Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK’s and others for Police Forces / Law Enforcement

EMZ · 71 · 11022

nl Offline EMZ

While cleaning up my attic I found some SAK’s and other knives and multitools that I used to carry when I was on active police duty. Wondering about other ‘police use’ knives, I thought it would make a nice and interesting topic. So let me take the lead and show you the SAK’s and tools I carried along when I was working as a law enforcement officer.

1st PICTURE.

Top Left:
A Victorinox Trooper. I bought this one around 1980 when I left the RNLAF. This one was carried as my EDC police pocket knife. Used it untill around 1995.
The Trooper was the civilian version of the German Army Knife (GAK) aka ‘Bundeswehr Taschenmesser’ or ‘BW-Stumpf’. (BTW: I am looking for a NIB and complete, original Vic GAK…)

Top Middle:
Around 1995 I bought this Spyderco C14 Rescue Knife (G-2 steel). I paid around $ 20, which was very cheap, as probably no one wanted a Spyderco with green slabs.
It was mostly carried in a belt pouch. I carried the Spyderco most of the time in combination with a standard SAK (for example a Spartan) or the military 1993 DAK.

Top Right:
Around 1997-1998 I got this Leatherman Super Tool, but I after a while found it too heavy to carry on on my belt (together with pistol, spare mag, hand cuffs, radio, gloves, baton, pepper spray and flash light), so I switched back to my trusted Spyderco C14 and pocket knives.
As far as I know this LM Super Tool was the only multitool/knife officially issued to some police officers. It was not standard equipment, but only for special assignments. I have no idea why and how I got this one, because I was never on special assignments!!

Bottom Left:
Somewhere around the late 90’s I bought me this Dutch Army Knife type ‘KL93’. It was very well suited for on and off duty EDC as well as carrying in plain cloths. In those days these knives cost about $ 10-15 so it was not a big expence.

Bottom Left:
The ‘KL93’ type knife is a perfect EDC knife, especially if you want something bigger than the standard SAK size.

Bottom Right:
Victorinox Spirit. In my opinion the best allround multitool available. I opted the DAK version because the butter knife can be used as a rescue blade. It is slim, smooth (makes easy cleaning!), strong, light weight and rugged. It’s very important that the tools can be locked and unlocked very easily.
I used the Spirit for only a very short time. Now it is sitting in my car, and I use a standard 2-4 layer SAK’s for civilian EDC.

2nd PICTURE.
This SwissCard was a present / promotional item from around 2003. I never used it. It now has been promoted to Shelf Queen.

I know there are more Dutch police promo knives around, but they are very rare. The Swiss police forces have many types and styles, but unfortunately the Dutch police hasn’t, not even a standard issue pocket knife or multitool. But maybe, just maybe, things are gonna change…

Please feel free to post your Law Enforcement SAK’s and other knives & multitools!!
P8265222.JPG
* P8265222.JPG (Filesize: 251.17 KB)
P8265209.JPG
* P8265209.JPG (Filesize: 288.41 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: SAK’s and others for Police Forces / Law Enforcement
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:59:51 PM
Great stuff!!

However, you want a NIB GAK?
Even if you find a mint GAK, are you sure they came in Vic boxes back then?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 12:29:30 AM
I've carried a Leatherman Rebar on my duty belt for a number of years.  I think I've used every tool on it while on duty at one time or another.. I've packed my 111 GAK, Swisschamp, and other SAKs at various times and even a Classic SD or Opinel 6 in my shirt pocket for easy reach when I'm sitting in the car.  Great thread!!
Barry

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 12:38:07 AM
While cleaning up my attic I found some SAK’s and other knives and multitools that I used to carry when I was on active police duty. Wondering about other ‘police use’ knives, I thought it would make a nice and interesting topic. So let me take the lead and show you the SAK’s and tools I carried along when I was working as a law enforcement officer.

1st PICTURE.

Top Left:
A Victorinox Trooper. I bought this one around 1980 when I left the RNLAF. This one was carried as my EDC police pocket knife. Used it untill around 1995.
The Trooper was the civilian version of the German Army Knife (GAK) aka ‘Bundeswehr Taschenmesser’ or ‘BW-Stumpf’. (BTW: I am looking for a NIB and complete, original Vic GAK…)

Top Middle:
Around 1995 I bought this Spyderco C14 Rescue Knife (G-2 steel). I paid around $ 20, which was very cheap, as probably no one wanted a Spyderco with green slabs.
It was mostly carried in a belt pouch. I carried the Spyderco most of the time in combination with a standard SAK (for example a Spartan) or the military 1993 DAK.

Top Right:
Around 1997-1998 I got this Leatherman Super Tool, but I after a while found it too heavy to carry on on my belt (together with pistol, spare mag, hand cuffs, radio, gloves, baton, pepper spray and flash light), so I switched back to my trusted Spyderco C14 and pocket knives.
As far as I know this LM Super Tool was the only multitool/knife officially issued to some police officers. It was not standard equipment, but only for special assignments. I have no idea why and how I got this one, because I was never on special assignments!!

Bottom Left:
Somewhere around the late 90’s I bought me this Dutch Army Knife type ‘KL93’. It was very well suited for on and off duty EDC as well as carrying in plain cloths. In those days these knives cost about $ 10-15 so it was not a big expence.

Bottom Left:
The ‘KL93’ type knife is a perfect EDC knife, especially if you want something bigger than the standard SAK size.

Bottom Right:
Victorinox Spirit. In my opinion the best allround multitool available. I opted the DAK version because the butter knife can be used as a rescue blade. It is slim, smooth (makes easy cleaning!), strong, light weight and rugged. It’s very important that the tools can be locked and unlocked very easily.
I used the Spirit for only a very short time. Now it is sitting in my car, and I use a standard 2-4 layer SAK’s for civilian EDC.

2nd PICTURE.
This SwissCard was a present / promotional item from around 2003. I never used it. It now has been promoted to Shelf Queen.

I know there are more Dutch police promo knives around, but they are very rare. The Swiss police forces have many types and styles, but unfortunately the Dutch police hasn’t, not even a standard issue pocket knife or multitool. But maybe, just maybe, things are gonna change…

Please feel free to post your Law Enforcement SAK’s and other knives & multitools!!
I carry the same Spyderco rescue knife in the chest harness for my radio :tu: and generally a super tool on my belt especially on ground searches or when working out of the command trailer (we don't always have it, but when we do there's almost always something electrical I need to fix)
If I don't have my full and proper gear on, like if I leave work or a social outing to respond, there's a modern German army knife (the one handed trekker style) and a Leatherman squirt p4 in my day pack always!
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:31:43 PM
 :like:  :popcorn:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:11:34 PM
Last week there was a fragment on tv of Dutch police officers dismantling a XTC-lab. I made a screen shot of the moment that one of the unrecognizable officers opened a plastic bag or container, using a Victorinox Rescue knife. Probably this knife was payed for by the agency.

BTW: The Netherlands is the worlds largest XTC producing and exporting country in the world. Nothing to be proud of...
Knipsel NOS Jpurnaal Vic politie.jpg
* Knipsel NOS Jpurnaal Vic politie.jpg (Filesize: 78.86 KB)

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:45 AM
Looks like the Italian police issued this......

One picture shows it with a pointy blade and one with rounded tip.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:46:12 AM
From Wikipedia;
The Polizia di Stato (State Police or P.S.) is one of the national police forces of Italy.
It is the main police force for providing police duties and it is also responsible for highway patrol (autostrade), railways (ferrovie), airports (aeroporti), customs (together with the Guardia di Finanza) as well as certain waterways, and assisting the local police forces.

It was a military force until 1981 when the Italian State Law 121 was passed. This converted the State Police to a civil force, which is in contrast to the other main police forces of Italy: the Arma dei Carabinieri, which is a military police (gendarmerie) force and the Guardia di Finanza, the Italian customs and border protection police that also falls in the military corps category.

The Polizia di Stato is the principal Italian police force for the maintenance of public security and as such it is run directly from the Dipartimento della Pubblica Sicurezza (Department of Public Security), and the keeping of public order (ordine pubblico).
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 05:07:11 PM
In 2018 I took a snap shot of the Victorinox show table at a gun show.
When I took a closer look at the picture I noticed this 'police tool'. This SwissTool has the enscription "politie eigendom NP 2018/4", what translates to "police property N(ational) P(olice).
Finally I got some information about the tool. The Dutch police had a tender for 10.000 multitools. Ths was teh Victorinox contender. At the end a special Leatherman tool got the order. I haven't seen any Netherlands Police Leathermans yet, but I'll be watching!

20180612_110818 klein klein.jpg
* 20180612_110818 klein klein.jpg (Filesize: 43.07 KB)

* Victorinox politie.jpg (Filesize: 30.11 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 06:52:38 PM
Interesting.   :popcorn:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 07:40:15 PM
 :iagree: :popcorn:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 08:44:51 PM
As promised: Here's the winner of the Netherlands Police multi-tool tender, the Leatherman Wave+.
I like the label inside the pouch!

Enjoy!!

