Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you do for living?

Shuya · 58 · 3067

de Offline Shuya

What do you do for living?
on: August 30, 2018, 09:22:42 AM
Hi folks,

I am more kind of a lurker, reading a lot here, posting not much (promise to change that!).
With all those EDC, "what do you carry today", and 30day challenges ... I often ask myself what are you fellow tool-nuts doing jobwise (and what are you carrying while on duty?)
It would be great if some of you answer....

I for myself am just a poor 90% deskjockey (engineers with diplomas do not get to do a lot with their hands, sadly) working in a steel plant.
So my daily dutys are 95% food prep so a basic 2 layer SAK does the job, even though I have a Swisstool in my desk which came in handy on one or the other occasion (like setting up ventilators for the all the colleaques when it was above 35°C here....).
Still playing around with an overkill of tools from time to time...

Today a simple Wenger SI is on my side. Cut plums and apples today and will open water bottles later in a meeting,  :woohoo:

Michael

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: What do you do for living?
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:58:06 AM
Welcome Shuya  :cheers:

Resident warden on a retirement estate here. Some desk work, but regular visits to residents flats to fix equipment, put furniture together, install curtain poles etc etc so lots of chance to use my tools.

EDC SAK is usually a mod I made a while ago, plus my bladeless Gerber MP400 (another mod), Topeak mini ratchet, 4" adjustable wrench and Vic wrench. This little lot see's me through most tasks.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:13:48 AM
Design engineer (CAD monkey :D) for a fluid controls manufacturing company.

No blades allowed here, so my usual pocket carry is a Gerber Shard, Leatherman Style PS and EagleTac D25AAA.  Have got a Cybertool 34 in the bits box that's going to be made into a knifeless mod when I get round to it.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 11:40:24 AM
What I do for living? Well, breathing, mostly. A little eating/drinking. Try to remain as still as possible (following the example of the Galapagos' turtles).

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

england Offline Kev D

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 02:47:32 PM
DSEAR engineer here.  I basically stop people blowing smurf up installing electrical equipment in hazardous areas defined by BS EN 60079 regulations

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 03:14:38 PM
Maintenance engineer in a factory producing filter media for the brewing, wine, frying oil etc... Industries.
Carrying a couple of multitools a SAK and a victorinox wrench and bit kit saves me having to carry a lot of tools around with me! And most jobs can be sorted with these, until I need a hammer that is!!  :D

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:43:04 PM
Im kinda jack-of-all-trades, i mainly do restoration work but i also act as builder, driver, and many other thing, i really like my job cause i can my tools on my job and nobody cares if i use my own tools.

Only Tools Matters

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 04:19:53 PM
Multi trade , on the Electro/ Mechanical side of the house . At 67 , at times , semi retired .

Best Regards ,

Chris

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 08:56:36 PM
The last few years I've been designing tools. It ranges from design (CAD, FEA, DFM, DFA, CAM - various three letter stuff.. :) ), via various business aspects, to more hands on making and prototyping. I enjoy the combination of office based and more crafty hands on activities.

What I carry depends on the activity and (work) clothes worn. Basically office typically a small SAK, while more hands on it is often something compact with a plier, or just a Benchmade folding knife Nix was nice enough to send me. (Still testing that one - it is growing on me! :) )

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:02:18 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 09:14:53 PM
Head of Technical Editing Department

Offline Thododd

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:05 PM
Calibration and service technician for a testing machine company.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 12:30:18 AM
Quality Engineer for a Vitamin and food company. Spend most of my time in meetings and data analysis unfortunately. The Cadet and Olight is enough for me nowadays but I edc a LM MiniTool, a PM, topeak ratchet with Wera bits, Gerber Shard, Mini FAK, and a PW2.

An overkill but they come in handy once in awhile.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 12:50:34 AM
I am a mortgage professional. Most of my tool-ing doesn’t happen until I have free time. I spend as much time outside doing things like fishing or hunting or building stuff as I can. That doesn’t mean that I am not super prepared for ANYTHING that may happen in my office though ;).

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 01:18:17 AM
I'm an engineer turned IT guy, now retired.  I usually carry a Pioneer X, but in the summer with elastic waisted shorts I go minimalist with a Wenger Pocket Toolchest.
- Steve

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 01:42:32 AM
AV Service,Networking,Automation,Communications and Security.
Mainly toys for rich peoples homes but pretty much anything Low Voltage that I come across.
Also do Commercial as I am asked to.

No One really needs what I do but I have been doing it for a long time and am always busy! :whistle:

Tools are pretty much of my life. :drink:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 05:04:30 AM
A few things in the past, but now I focus on auditing companies and providing them with advice on various problems they may encounter. Interesting but I'm getting tired of the travelling!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

za Offline Skebeng

Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 06:11:45 AM
Copier Tech  :hatsoff:

I am supposed to be lugging around a bag full of tools, but usually fix a problem with a screwdriver and a leatherman.

Lugging around a full kit along with a vacuum spare parts and
laptop is no fun, especially on plants where I need to walk a distance.

