Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave vs. Surge

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Wave vs. Surge
Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 01:05:36 PM
Thank you for this Antti,

I have owned a first configuration Leatherman Surge for something like a year and a half. Love it! I have worked on my Jeep and Blazer with it, and done jobs around the house. It is a great tool but weighs the pants down.

MM...the Surge may hold a place as an emergency tool in the center console or glove compartment, but by the time i am reaching for a tool box, ove got every tool on the Surge, dedicated tool in the box. Yes, even the bottlw opener.

Just received a 2nd gen Wave from Leatherman as a replacement for a PSTII that I sent in.

Antti, your review gives me good insight, as I've yet to actually carry the Wave. I have sat down and taken time to oil the Wave up a bit and begin to articulate it over and over to break it in, but not actually used it on anything.

I also agree with Syncop8 - the Surge gets extra points for that blade exchanger because I can place different types of saws in there. The wood saw can be swapped out with a Bosch metal saw.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 02:43:14 PM
A superb job of comparing the two tools.

I still believe the eye glass size bit holder on the WAVE is a waste of tool on the WAVE just because the handle is so large, too easy to damage a small screw applying more torque than required.   The WAVE does need the AWL to complete its full abiltiies, and additional storage for one other bit would be practical.

The Surge is a beast, and is not a pocket tool.  Yet, if you are wearing a sturdy belt, sheath carry is no issue.  I saw this tool carried this way by many tradesman daily when I was working my specialized construction job.   I would carry my ST300 this way in its box sheath.  But never did use my Surge.

Again a great job, and a very good series of comparison of the prime LM Multitools. :like:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:44:37 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #32 on: August 30, 2018, 04:41:41 PM
A superb job of comparing the two tools.

I still believe the eye glass size bit holder on the WAVE is a waste of tool on the WAVE just because the handle is so large, too easy to damage a small screw applying more torque than required.   The WAVE does need the AWL to complete its full abiltiies, and additional storage for one other bit would be practical.

The Surge is a beast, and is not a pocket tool.  Yet, if you are wearing a sturdy belt, sheath carry is no issue.  I saw this tool carried this way by many tradesman daily when I was working my specialized construction job.   I would carry my ST300 this way in its box sheath.  But never did use my Surge.

Again a great job, and a very good series of comparison of the prime LM Multitools. :like:
I also think that small bit drive is waste and it could be replaced other tools. I have used only once on actual reason  i had to screw small screw on my eyeglasses, usually i use micra to screw those screws

Only Tools Matters

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 04:50:06 PM
wow excellent comparison Antti!!  :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 04:51:03 AM
I’ve re read your review several times , good work . I used to have a Surge ( first gen) , and will probably reaquire another .

Best Regards ,

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69