Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evaporust is my new favorite product!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
on: August 28, 2018, 08:29:04 AM
I have a bunch of old hand tools like wrenches, sockets, ratchets, etc. The vast majority are covered in rust and it’s been very time consuming and tedious work cleaning them all, expecially the sockets. I did some research on alternate cleaning options and came across this solution called Evaporust. It’s not like other rust removers. It is completely safe to handle without gloves. Food safe I believe. You can pour it down the drain to dispose of it. It sounds to good to be true. I decided to try it out on a bunch of tools and it worked beautifully! Put about 50 sockets in a Tupperware container. Filled it up until everything was submerged and let it sit for 24 hours. (It works within 1-12 hours but I left mine in longer). Pulled out the tools and simply rinse with water. That’s it! The best part is, it’s reusable. You can keep on using it until it stops working to remove rust. This stuff is a gift from the heavens. I bought the gallon to try but see a 5 gallon in my future! It’s safe on wood, plastics, rubber, etc so it should be perfect for removing rust on multitools. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:41:10 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: Evaporust is my new favorite product!
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:00:30 PM
I have a bunch of old hand tools like wrenches, sockets, ratchets, etc. The vast majority are covered in rust and it’s been very time consuming and tedious work cleaning them all, expecially the sockets. I did some research on alternate cleaning options and came across this solution called Evaporust. It’s not like other rust removers. It is completely safe to handle without gloves. Food safe I believe. You can pour it down the drain to dispose of it. It sounds to good to be true. I decided to try it out on a bunch of tools and it worked beautifully! Put about 50 sockets in a Tupperware container. Filled it up until everything was submerged and let it sit for 24 hours. (It works within 1-12 hours but I left mine in longer). Pulled out the tools and simply rinse with water. That’s it! The best part is, it’s reusable. You can keep on using it until it stops working to remove rust. This stuff is a gift from the heavens. I bought the gallon to try but see a 5 gallon in my future! It’s safe on wood, plastics, rubber, etc so it should be perfect for removing rust on multitools. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!

Most of the old tool collectors use this on their more recent resale stock.  You can filter it through cheese cloth to make it last even longer.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:07:27 PM
That stuff sounds amazing. I wire wheel(brass wheel works best) and re-oil most of my hand tools once a year to remove rust spots. I am certainly going to get some of that stuff. Thanks for posting about it, captain! :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:03:10 PM
There’s a YouTube’er named “hand tool rescue” who uses this stuff all the time, stuff looks amazing.

I haven’t tried it myself though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 04:08:06 PM
Thanks Capt.  I dont have a bunch of rusting steel but its nice to know of a product that'll work..   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 04:20:31 PM

Most of the old tool collectors use this on their more recent resale stock.  You can filter it through cheese cloth to make it last even longer.

I don’t have cheese cloth, but was actually thinking of running it through a coffee filter instead.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 04:24:17 PM
Glad I can bring attention to the product to those who don’t know about it. I really am so happy I found this product as it has saved me so much time and back pain (literally) when cleaning up all these old tools. That and the fact that it is very safe to use is amazing for me.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:10 PM
Thanks Capt.  I dont have a bunch of rusting steel but its nice to know of a product that'll work..   :tu:

They do sell smaller volume than a gallon if you just wanted some to keep on hand just in case. I think my next project with Evaporust will be cast iron pan restoration which I heard it does very well.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 04:42:35 PM
Thats a great idea Capt.  I have used easy off oven cleaner for cast iron as well as the high temp bake cycle method.  Both worked well but goodness the oven clean is really powerful. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 05:07:04 PM
That’s the reason I like Evaporust is it is completely safe to use, even with bare hands and I believe it is safe if it gets in your eyes. Also if you need to cover a large area and don’t want to use a bunch of Evaporust to submerge the entire item you can soak paper towels and wrap the item. Then wrap the entire item in plastic to keep it from evaporating and your good to go.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 05:08:57 PM
Looks like my local HF&T carries it. 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 05:11:21 PM
Except for the ingredient list, the material safety data sheet is practically the same as the one for water when it comes to potential hazards. :rofl: :like:
https://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/technical-info/
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 05:15:11 PM
After looking a little, its available a few places locally, Wally World included. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 05:28:26 PM

I don’t have cheese cloth, but was actually thinking of running it through a coffee filter instead.

Next time you are at Home Depot or the paint store get a paint strainer bag. They are only a couple of bucks and hold up better than cheesecloth. They come in 1 or 5 gal. size and are pretty handy to have.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 05:43:15 PM
After looking a little, its available a few places locally, Wally World included.

I was going to mention Wally World to you. I could not find it at my local WW, but I didn’t ask anyone where it was either. I figure it’s probably least expensive there.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 05:43:42 PM

Next time you are at Home Depot or the paint store get a paint strainer bag. They are only a couple of bucks and hold up better than cheesecloth. They come in 1 or 5 gal. size and are pretty handy to have.

Will do. Thank you!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 06:01:35 PM

:tu: :salute:

:cheers:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 05:03:15 PM
Evaporust update!

I have cleaned hundreds of hand tools and over 200 sockets with the gallon of Evaporust and it’s saved me so much time and labor I cannot even begin to explain. I wish I knew about this stuff when I was cleaning a lot of multiple as it would of saved me so much time.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 05:04:50 PM
Dang.  I totally forgot to pick some up.   Thanks for the reminder and update. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 05:08:43 PM
No problem buddy!
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 05:10:03 PM
I just Evaporusted some old axe heads and a few hammer heads as well as ball peen hammer heads. Can’t wait to get some handles and rehandle them.  :cheers:
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD