Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you read your analog watch?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
How do you read your analog watch?
on: September 01, 2018, 09:53:41 PM
When looking at the watch on your wrist, do you translate the position of the hands into numbers? Or do you just look at the hands and know the time with out translating it into digits in your head?

I have been wearing an analog watch for a while now, and for the longest time I would look at the hands and think to myself the time in "digital format". But lately I have stopped doing that and just "feel" the time, and am realizing it is much quicker. Of course if someone asks me what time it is I still have to translate it into digits to verbalize it, but if I am just checking for myself, the physical position of the hands is enough for me to know the time, even if I don't say the corresponding numbers to myself in my own head.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: How do you read your analog watch?
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 10:02:02 PM
Yes, I see the time instead of reading.
Seeing is faster then reading and does take some getting used to, like you noticed.
But it's a handy "skill" to have ;)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 10:16:22 PM
When looking at the watch on your wrist, do you translate the position of the hands into numbers? Or do you just look at the hands and know the time with out translating it into digits in your head?

I have been wearing an analog watch for a while now, and for the longest time I would look at the hands and think to myself the time in "digital format". But lately I have stopped doing that and just "feel" the time, and am realizing it is much quicker. Of course if someone asks me what time it is I still have to translate it into digits to verbalize it, but if I am just checking for myself, the physical position of the hands is enough for me to know the time, even if I don't say the corresponding numbers to myself in my own head.

I have both and wear them interchangeably. I started analog.  I still round my time when giving the time from a digital watch.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 10:40:42 PM
I don't read it, I glance and know what the time is.

I started analogue and then digital and they are completely interchangeable as far as I'm concerned
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:34:32 PM
I usually just glance at an analogue watch and know the time.  If I have to think about it then I stumble a bit and go back to my grade school clock learning. 

"Ok, the hour hand is just a little past the nine, and the little hand is near the 4 so that's 5, 10, 15 and one, two three so it's nine eighteen o'clock!"

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:26:58 PM
Not having to "read" the time, but just "seeing" is usually me reason for choosing an analog watch. I've noticed people in their forties and older take this for granted, while many younger people, never having started with analog, don't know how much more efficient analog is.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:49:09 PM
Not having to "read" the time, but just "seeing" is usually me reason for choosing an analog watch. I've noticed people in their forties and older take this for granted, while many younger people, never having started with analog, don't know how much more efficient analog is.

Very true, after years of digital watches I got myself an analog G-Shock some time ago, and it immediately felt right ... so easy and quick to read the time.  When I told the wife and kids how happy this analog watch made me, my oldest son (who also has an analog G-shock, be it a smaller one) said he never looks at the hour hands, he reads the time on one of the tiny digital screens on the dial, since he has to think too long when he tries to read the hour of the hour hands ...

When I asked him why he didn't buy a digital G-shock then, he said he just liked the look of the analog better ...

Anyway, after getting the analog G-shock I was once again hooked on analog time reading, so I got myself another analog G-Shock so I can switch watch from time to time ... (I also have a Seiko Black Monster, but this one only sees wrist-time when I have to go to something fancy well dressed ... which doesn't happen often  ::)).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 01:43:18 PM
I don't "read" the time but I know it as if I've read it. That's how natural it is to me. I have been carrying a digital watch lately but, when I look at the time, it immediately translates into a visual analog image in my head. Still trying to decide if that's good or bad...

:o :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 07:45:37 PM
I’ve pretty much been digital for the past 10yrs but I want to go back to analog, either way I just look at the time and it just sinks, but then when someone asks me I gotta look at it again and think it over, cause if the time is 5:23, I gotta round it and say oh it’s 5:25..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 07:53:53 PM
I can usually read the time on a digital watch.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Offline Valkie

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 03:18:55 AM
Being an old F#$T, I was brought up with analogue watches and clocks.

My mind just sees the hands and knows the time.

Digital watches do require some thought to process, after all whats this 2.30? my mind says about 1/3 of an hour past 2

Or Ill see 2.50 and my mind says I've still got 1/2 hour until 3.00.

Perhaps im just a little strange, but thats it.
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 07:03:49 AM
I have collected watches(early on it was more just acquisition) since I was in the third grade. Started with digital $1-store watches. Broke a bunch just taking them apart to see the guts. My grandfather, in 1998, gave my a 10yr battery Casio analog watch. And since I grew up in a house with a lot of antique clocks, I kind of knew how to read analog time pieces with minor efficiency.
Well, I never took that watch off. It stayed on 24/7, in the shower, when sleeping, at school, swimming, playing at home, cutting grass (how I made money as a kid), etc etc. I wore it for five years like that and I guess corrosion got to the stem seal and it fogged up, then stopped working. I then used some of my money to buy an Alpha automatic Speedway-clone ($79 at the time). I then started collecting watches I liked that had some inherent value as a time piece aor sentimental value.
It's been analog all the way for me since. I glance at the dial for a half second or so and my brain translates it.  :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:43:28 PM
Exactly!

I first read this and wondered what the O.P. was talking about really? :dunno:

Pretty much like driving a car with a Manual/Standard Tranny,it is just in there and I never really think about it.

Man do I feel old.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 11:14:50 PM
*gniffel*

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 02:34:16 AM
Grew up with analog, wind up style on wrist, just like my dad's! :tu:

Moved to digital in mid 80s through 1999, then bought nice Citizens Eco Drive while in the Caribbean on a cruise.

Had no trouble just seeing the time either way.  Even converting to 24 hour (military) time for my work reports since my entire career, 1973 on.

But now I have fun, a youngster ask the time, it is either 1410, or 10 after 2, or quarter after 1, or even half past the hour or 10 to.

They look at me and often ask, "what did you say?", then give same time in different format.  Usually by third request, give them the digital, or they give up after second request.

Being old isn't all bad :woohoo:

Never really thought about how my mind was interpreting that watch face till reading this thread.

Have friend, his gun forum ID is three to four, his favorite hand gun caliber.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:37:34 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%