Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

complete collection for sale

Offline Turtle X

complete collection for sale
on: August 28, 2018, 01:44:17 PM
i have a complete collection of leatherman for sale . original pst through wingman 27 tools . in a display i made . in the order they were made .

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: complete collection for sale
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 01:49:10 PM
Welcome to the forum, Turtle X. :tu:

I'll move this to the for sale section where it belongs.

There are a few things you can do to make the sale a bit easier and more likely:

list exactly what it is you're selling
post some clear pictures showing condition and the various models
gives some prices including shipping
indicate if you're willing to split the collection
let us know where you are and if you're willing to ship outside of your country
introduce yourself so we know a bit more about you please?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 01:52:52 PM
Welcome to the forum , That sounds like a great collection   :tu:

You might want to introduce yourself in the new member area .

:cheers:

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 01:53:05 PM

There are a few things you can do to make the sale a bit easier and more likely:

:iagree:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:53:56 PM
Welcome to the forum , That sounds like a great collection   :tu:

You might want to introduce yourself in the new member area .

:cheers:

:iagree:  as well!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 03:18:08 PM
Hehe. 27 tools a complete collection? :whistle:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 03:54:42 PM

Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 04:06:58 PM
 :worthless:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Turtle X

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 07:20:05 PM
sorry , new here . didnt realize there was a section for selling . thanks for the assist. i did try 3 times to attach a picture . the first time it might have been too big , but i know the 2nd and third times nothing happened . as far as listing the items , thats not a bad idea , except when there are 23 of them then its gettign a little labor intensive . as for price , im nto sure what a decent and fair price is , ive never tried to sell them before . i do know ( or at least i think ) that the MINI tool and the sideclip are rarer but as far as the others im not sure . im not a seller or dealer , merely a collector fallen on hard times .

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 07:29:57 PM
Prices vary.  New vs used certainly play a part in how much one can expect to get.  Maybe have a look at the sell threads on MTO(https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,7.0.html ) to see what similar tools have sold for.  E bay is also a decent reference as well.  Since only you know the condition you can compare against the average price sold.

:tu: hope that pointed you in the right direction.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 07:31:03 PM
It is all super condition determined. A mini-tool can be worth $20 up to $80. Type, finish, condition, etc. Even a little wear will cause some serious OCD collectors to steer clear. If I were you, I'd list them individually with auctions starting at $20 each. Take good photos of everything, even the tools. Write a clear and accurate description. And the values will manifest in how high the bids go. It doesn't matter if you start auctions at $20, because if they are worth more, the bids will reflect that and end up about where they should be. :tu:.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Turtle X

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 07:39:35 PM
okay , second time is a charm ..
i am looking to sell my entire collection . they are mounted on a wall hanging display i made . they are mounted in the order they were released ( to the best of my knowledge) from the pst through the wingman . i will list the specific models below . i am looking to sell it as a complete set . serious offers only . some of them have been used , but all of them are in excellent shape . there are 23 in total .

PST
MINI TOOL
SUPERTOOL ( ORIGINAL )
MICRA
PST2
SIDECLIP
WAVE ( ORIGINAL)
CRUNCH
FLAIR
SQUIRT P4
SQUIRT S4
SQUIRT (RADIO SHACK VERSION)
JUICE S2
JUICE C2
JUICE CS4
JUICE KF4
JUICE XE6
JUICE PRO
WAVE (2ND REVISION)
BLAST
FUSE
KICK
CORE
CHARGE
SUPERTOOL 300
STYLE CS
STYLE
WINGMAN

*** correction . i had believed it to be a complete collection , but as i list them i am realizing there are at least one other  model of charge that i dont have .

*** again , i am attempting to attach a pic but nothing seems to be happening , will message mgt and see if i am doing something wrong

--- okay got the picture attached , but now its sideways . ( i swear , im really NOT a complete idiot !)