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 06:36:24 AM
I'm an Assistant Branch Manager at a large midwestern bank that has locations in 7 states, been doing that almost 5 years, started as a teller and worked my way up. Its a very stressful job, and I'm getting burnt a out as of the last year, but the money is good and I get to help people (when I'm not dealing with smurfing rude people).
Last of the V8 Interceptors

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 09:38:46 AM
The million dollar/euro question I often ask myself......what do I even do for a living?  :think: ...and where does my tool obsession fit in to all this?   :dunno:

Well; my education is in business, but so far my professional life has mainly been office and IT tech jobs.....which I hated like the annoying neighbours who complains about every slight noise you make, but they have a dog that barks all day none stop! ...long hours, everything is black on white; follow procedure..no flexibility and micro-harrasment (micro-management) and all a manager is, is someone who tells you what numbers say in a system (which you might as well, and can easily look up yourself) and calls you into meetings about spending 2 min too long on the toilet over the course of a month, without having any knowledge about coaching, people management, leadership skills or keeping you motivated.....in other words; a managers job is something someone with the IQ of a 10 year old could do and requires no talent whatsoever ...only that you are someone in a higher positions personal favourite little pet.

Anyway: no more of those garbage jobs for me ever again!

So currently, I am working on getting my own businesses up and running, one is a digitalisation business, the other is a wine importing business. So far its a lot of licences, permissions and tons of other red tape that I am dealing with, but hopefully I will get there eventually.

Wish me luck (I will need it :ahhh)

EDIT:

My tool obsession mainly comes from me always having been a fond of taking things apart and putting them back together pretty much ever since I was little, lego technic was my favourite "toys" to play with (no not because I am from Denmark originally), and I enjoy fixing things and restoring things. I work on my car myself, fix things around the house myself, I fix my own computers (both hardware and software) as well as my iPhones (yes, I take them apart when something breaks and fix them myself).

I have fixed several old machines (for my digitalisation business), rebuild an engine and restored a car, rewired several things around the house, as well as plumbing and build fences and sheds. Since I was a teenager, I build my own computers, sometimes from scratch, sometimes took existing machines and upgraded them. Smartphones; I have replaced several batteries in iPhones and replaced other components like the lightning port at the bottom, screen and home button.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:50:45 AM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 12:36:29 PM
I am electronic engineer. I mostly destroy electronic components and test equipment.  :woohoo:

My edc tools are fieldmaster sak  :climber: and LM mini  :multi:

I don't really need them to do my job.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:40 PM
I am a process engineer for a machine shop. I mostly create and troubleshoot CNC programs, and design work holdings. Not exactly love the job, but the everchanging daily tasks keeps me from drowsing from boredom, so I stick around. I do not EDC.   

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 01:31:41 PM
Law clerk at one of the Netherlands' District Courts.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 02:47:14 PM
I am a marine cargo surveyor, which is a bit difficult to describe.  The short answer is that I am a "boots on the ground" person that documents the condition and inventory of various types of cargo at points of liability exchange- or in simpler terms, I look at things and see what shape they are in at certain points so we know who is to blame if something goes wrong.

I also attend when something has gone wrong to verify the cause, the associated liability and to ensure that all efforts are made to mitigate the loss, often by trying to determine any salvage value.  I also coordinate discharge and/or cleanup operations for when things get complicated.  In my time I have handled everything from Rolls Royce cars to rancid meat, aircraft parts, military equipment and supplies, traditional and alternative fuels, rail cars and track, raw materials (like steel), windmill components, drill rigs, amphibious cars, electric buses, pharmaceuticals and electrical transformers.

We also coordinated the assembly of Super Puma helicopters so they could be taken off a vessel and flown away from the shipyard, then a week later had it fly back in, get disassembled and put back on the boat.

Then there was the time Micah came to visit and I spent the whole time working 14 hour days after an accident ruptured the fuel tank of a container vessel and we had to clean up roughly 260 metric tonnes of Bunker C (basically crude oil) from the inside of a cargo hold, and off of all the cargo that had been sitting knee deep in the oil, all while making sure that not a drop of oil escaped into the harbour.

Or the time we had to coordinate the cleanup and document all the damages involved in a car carrier that hit very bad weather and heeled over 40 degrees multiple times and lost her engines and has resulted in the recall of roughly 3700 BMW cars, and an undisclosed number of others.

Or the time a reefer unit went down at sea in August on a container full of bread dough... which of course began proofing in the hot summer sun.... what a mess that was.   :ahhh

I guess you could say that I do whatever is necessary....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 03:07:29 PM
 :MTO:

:pok: AND Owner of the best darn forum thats ever existed  :pok: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 06:24:10 PM

:tu: :tu: :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 06:34:41 PM
 :iagree:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 07:48:24 PM

That's more of an expensive hobby than something one does for a living.....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 31, 2018, 07:55:38 PM

That's more of an expensive hobby than something one does for a living.....  :facepalm:

Def

Because you've never sold us out  :salute:.  You may not be earning money but you've got nothing but the highest level of admiration and respect from fellas and gals from all over the world.  Money cannot buy that my friend.   :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #28 on: August 31, 2018, 08:24:14 PM

Def

Because you've never sold us out  :salute:.  You may not be earning money but you've got nothing but the highest level of admiration and respect from fellas and gals from all over the world.  Money cannot buy that my friend.   :hatsoff:
Nope, money can’t buy friendship or respect, thats gotta be earned! :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 31, 2018, 11:40:14 PM
Are you guys kidding me?  I'd sell you all out in a minute!  Look at this group though, no one wants to buy into all of this!  :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%