Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

VERY interesting SAK-a-like with good pliers and SIDE CUTTERS!

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
I bought this little knife for $3 on eBay. Yes, three bucks. It's a 91mm, and is assembled with bushings and rivets like a Victorinox. The bushings are smaller in diameter, but the scale presses on the same way as Victorinox scales. Interestingly enough, this isn't just a copy of a Vic, though. Many of the tools open completely backwards! This means the backsprings are redesigned, and not just Vic copies. The saw and pliers open from the fat side, like a Victorinox. However, the main blade also opens from the fat side. The scissors open from the thin side (they open from the fat side on a Vic) and there's a pair of side cutters that also open from the thin side. Because of clearance issues with the side cutters, the middle rivet (bushed on a Vic) does not protrude past the liner for the side cutters, and therefore does not go all the way through the knife. In the last pic you can see part of the handle for the cutters through the hole where a rivet would normally be. There are no backspring tools, and no cutouts for them, so both scales are identical.

This thing has a surprising quality feel to it. The knife is visibly dirty as hell and there is corrosion on most of the tools. However, all the backsprings snap open and closed with a resoundingly good feel. The blade has a factory edge, and though there is a little bit of corrosion on the edge itself, it can still cut through paper with relative ease. It's not quite as thick as a vic blade, and is a little more bendy, however. The pliers aren't as thick as Vic pliers, but they do have a very nice needle nose shape. They're more like tweezers, as they have no nut turning ability whatsoever. Nor are there any teeth to speak of. The scissors are surprisingly good, cutting right through paracord in one snip, just like Vic scissors. They have a very similar shape, and pivot on a screw instead of a rivet. The saw has no nail nick, and does not extend out past the end of the backspring, so the only way to get it out is with a different tool. It has an inch ruler etched on one side. It is the same shape and size, though the tooth spacing is different. Both saws have 29 teeth, but the teeth on this saw are closer together, and there is more flat space on either end of the blade. Instead of a second small blade, there's just a brass bushing taking up space -- though there is a spacer with a keychain connection where a Vic would have a spacer for the small blade.

All of that's well and good, but what's really interesting are the side cutters. They work really, really well on small wires. There's a little notch for stripping wire, and that works well. They cut small and medium zip ties too. They cut bare stranded wire easily. However, anything that wouldn't fit in the cutter portion of Wenger pliers cannot be easily cut with these. And wires that are at the maximum for the Wenger cutters are really difficult to cut with these. There's just not enough leverage available with those tiny handles. I can make it through 14ga wire with several attempts, but it's not fun, and my thumb hurts afterwards.

The springs to the pliers, scissors, and wire cutters are junk Chinese springs, but it looks like standard Victorinox scissor springs will work. The nail nicks are really low on all the blade, pliers, and wire cutters, making extracting the tools with short nails difficult. I'd want to take a file to these to trim down some material. All the tools have a bead-blasted finish, nothing is polished. I'm quite pleased with this $3 purchase, it's a fun little knife and I'm going to clean it up and maybe use it in a Victorinox mod. Those wire cutters and some of the reverse-opening backsprings may see use in a custom knife!

Charles.
IMG_4663.jpg
* IMG_4663.jpg (Filesize: 246.45 KB)
IMG_4662.jpg
* IMG_4662.jpg (Filesize: 207.77 KB)
IMG_4664.jpg
* IMG_4664.jpg (Filesize: 195.26 KB)
IMG_4665.jpg
* IMG_4665.jpg (Filesize: 170.29 KB)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: VERY interesting SAK-a-like with good pliers and SIDE CUTTERS!
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:13:46 PM
Very interesting indeed. This looks to be of really good quality compared to what most of the "Red Army Knives" are (my term for the Chinese SAK clones are). I am guessing it's aimed towards the fisherman, but I'm not sure.

Got a photo of the tang stamp?

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:32:28 PM
There is no tang stamp on any blade or tool in the knife. It’s a complete unknown!

Charles.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 05:02:30 AM
Where do you find these beauties?  :drool:
Those clone-making people sure have nice ideas. I like it a lot. :hatsoff:

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 06:58:19 AM
I do searches for multitools and knives and expressly exclude “Leatherman”, “Gerber”, “sog”, and the like. Or search for “Swiss Army knife -victorinox -wenger” or something along those lines. It changes as I weed through listings. If something is showing up frequently that I don’t care about I’ll add a term from that listing to exclude. It’s tedious.

Basically I’m looking for non-standard stuff to use for mods, because... why do standard mods?? :)

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 08:49:40 AM
Well, I decided not to use this in a mod. The side cutters work, but they’re not really useful for anything except the thinnest of wire. The kind of wire that the scissors can cut with no problems. Anything thicker and the side cutters can’t manage. So they’re not terribly useful.

Instead of taking this thing apart, I decided just to refurbish it and make it better. First I cleaned up all the corrosion. Then I took a few files, and filed down all the oddly large areas around the nail nicks. Now even with short nails I can easily open all of the tools. Then I replaced the crappy springs with victorinox springs, and finally I replaced the scales... mostly because I dropped the knife and one of the scales cracked in half. Soooo I snagged some unbranded schrade century scales, which are largely identical to victorinox scales. The rivets are smaller on this knife, so some contact cement keeps the scales on.

Shown here next to the evening’s entertainment.

Charles.   

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 11:53:47 AM
It is definitely nice.  :like:

If those side-cutters were made to Vic standards, how big a wire could they handle, in your opinion?  :think:
Certainly not coat hanger wire, but something little smaller, probably yes.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 12:32:37 PM
Alarm wires are usualy 0.22mm^2...

So cutters like these would work in my line of duty.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 04:32:46 PM
The problem with the side cutters is not a lack of quality or sharpness. There is simply not enough leverage available for them to work properly. The handle is too short and too close. The handle needs to be splayed out, and it needs to be longer. Neither of those are really options for a 91mm SAK. Bypass cutters would be the better choice here, when leverage is at a premium.

Charles.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 06:49:53 PM
There is no tang stamp on any blade or tool in the knife. It’s a complete unknown!

Charles.

What a shame!  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44