--- further addendum , i believe that i have all of the sheaths that they came with ( not all of them did ) will have to visit storage and see . will post further on that when i get a chance
20180828_133536_Film3_resized.jpg
* 20180828_133536_Film3_resized.jpg (Filesize: 325.31 KB)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:53:14 PM by Turtle X »

Offline Turtle X

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:41:20 PM
Prices vary.  New vs used certainly play a part in how much one can expect to get.  Maybe have a look at the sell threads on MTO(https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,7.0.html ) to see what similar tools have sold for.  E bay is also a decent reference as well.  Since only you know the condition you can compare against the average price sold.

:tu: hope that pointed you in the right direction.   

thanks for the assist.

Offline Turtle X

Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:46:40 PM
It is all super condition determined. A mini-tool can be worth $20 up to $80. Type, finish, condition, etc. Even a little wear will cause some serious OCD collectors to steer clear. If I were you, I'd list them individually with auctions starting at $20 each. Take good photos of everything, even the tools. Write a clear and accurate description. And the values will manifest in how high the bids go. It doesn't matter if you start auctions at $20, because if they are worth more, the bids will reflect that and end up about where they should be. :tu:.
i appreciate what your saying , but selling one or two would ruin the display . and i dont really want to sell ANY of them , but i need to . id rather sell the whole lot and be done with it than to part them out .and selling one or two wouldn't help me out enough to make it worth ruining the display and the collection .  its not just "a bunch of weathermen tools" its a (nearly ) complete ( except for a charge variation or two ) including the rarer pst2 , mini , sideclip and crunch.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:13:43 PM
The problem with selling the display as a whole, is the fact that most people interested enough in multi tools to have a display, will already have some of the tools in the display. This seriously decreases potential profit, becaue whoever buys it is going to want to make some money on it when they sell off doubles in their collection, at your loss.
You can list it as a whole on ebay and see what happens, just make sure you set the reserve to the minimum amount of money you need to get for it.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 08:26:53 PM
Do we know the asking price? Did I miss it somewhere?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 08:47:09 PM
Cool display and nice collection  :like:.  I totally get you want to sell the items as a whole.  I wish you the best of luck. 

If I may however.  Many of the collectors are looking for specific item/s.  Some users of tools want a specific item or 3 as well  :D.  They may have tracked down many items and are just trying to add the missing tool.  Some are looking to get a better example.  We've certainly seen whole collections sell and then parted out by the buyer to recoup costs. 

Just trying to help out.  Sure hope you dont take my post the wrong way or an attempt to discourage you.   

Each tool has variants that certain collectors are after.  The PST has its own thread.  Pretty crazy all the variants on that tool alone.  Each tool you listed there are at least one other variant, if not more, with the exception of maybe one or two.  You'd be surprised how quickly each tool will sell individually vs as a set.  The display is sweet however you'd be surprised at some collectors "displays".  Mine for example is non existent  :facepalm:.  Large bin with tools inside with lots of desiccant.    :rofl:.  Others are elaborate and very personal like yours.   

My experience here on MTO with sellers of collections is,  most all members will ask to break up the display.  E bay might be the way to go.  The size of the display will factor in since shipping could be expensive for the buyer.  Personally if I bought the whole lot I'd ask you to remove each tool and ship in the smallest container possible. 

Again please don't take this the wrong way.  Having bought tools over the years from members and e bay is why I even chime in. 

Lastly, maybe group the tools together in smaller "families".  Wave/Charge,  Juices,  Kick/Fuse/Blast/Core, for example. 

All the best and sorry you are having to sell.
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Turtle X

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 08:53:08 PM
The problem with selling the display as a whole, is the fact that most people interested enough in multi tools to have a display, will already have some of the tools in the display. This seriously decreases potential profit, becaue whoever buys it is going to want to make some money on it when they sell off doubles in their collection, at your loss.
You can list it as a whole on ebay and see what happens, just make sure you set the reserve to the minimum amount of money you need to get for it.
the display goes with it

Offline Turtle X

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 08:59:42 PM
Cool display and nice collection  :like:.  I totally get you want to sell the items as a whole.  I wish you the best of luck. 

