Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain alternatives?

Aloha · 38 · 5884

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Keychain alternatives?
on: August 23, 2018, 09:33:31 PM
Show your key gadgets, gizmos, holders, clips, rings, carabiners, modded stuff, anything key related. 

I was looking at Keybar again.  This seems like a great idea, BUT, its still bulky.  I thought about doing the Micra key mod......   :think:

I'd love to go keyless.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Keychain alternatives?
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:45:44 PM
The best thing when living in a hotel is having a key card instead of a key? :)

I use one of these: https://www.orbitkey.com/collections/key-organiser/products/orbitkey-2-0-active?variant=8198980993120

Lighter and slimmer than the alternatives I've seen, but I only need to carry three keys every day.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:54:20 PM
Keys are just a pain in the butt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:55:26 PM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:03:23 PM
They sure are.  I envy those who only have to carry a couple keys.  I have been looking for a way for years to solve two problems.  One, condense my keys as flat as possible.  You'd think since keys are flat that'd be easy.  Two, carry my required keychain edc, Manager, Fenix AAA light, and 2 pill fobs.

I found a picture of whats called Carbocage Keyholder.  It looks promising.  I think however I'll try to make something.  I have a few ideas swimming around. 

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 06:31:23 PM
I only carry 4 keys. One a regular Yale, another a smaller mailbox key. Problem is that one of the others is a telescopic key, with "teeth" on both sides. Another is an office desk key, with a bulky "handle".

Difficult to ket a slim way to carry these. I have a small pouch where I also carry my phone cord.

:-\

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 06:37:33 PM
I have a Tumi key wallet but it didn't work out for me. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:06:46 PM
My sad realization after trying many alternatives is that the Keys themselves are already pretty well as streamlined as they can realistically be and any attempt to make them behave can only add bulk in the end.
Normal keychains do get tangled and heavy in the pocket but anything like the Keybar style is going to add at least 2 slabs to reign the keys in and then I end up with a metal ingot in the pocket which is arguably worse as a solution than the original problem ever was?
Also if I need to change or delete a key it is not that simple in a Keybar setup and then I also just have keys that will not fit into that design which takes me back to a hybrid solution anyway and not much is improved overall from my experiments at least?

My Key Issues do seem to be entertaining to others at least! :dunno:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 07:27:05 PM
I don't have as many keys as you've shown.  I do like your set ups.  The middle is your own creation?

I agree with any solution often make it bulky.  I dream of a keyless solution but the reality is not any time soon or ever. 

I have some sick keychain fetish I think  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 11:11:30 PM
I don't have as many keys as you've shown.  I do like your set ups.  The middle is your own creation?

I agree with any solution often make it bulky.  I dream of a keyless solution but the reality is not any time soon or ever. 

I have some sick keychain fetish I think  :facepalm:

The middle one is this

https://www.cineik.com/k-addict.html

I can't remember how I came across them but I like it the best of the ones that I have tried and the price is a good reason as well as design!

I do need to carry way too many keys and if I could ever stop buying cars it might be a little better?

They are pretty much like tools to me though,I just need what I need so I try to accept it.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 04:02:56 PM
Heatshring tubing + something on the end to pull on.
20180921_155414.jpg
* 20180921_155414.jpg (Filesize: 94.46 KB)
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 04:06:34 PM
Key wet suit  :D

Full disclosure.   I really think I have some weird affinity to taking my keychain apart and putting it back together again.  I
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 05:17:04 PM

Is that easy to reinsert the key?! It looks like once you remove the key, you won't be able to insert it again...

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:34:35 PM

Is that easy to reinsert the key?! It looks like once you remove the key, you won't be able to insert it again...

You pull out all the keys at once. When you are done using them you push them back in. It works a bit like kydex.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 05:54:02 PM
Something a little diff then the carabiner that I always had, and with all the walking I got tired of hearing the thing sound like wind chimes! Also kinda funny since I re-did all the locks on the house and garage, so all deadbolts and handle locks are the same, so I only need one key.. but you can’t go anywhere without a mini flashlight and sak, and of course key size coupon cards..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 06:09:24 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 06:09:47 PM
I like that MadP.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 07:56:36 PM
I like that MadP.   :tu:
Thanks, a little overkill if you ask me, I was thinking of one of those military style but I just made one.. I’ll never forget my grandfathers, he had like a 1-1/2” - 2” split ring LOADED with keys then attached to one of those spring loaded rewind cable devices, or a heavy leather strap, I thought about getting one of those cables also but just didn’t know which way to go..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 12:17:34 PM

You pull out all the keys at once. When you are done using them you push them back in. It works a bit like kydex.

