Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you do for living?

Shuya · 58 · 3075

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: What do you do for living?
Reply #30 on: September 01, 2018, 03:16:04 AM
Are you guys kidding me?  I'd sell you all out in a minute!  Look at this group though, no one wants to buy into all of this!  :P

Def

:rofl:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #31 on: September 01, 2018, 03:30:43 AM
Hi Tony,

I work for the retirement arm of a worldwide life insurance and retirement company.  I manage a team of 11 business analysts and testers that support 1,300 financial advisors.  We support the client management and enrollment computer software tools used by our financial advisors.  My team works with an IT team to develop new features for these tools.  Part of my team writes requirements, the other half tests the items once the IT team programs the requirements. My job is to keep the project moving forward and the tools operable.

My parents and wife tell people I work for a big life insurance company.  It is difficult to describe my job.

I carry a Style CS, Squirt P4 and a Doohickey on a cord dangler.  I also carry an Executive Edge penknife.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:19:31 AM by Yadda »
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 03:57:03 AM
Are you guys kidding me?  I'd sell you all out in a minute!  Look at this group though, no one wants to buy into all of this!  :P

Def

True.  Very true.

But you didn't tell us what you EDC at work?         .
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 06:30:13 AM
Antiques restoration. Furniture and Lighting speSmurfpillst.
Significant skills in metal-work, electrical, technical, mechanical, retrofitting and finishing.

The restoration skills began at a young age. Started collecting a bunch of different things and couldn't afford to pay people to fix anything. You learn how to do repairs and what-not on stuff yourself when you get a quote from a professional. Lots of trial and error, combined with arrogance, books, and internet.  :ahhh

I went to school for computer systems(Cisco Network Engineering minor) and industrial electronics. This has been a thorn in my side, as I do a lot of maintenence and computer work at my place of employment. I'd rather not. :rant:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 06:36:41 AM
I am the inventory manager for a group of car dealerships. Also drive for Lyft on the side. Carry a Vic Spirit at work and also use a Knipex 125 Plier Wrench.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 06:55:41 AM

Def

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #36 on: September 01, 2018, 08:10:05 AM
I am an educator at the High School level. My EDC now centers on a Swiss+tech Utilikey that hides among my keys. I carried a knifeless Leatherman Fuse for years due to work restrictions. When I found out Leatherman retired that model, I ceased carrying it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 08:42:09 AM
I'm an Alarm Tech.
Like everyone in our company, I started out with simple maintenance jobs, but I soon speSmurfpillsed in the tracking down and fixing of errors of all kinds in these electric systems.

On top of that I'm now the "main install and service tech" which is a good thing since it means they'd miss me when I'd be gone.

So these days I install and repair: Burglary detection Systems, Fire detection systems, CCTV, Automated gate openers, Access Control Systems, in-house telephone lines and networks.

I switch over my EDC sometimes.
It's always a plier based tool (currently a Vic Spirit) combined with a bit ratchet and some bits.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 02, 2018, 05:21:21 AM
These days I am in IT computer/networking in a public school district in New England.

I am found alternately with my sleeves rolled up installing hardware in the data center, or at my desk working various network management consoles via remote.

Typically I carry a 30 year old Victorinox Super Tinker, or my Camper, or my Pioneer in my pocket, along with a Leatherman Rebar in leather sheath on my belt, and Micra on the keys. I usually have a Leatherman Surge and Vic Champion Plus in my day pack. Oh, and a Vic Huntsman and an old PSTII in my desk drawer for all those younger techs around me who don't have sense enough to carry and are always asking to use mine.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 05, 2018, 11:07:21 PM
Retired geographer. Spent 28 years working for the government.

For about half that time I carried a mid-sized SAK; Spartan, Tinker, Traveler, etc. Prior to the SAKs I generally carried a Stockman. Also kept a Chinese knock-off multitool in the desk. Cheap enough that if it developed 'legs' I wouldn't worry about it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 03:02:51 AM

Def

True.  Very true.

But you didn't tell us what you EDC at work?         .

Some days a Victorinox Compact.

Other days a much larger variety of things.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 05:22:42 AM
Also kept a Chinese knock-off multitool in the desk. Cheap enough that if it developed 'legs' I wouldn't worry about it.