If I may however.  Many of the collectors are looking for specific item/s.  Some users of tools want a specific item or 3 as well  :D.  They may have tracked down many items and are just trying to add the missing tool.  Some are looking to get a better example.  We've certainly seen whole collections sell and then parted out by the buyer to recoup costs. 

Just trying to help out.  Sure hope you dont take my post the wrong way or an attempt to discourage you.   

Each tool has variants that certain collectors are after.  The PST has its own thread.  Pretty crazy all the variants on that tool alone.  Each tool you listed there are at least one other variant, if not more, with the exception of maybe one or two.  You'd be surprised how quickly each tool will sell individually vs as a set.  The display is sweet however you'd be surprised at some collectors "displays".  Mine for example is non existent  :facepalm:.  Large bin with tools inside with lots of desiccant.    :rofl:.  Others are elaborate and very personal like yours.   

My experience here on MTO with sellers of collections is,  most all members will ask to break up the display.  E bay might be the way to go.  The size of the display will factor in since shipping could be expensive for the buyer.  Personally if I bought the whole lot I'd ask you to remove each tool and ship in the smallest container possible. 

Again please don't take this the wrong way.  Having bought tools over the years from members and e bay is why I even chime in. 

Lastly, maybe group the tools together in smaller "families".  Wave/Charge,  Juices,  Kick/Fuse/Blast/Core, for example. 

All the best and sorry you are having to sell.

no , im not taking it the wrong way at all . i appreciate the input . and it looks like i probably wont sell . your right , people here are looking for specifics. i dont think i could sell it for anything what its worth on ebay . i could be wrong but when i think ebay i think of people trying to get the best bargain they can .i used to have the EXACT SAME DISPLAY AS YOU !(GRIN)  the display REALLY needs a wooden frame around it . its basically a square sheet of foam that i traced the individual tools and cut out . the foam was like 3 sandwiched layers and taking out one layer was the perfect depth for most of them . then i chose a fabric , and glued it on . then i cut over where the indents were to slide the tools in . but it really would look better with a strong wooden frame around it , just never got around to making one .
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:03:07 PM by Turtle X »

Offline Turtle X

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 09:02:09 PM
Do we know the asking price? Did I miss it somewhere?
no you didnt . i didnt post one because i really have no idea what a fair and equitable price would be . i supposed i jumped the gun a little ,should have done a little more research first, but i was in kind of a panic mode when i originally posted .

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 09:06:47 PM
Like others have said it will be a hard sell as a collection and you will not maximize what they are worth.

If we say an average of $45 per tool that's over $1000, not many are going to pay that kind of money up front for tools they can get individually. None of what you have is rare.

Selling individually is the way to go. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 09:18:47 PM
NO harm no foul.  Collection can have personal price attached.  The time it takes to get each item and then make the display.  All the hours of enjoyment tend to add in an emotional component.  You are correct that most buyers are looking to get the best deal.  You'd be surprised that on MTO we are looking to be WIN/WIN.  Which is why I suggested breaking up the display.  Your Juice models are nice.  Lost of interest from members I'm sure.  The funny thing is here on MTO we have all types.  Some enjoy the chase while many are looking for very specific tools. 

I saw your knife thread.  Maybe think about trading?  Lots of folks like to trade and I for one have made some wonderful friends thru trades.  Everyone has been super fair.   Something to think about.  Might be time to get some nice blades for MTs you aren't as interested in.  I sold off a lot of my collection.  I also traded a lot too.  Lots of great people here. 

Esse Quam Videri

Offline Turtle X

Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 09:35:30 PM
Like others have said it will be a hard sell as a collection and you will not maximize what they are worth.

If we say an average of $45 per tool that's over $1000, not many are going to pay that kind of money up front for tools they can get individually. None of what you have is rare.

i would beg to differ on the rarety of the mini and the sideclip . i may be wrong , and it wouldnt  be the first time . but i know how long it took me to find a replacement side clip when my first one wandered off . of course i didnt know about these forums at the time , so ...