All that reminds of the Victorinox contender is a blurry picture....  :(

politie Leatherman Wave+ 1 klein.JPG
* politie Leatherman Wave+ 1 klein.JPG (Filesize: 136 KB)
Politie Leatherman Wave+ 2 klein.JPG
* Politie Leatherman Wave+ 2 klein.JPG (Filesize: 130.35 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 09:08:29 PM
Is that an exclusive sheath?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 09:13:03 PM
As promised: Here's the winner of the Netherlands Police multi-tool tender, the Leatherman Wave+.
I like the label inside the pouch!

Enjoy!!

All that reminds of the Victorinox contender is a blurry picture....  :(

Okay, I need to know ...

Is there any way to get ones hands on this besides joining the Dutch Police ... ?  :pok:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 09:15:09 PM
Is that an exclusive sheath?

Good question!
I don't think it is a genuine Leatherman sheet. On the inside of the plastic flap it is marker 'RADAR'.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 09:26:09 PM
Okay, I need to know ...

Is there any way to get ones hands on this besides joining the Dutch Police ... ?  :pok:

No. Sorry!
You have to join, or know a police officer who is willing to give you one or do a swap. However probably most officers will be reluctant to give one away, because it's government property.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 10:44:12 PM
This Netherlands Police LM Wave Plus is NOT a standard LM Wave PLUS, as I just discovered.  :ahhh

- The serrated blade is not the standard serrated blade of the Wave Plus. No, it has the serrated blade with belt cutter as seen on the Charge!
- It has no can opener, but instead an awl/reamer.

Probably this model was made on special order for the Dutch Police. :woohoo:
P5126172.JPG
* P5126172.JPG (Filesize: 277.77 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 11:44:31 PM
This Netherlands Police LM Wave Plus is NOT a standard LM Wave PLUS, as I just discovered.  :ahhh

- The serrated blade is not the standard serrated blade of the Wave Plus. No, it has the serrated blade with belt cutter as seen on the Charge!

Now that's what the Wave+ SHOULD have been!  More of an upgrade than just the pliers.  For me, it's the perfect tool. Guess it's time I buy the parts and get to work.

And in terms to your Spyderco Rescue Knife. I love the dark green color. Here in the States, most sold seemed to be orange or black; a bit garish and black gets boring.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 12:11:59 AM
I agree Cody.  My partner on the night shift has a metal handle Spyderco Police, which is a nice change of pace from the standard fare.  I have to say that I don't mind orange though!  All of my Spydies are black handled.
Barry

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:26 PM

:like:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 03:58:06 PM
Looks like the Italian police issued this......

One picture shows it with a pointy blade and one with rounded tip.
Funky, rescue tool with saw instead of flat screwdriver
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 08:31:15 PM
Funky, rescue tool with saw instead of flat screwdriver

It looks like the screwdriver/cap lifter is still there.  The wood saw appears to be be an addition, not a replacement, making it one layer thicker than the standard Rescue Tool.

- FiL

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 08:44:31 PM
It looks like the screwdriver/cap lifter is still there.  The wood saw appears to be be an addition, not a replacement, making it one layer thicker than the standard Rescue Tool.
Yes.

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 08:53:06 PM
And another Rescue Tool -- made for  the Gendarmerie of San Marino.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 09:28:35 PM
Found on the internet. Not Victorinox, but a Spanish made Aitor Gran Patrullero model made for the Catalan Mossos D'esquadra (regional police) in the 1980’s.  :2tu:
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 12:45:50 AM
During my LE days the only SAK I owned was a Huntsman that I carried in my Go Bag.   In uniform I carried a Benchmade AFCK, later as a detective I carried a Buck 303 stockman.
Perception is reality

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 04:09:57 AM
I carried my Huntsman on duty for almost 10 years before I picked up a Rebar.  I still take my Trekker out with me.  It's hard to beat that knife!
Barry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 09:10:05 AM
I carried my Huntsman on duty for almost 10 years before I picked up a Rebar.  I still take my Trekker out with me.  It's hard to beat that knife!

Totally agree, if there is anyone 111mm SAK I will always go to for outdoor use, the OH trekker is the one. :cheers:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 07:49:00 PM
In addition to my earlier post about the special Leatherman Wave+ for the Dutch Police, I now have a picture of the whole set, so including multitool, pouch, packing, labels and instruction manuals and guides.
The LM instruction guide is from 2018.
Leatherman politie multitool wave+.JPG
* Leatherman politie multitool wave+.JPG (Filesize: 126.46 KB)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 12:02:18 PM
And a picture of the complete set plus the Dutch Police instruction guide.
Leatherman wave+ politie klein.JPG
* Leatherman wave+ politie klein.JPG (Filesize: 117.83 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%