Funny thing about those knock offs👍, I keep a SAK wannabe at my desk that I use to pry and cut to the point that it is funky. Great tool alternative when you want to beat the heck out of them, no time to clean, lose them w/o tears, and practice your sharpening. And that’s why I love it ❤️

None of the tools, and I mean none, work or work well. Only the blade works but that was because I sharpened it, and I swear the metal was so soft it only took me 10 swipes to put an edge on an otherwise blunt edge.

us Offline getahl

Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 07:01:04 AM
I am a Sr. Buyer at an Aerospace company making flight sticks, levers, pedals,  and switch assemblies for civilian and military planes and helicopters. And boats, apparently, if my ERP system can be believed. I mainly send bit and bobs out for special processing, and I buy electronic widgets.

I don't carry much, usually just a teensy SAK. This week, it's been a Classic and a pair of slip and snip scissors. Not much use for a blade in my line if work, but it does come handy.

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 06:55:15 PM
i'm a knifemaker,been doing that full time since Feb '02. i had a small steel fabrication business before that [mainly burglar bars and security gates,a necessity in South Africa].
i edc a handgun [alternate between a CZ75B and a Canik P120 with Inforce APL,this is almost another necessity in SA,depending on who you speak to],couple spare mags,few folders,fixed blade,21"ASP,SAK or 2,LM Surge,and some other bits and bobs.yes,all on my belt or pockets.
i like cool gear  :D

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 06:05:41 PM
Retired from LE 12 years ago, retired from private security 2 years ago. Mostly putz around the garage and yard nowadays. Make walking sticks and canes. When I was a working cop I carried a modern folder clipped to my pocket for ease of access. Now I carry a SAK and a Stockman.

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #45 on: September 08, 2018, 11:32:26 PM
Formerly a machinery designer, General Manager of a speSmurfpillsed machine shop (producing individual components up to 10 tonnes), designer of speSmurfpillsed cutting tools, plant modifications and bespoke tooling systems (for producing individual components up to 500 tonnes), technical salesman (all the above services), Chairman and Trustee of a boatyard, Vice Chair of a stage society, both performing on stage, and supervising backstage activities, and partially trained hypno-psychotherapist.

Nowadays the government pays me a pittance to stop at home, and not fall down anywhere inconvenient.

I carry whatever the hell I want. I always have done.

I have over a dozen multitools, at least 7 of which are modded, around a dozen traditional slippies, and half a dozen modern ones, around 15 Swiss knives, over a dozen fixed blades, and various smaller keyring sized tooling options. This is not counting the stuff that's currently listed in my sales thread. I keep trying to to slim down the array even further, but keep failing...

Some days it might be a Knifeless Wave or modified MP400 with a traditional slippie, other days a Swiss knife with a lighter plier based tool such as a Sideclip or Knifeless Octane. On a walk or at the UK meet, it's a modified orange Knifeless Fuse or a Juice KF4, both with colour coordinated supporting tools. If I'll be away from home for any length of time, I might take my Spirit (which I use around the house too), or my modded Gerber Diesel with a flurry of complementary tools. Some days I'll just have what's on my house keys, or maybe just a neck lanyard with Alox Rambler, tweezers, loupe, whistle, pen and light. My home toolbag contains two modified MP600s, one with blunt plier head, and one with heavy duty shear head, a Schrade LC6 multitool, and an incomplete Gerber Grappler. For formal occasions, or in summertime when pocket space is limited, I'll put together a lightweight combo that is befitting the day.

My philosophies and preferences regarding pocket tools have actually not varied much whether working in heavy engineering, or inshore marine, or stage work, or retired on health grounds (or on permanent sick, whichever you prefer). I still think locking knives are a complete waste of space (gimme a slippie or a fixed blade), and knives are better left off the multitool, leaving space for more function. Leatherman are OK for light tasks, but I want a Gerber for heavy work (mainly due to ergonomics), and if I really can't decide what I'm going to need for the day ahead, the answer is probably Victorinox.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 12:03:45 AM
Self employed Carpenter/ Painter / Handyman or whatever pays the bills  :D

My main work Multitool is the ST300 and Sanrenmu 710 for a knife but I often rotate through other Leathermans and knives when I feel like it.

us Offline matt2silver

Reply #47 on: September 15, 2018, 12:12:30 PM
I'm an elementary school art teacher. Little different than most of the other guys here, but I love my job and enjoy getting to work with my students and share my interest in making things. Plus it gives me a bit of free time in the summer for camping, fishing, and hiking which is a nice fringe benefit.