Offline Turtle X

Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 09:38:00 PM
NO harm no foul.  Collection can have personal price attached.  The time it takes to get each item and then make the display.  All the hours of enjoyment tend to add in an emotional component.  You are correct that most buyers are looking to get the best deal.  You'd be surprised that on MTO we are looking to be WIN/WIN.  Which is why I suggested breaking up the display.  Your Juice models are nice.  Lost of interest from members I'm sure.  The funny thing is here on MTO we have all types.  Some enjoy the chase while many are looking for very specific tools. 

I saw your knife thread.  Maybe think about trading?  Lots of folks like to trade and I for one have made some wonderful friends thru trades.  Everyone has been super fair.   Something to think about.  Might be time to get some nice blades for MTs you aren't as interested in.  I sold off a lot of my collection.  I also traded a lot too.  Lots of great people here. 

well except for my fishign knives and 3 of my benchmade knives the rest are all buried in storage . maybe at a later time . but right now not really possible . something to think about

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 09:57:19 PM

i would beg to differ on the rarety of the mini and the sideclip . i may be wrong , and it wouldnt  be the first time . but i know how long it took me to find a replacement side clip when my first one wandered off . of course i didnt know about these forums at the time , so ...

They are  less common than PST's and Supertools but they are available on E-Bay. Pre E-Bay I'm sure they were much harder to track down.

Five or six Minis and even a harder to find BO version on there now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=leatherman+mini+tool

Same for the Sideclip

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=leatherman+side+clip&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=leatherman+side+clip&LH_TitleDesc=0

Doing a completed listing search for each model on E-Bay will give a pretty good indication of the value for what you have.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:00:39 PM by SteveC »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 09:59:59 PM
Is it just me, or is the SideClip missing the clip? :think:
And is that Wave scratched up on the handles? And is that wear on the Squirts?

See, those kinds of things, IF they are the case, will greatly affect the value, especially  as a collection.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:02:31 PM by gerleatherberman »

Offline Turtle X

Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 10:07:36 PM
 one wandered off . of course i didnt know about these forums at the time , so ...
[/quote]

They are  less common than PST's and Supertools but they are available on E-Bay. Pre E-Bay I'm sure they were much harder to track down.

Five or six Minis and even a harder to find BO version on there now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=leatherman+mini+tool

Same for the Sideclip

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=leatherman+side+clip&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=leatherman+side+clip&LH_TitleDesc=0

Doing a completed listing search for each model on E-Bay will give a pretty good indication of the value for what you have.
[/quote]

cool . thanks for the info .

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:40 PM
Are you selling them individually or only as a complete collection?

....how much for the crunch?

*crosses fingers*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 09:21:22 AM
as for price , im nto sure what a decent and fair price is , ive never tried to sell them before . i do know ( or at least i think ) that the MINI tool and the sideclip are rarer but as far as the others im not sure .
Per forum rule you are required to give a price (incl. shipping). That said, I understand your struggle, so I suggest you head over to the LM sub-forum and ask around what others think.

Personally, I seriously doubt that you can sell it here for a decent price. We are all MT enthusiasts, so we all have already many/most of what is in your collection. I would say you would be lucky to get 300$ here but I'm guessing it would more be around 200$ (incl. shipping). At that price someone would probably buy them to gift to family/relatives.
You might fetch a better price with better images. If people see the condition the tools are in, they are more willing to spend.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 12:28:28 PM
I think you will really struggle to sell it as a complete collection anywhere, even on ebay.

My reasoning is that anybody that is keen enough to spend that sort of money will almost certainly have some (if not most) of those tools already.  I don't think many people suddenly flick a switch and decide to become an MT collector without already owning some of the tools they are interested in. 

The typical process is to start out small, buy a few tools, get more interested in a particular area, buy a few more and then concentrate on the area of most interest, and finally realise you have started a collection.  In your case that was LM MTs.

I believe you will maximise your return by splitting up your collection and selling them individually.  It will be lots more work, but you will find it much easier to sell and you will get more money in the long run.  To sell the collection as one item you will find most buyers will be looking to re-sell and so won't pay you a decent price.  None of the tools you have appear to be rare and in strong enough demand for a collector to buy the whole collection just to get one tool.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:29:33 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%