Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Collectors, ever seen a Multi-plier knockoff with fixed (non-sliding) jaws?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Picked this up in a lot of multitools. Before I cannibalize it for parts for modding, I figured I'd post a picture or two here. I've never seen a non-sliding knockoff version before. So here ya go!

Charles.
IMG_4655.jpg
* IMG_4655.jpg (Filesize: 143.63 KB)
IMG_4656.jpg
* IMG_4656.jpg (Filesize: 153.14 KB)
IMG_4657.jpg
* IMG_4657.jpg (Filesize: 129.84 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
First for me too! I would keep this particular one intact though.

• No Life Club
Well, if you want it, I'll trade it for a lanyard loop and file out of a multiplier (or a multiplier copy). Must not be locking tools like the MP600.

Charles.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Well, if you want it, I'll trade it for a lanyard loop and file out of a multiplier (or a multiplier copy). Must not be locking tools like the MP600.

If Sam doesn't want it let me know, I'm sure i can find some bits for you.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club

If Sam doesn't want it let me know, I'm sure i can find some bits for you.

:salute: I will have to pass. Not that I dun want. But to send the parts over to the US from where I am doesn't make sense. Greg, u can have it. Thanks Cc!

• No Life Club
Well I figured out Gerber parts won’t work for my mods, so this unmolested, unmodified non-sliding clone is up for grabs. Im asking a tenner, including shipping in the continental USA.

Charles.

au Offline gregozedobe

Well I figured out Gerber parts won’t work for my mods, so this unmolested, unmodified non-sliding clone is up for grabs. Im asking a tenner, including shipping in the continental USA.

Charles.

Any chance you'd ship it to Australia (I'll pay for shipping) ?

Or is there a trade you'd prefer ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• No Life Club
Just FYI that fixed plier knockoff is on it’s way to its new owner in Australia!

Charles.

au Offline gregozedobe

Just FYI that fixed plier knockoff is on it’s way to its new owner in Australia!

:D  I am rather partial to my odd-ball tools.

This one appealed because in my imagination the design process went something like this:

Marketer: Let's copy a Mr Pinchy.
Management:  OK
Tool maker:  Oh, the sliding pliers design is a bear to engineer and it will cost an extra 10c per tool.
Accounts:  We can't have that, can you make it cheaper somehow ?
Office Cleaner: I know, just have fixed pliers, a bit like those Sog Toolclip knock-offs we made last month.
Accountant:  Sounds excellent, and while you are at it use rivets rather than screws, that saves 1c per tool :)
Designer:  But then it isn't very compact and it's not the same as a real Mr Pinchy.
Marketer: That's OK, our target audience won't notice (or care)
Management:  Just make the thing as cheaply as possible and get it out of the way, my bonus is depending on this month's production numbers.

some time later....
Marketer:  This tool just isn't selling
Accountant:  Well make something else, I know, try that PST as a basis......
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:15:44 AM by gregozedobe »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club

This one appealed because in my imagination the design process went something like this:

Tool maker:  Oh, the sliding pliers design is a bear to engineer and it will cost an extra 10c per tool.
Office Cleaner: I know, just have fixed pliers, a bit like those Sog Toolclip knock-offs we made last month.
Accountant:  Sounds excellent, and while you are at it use rivets rather than screws, that saves 1c per tool :)
Designer:  But then it isn't very compact and it's not the same as a real Mr Pinchy.
Management:  Just make the thing as cheaply as possible and get it out of the way, my bonus is depending on this month's production numbers.

some time later....

:rofl: I like how the office cleaner have a part in this. But in real life, I believe all the various appointment are held by one person.. For maximum cost savings. And bonus...  :rofl: :rofl:

au Offline gregozedobe

some time later....

UPDATE:

Now that I have this tool in my hand I am even more amused.  :rofl:

It looks like the pliers were actually machined to be the same as the original Mr Pinchy, but they must have then decided the sliding mechanism was going to be too difficult/expensive to implement properly, so instead they just riveted the pliers to the handles in the "out" (deployed) position.  Maybe the slots weakened the handles too much, or it was hard to get the sliding mechanism working correctly.

Thanks Charles  :tu:

• No Life Club
Yup. But the machining isn't good either... the wire cutters suck!

Charles.

au Offline gregozedobe

Yup. But the machining isn't good either... the wire cutters suck!

Charles.

I long ago gave up expecting (or even hoping for) proper functionality from my odd-ball el-cheapoMTls, that way I'm not disappointed.   ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%