Lots of restrictions in regards to what I'm allowed to carry since I work in a public school district, (basically no sharp things allowed).  So I carry a  modified Sog Para Tool. I removed the knife, and replaced it with scissors from an old model wave. I also modified the awl by polishing the edges smooth to make it  a better suited tool for undoing knots and things of that nature. It meets most of my daily needs, I can perform  small repairs, fix stuck zippers, unclog glue bottles, undo troublesome shoelace knots, open packages, etc. Nothing earth shattering, but it definitely makes my day easier and the kids think its cool that I have such a useful tool that does so many different things.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: September 15, 2018, 07:51:17 PM
Not a darn thing...those days are gone!!!  :D :D :D :D

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #49 on: September 15, 2018, 07:59:04 PM
Self employed Carpenter/ Painter / Handyman or whatever pays the bills  :D

My main work Multitool is the ST300 and Sanrenmu 710 for a knife but I often rotate through other Leathermans and knives when I feel like it.

(Image removed from quote.)
When are you coming over? I need a porch,, I sat out on our little stoop last night and it was beautiful, but after so long my butt really started to hurt since it’s concrete, and it’s so small I can’t put a chair.. :(
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #50 on: September 16, 2018, 09:32:54 AM
Compliance officer/fraud investigator in the UK truck industry.

Blades are not permitted at work or in its environs so empty worktime pockets for me sadly.

Offline Keyboardinator

Reply #51 on: September 16, 2018, 10:12:51 PM
I am a combination editor/translator/technical writer now, and I work at home most of the time. For quite some time, however, I've been working in microbiological research labs. While a research lab is probably among the most multitool-inspiring environments, I used to carry small toolkits until 1992, when I was given a Wenger (don't remember the model, but it had a Phillips).

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 02:28:28 PM
Rad-Onc PA at UTSW Medical Center and Aeromedical PA in USAR. Always have a Leatherman Squirt on keychain. In scrubs I carry a Leatherman CS4 or Victorinox Yeoman. In BDUs I carry modded Leatherman Charge TTI and one of Rob’s Victorinox Customs.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

Offline stugumby

Reply #53 on: September 18, 2018, 12:23:15 AM
I work in the security industry at a large distillery in KY. Poor mans rent a cop type of work, meet lots of nice people and 2% human waste. Use a multi daily for some usually not my job kind of things that pop up all the time. never a dull moment dealing with contractors and insurance certificates, traffic management, all the little things that make a business keep functioning but no one ever sees or appreciates. Military prior to that, same applies.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #54 on: September 18, 2018, 01:30:54 AM
     Short answer. I am a telephone man.  I usually carry a skeletool kb, a streamlight stylus pro and either an old school leatherman or a wave plus.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #55 on: September 18, 2018, 02:49:45 AM
I could tell you.

But that would ruin the surprise. Or lead to me eatting you. Which might be the surprise in the first place.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 03:35:48 AM
Occupational Therapist for both private school and clinic; volunteer bicycle mechanic; general tinkerer, and handyman. :salute: For edc (on rotation): BO and SS NN Gerber mp600's with either LM removable bit extender or Gerber tool kits, LM wave (with bit kit, extender, and DIY saw blade exchanger; maybe adapted corkscrew!),  Rev, PST II, or a combination of any of them.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 20, 2018, 07:45:11 AM
I work for an online women's portal as a senior editor and technical coordinator and am the only dude in the team  :whistle:

Though, we might be on the verge of being shut down (the media holding we're operating in is going through a down-sizing process), so these days it's kinda hectic, full of surprises and expectancies, questions...

I used to carry a LM Wave as EDC and a small EDC bag but lately the police has become hypersensitive, that is why I do not carry a tool of that size any more. I don't want my precious gadgets be confiscated for a silly reason. So, my EDC these days is an LM Micra.

I'm looking for a Vic Handyman and/or Workchamp to be used for EDC. Workchamp kinda looks bulky (I have a Hercules which definitely is bulky and Workchamp has more layers than that?) but I wanna see and feel it in my hands first. I generally use apps called Letgo and Zebramo to buy/sell SAKs and multitools.

Last but not least, the SOG PowerAssist, my first and only SOG, has been a disappointment because of the wobbliness of the knife. I also realized that that spring mechanism does not feel that practical. So I'm dreaming for a PowerLitre :) or PowerLock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%