Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Checking in from PA, USA

Offline PierceFan

• New User
Checking in from PA, USA
on: August 26, 2018, 08:42:58 AM
Greetings, fine people of the MultiTool forum. Figured I'd check in, then go back to lurking!

Long time user and aficionado of both Victorinox :climber: and Leatherman :multi:

Started out with a small, unremarkable SAK in Cub Scouts many moons ago, which I barely remember and is long gone. Eventually graduating to a Champion as a gift when I was around 13, circa 1988. Big sucker, but wasn't bad carrying on my belt throughout the next few years of scouting, and on many occasions came in quite handy in the woods while hiking and camping. Sadly, I lost that knife at some point in my early 20s, as by that point I wasn't carrying it around often and it apparently grew legs.

By that point I had already moved on to a Leatherman PST, circa 1994, as I needed a good set of pliers in addition to the standard SAK compliment of tools. That PST served me well for many years, until I finally snapped off the tip of the blade in 2005ish. Leatherman replaced the whole tool with a new one, at which point of course the PST was already discontinued, so I likely have one of the last original models produced. I still have and use that replacement on a daily basis, and have never really felt the urgency to upgrade to something more modern.

I was also gifted a Leatherman Super Tool by my dad circa 2000, however I somehow wound up losing that one as well a few years later! Perhaps it's living the good life with my old Champion, who knows. :facepalm:

A few years ago my father was in Switzerland, and decided it would be cool to pick me up a SAK while actually in the country of their origin, albeit not at the factory store in Ibach, but at a shop 16 miles to the west in Lucerne. So close, yet so far away! My father knowing me as he does picked up one of the few models that has the Phillips screwdriver on the back instead of the corkscrew, a Super Tinker. He even had my name engraved on the scale, how thoughtful!

That Super Tinker has been my EDC since I received it, and has served me well alongside the Leatherman. The other day I decided to replace the scales, which were a little worn and a little loose. Found a good deal on a pair of the translucent ruby red plus models, which came with brand new toothpick, tweezers, and the ballpoint pen...a nice little upgrade from the stock scales. Boy, those translucent scales sure do look sharp, especially if you're a hardware/tech geek and enjoy seeing the inner workings of things.

I also have an older Hiker model, which I like because of the wood saw. I don't carry that one every day, but if going out in the woods I'll grab that one instead of the Super Tinker, as I find the saw more valuable to have than the scissors when outdoors. I also replaced the scales on those with translucent ruby red, but didn't add the pen. The action on that knife is not that crisp anymore, even after washing and oiling, but it's fine for the purpose it serves. Blades and saw are sharp, which is what matters most.

I realize that this was quite the long-winded post for an introduction, however since I'm not prone to posting much on forums like this, I figured I'd get it all out in one sitting. To those who have stayed with me this long, I offer an apology for wasting the last couple of minutes of your life reading through this!  :dunno:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Checking in from PA, USA
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:35:06 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  PierceFan. :cheers:

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:41:37 AM
Welcome aboard 👍🏻
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 12:43:20 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 12:56:45 PM
The last couple minutes of my life??

!!!

Am I going to die?! :ahhh

Welcome! :waving:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:16:06 PM
Welcome aboard  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 02:47:33 PM
Welcome, PierceFan. Great intro and history.  :cheers:

I was just reading The Complete Walker, in which Colin Fletcher says he carried a [Super] Tinker for years. He ended up replacing it with a Classic, but I got the feeling he may have preferred the Super Tinker. Great choice for a backpacking trip....or an EDC.  :tu:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:46 PM
welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 04:11:20 PM
Welcome to :MTO: PF :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 03:54:26 PM
Welcome!

:cheers: :tu:

Now forget about going back to lurking and join the conversations!

:pok: :pok: 8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 04:27:53 PM
 :iagree: :pok:

And welcome!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 04:37:16 PM
Welcome aboard from a ex-PA member,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%