My problem is having 4 keys and they're awl different shapes and different sizes.

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 12:23:04 PM

My problem is having 4 keys and they're awl different shapes and different sizes.

That is not a problem for this setup. Keys must stay in same arrangement in any case so no harm done if they are of somewhat different sizes.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 03:57:46 PM

That is not a problem for this setup. Keys must stay in same arrangement in any case so no harm done if they are of somewhat different sizes.

Ok, I'll give it a try. I think I still have a piece of shrink tube I used for a bycicle chain.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline AndersonJoan

• New User
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 01:13:32 PM
Hey, I just thought of another alternative which is a keychain photo. It might be anything you want, I find it rather interesting!

ar Offline wmoco

Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 02:02:30 PM
My sad realization after trying many alternatives is that the Keys themselves are already pretty well as streamlined as they can realistically be and any attempt to make them behave can only add bulk in the end.
Normal keychains do get tangled and heavy in the pocket but anything like the Keybar style is going to add at least 2 slabs to reign the keys in and then I end up with a metal ingot in the pocket which is arguably worse as a solution than the original problem ever was?

I couldn't agree more with this.

I want it to follow contours (body and pocket) as much as posible. It's easier if everything hangs free inside the pocket, attached to the belt or a belt loop.
Nothing fancy to write here...

00 Offline AndersonJoan

• New User
Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 08:21:31 PM
Yeah, agree with you. I don't like keychains that bump out a lot.

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 01:14:49 PM
I carry my keychain in a Milspec Monkey zippered key pouch. I got tired of sounding like Santa Claus with the jingling every time I walked, Now it’s nice and quiet.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 02:26:20 PM
I carry my keychain in a Milspec Monkey zippered key pouch. I got tired of sounding like Santa Claus with the jingling every time I walked, Now it’s nice and quiet.

Which one do you use? I have a leather one for my work keys but they don't last long.

Edit: its ok, a quick google found them

00 Offline AndersonJoan

• New User
Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 11:17:10 PM
By the way, I have the cutest keychain ever! I love collecting keychains, but actually use it one by one, I don't like when there are too many things along with my keys, they only bother. Recently, my boyfriend has given me the most precious gift ever! It was a keychain with a spotify music code on it! It is a code of our song. I liked it so much that decided to give him one too, so he would have something to remind him of me too. I found where you can LINK REMOVED and did him one too :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:34:20 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 01:50:26 AM
 :worthless:

:whistle:

I took apart my keychain and then put it back together the exact same way  :facepalm:.  I'm obsessed with keychains. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline andywork

Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 05:13:33 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Keysmart because I hate keys! And sounding like a jailer (or morris dancer :D), when I'm walking down the street, too.
The joys of being a cyclist that has too many bikes. And way too many locks. ;)

By the way, have you ever thought about getting all your locks "keyed alike", i.e. one key for multiple locks?
Even though I have only four keys on my Keysmart, they open around eight different locks!
I may even try and get that number down to one, at some point, if I can? "One key to rule them all!" :dd:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:16:31 PM by Poncho65 »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 15, 2021, 07:56:18 AM
Victorinox keychain
Swivel (got another one at the other end of the chain, slightly too large and fairly heavy, one in Ti would be sweet)
Quick release (Tec Accessories Python-QR. Doesn't come apart by simply pulling. Not easy to operate, so less worry that your keys are stolen, while you still can take the keys off.)
and the piece de la resistance, lanyard loop and pivot from a Charge (tight enough so the keys don't freely rotate but still can be easily fanned out and selected).

Fairly happy with the setup. The colour mis-match and the mixing styles of the various elements are a bit of an eye-sore, but functionally speaking this is great.
keychain.jpg
* keychain.jpg (Filesize: 111.44 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: June 15, 2021, 03:53:56 PM
Ok, I was thinking of posting this somewhere but I didn’t know where? So since it popped up here well, I guess here?

Last night I thought about getting one of those what they call ufo’s or motherships, depending on what size, then after either putting these on if they would fit through or have to put split rings and mini clips and one nice carabiner either through the center, or a larger split ring off the other end? Any thoughts?
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%