Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How safe/dangerous is water

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
How safe/dangerous is water
on: September 04, 2018, 08:46:25 PM
Ok, too much YouTube and I get the impression water is the most vile and toxic stuff on the planet... I guess its regional, but do we really need to filter, then chemically treat and finally boil the water for a week, so its safe to drink?

Switzerland:
Public fountains often have a label "Kein Trinkwasser" (no drinking water), that basically means, "we did not bother to test", so if it is cool its safe to drink. In general you can assume that any running water that is cool, is safe to drink. In the mountains, especially above the treeline you can also safely drink from lakes. The one thing worth checking is, if there is a pasture with animals upstream.
This basically means that there is safe drinking water everywhere.
And even the water that is not recommended to drink (lakes, larger rivers basically that have warmer waters) is not dangerous. No need to worry if you take a few sips while swimming.

How is it in your parts of the world?

P.S.: do you know how to make holy water?
Show content
Boil the hell out of it! :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: How safe/dangerous is water
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 08:53:35 PM
I wouldn't risk drinking from our streams or canals.

In the Alps however, I refill my canteen every chance I get.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:58:37 PM
Our tapwater is cleaner than the bottled water sold in stores...  :pok:

Springwater, clean as they come, and we do have plenty of springs

Lakes, streams... probably won't kill you

There have been few cases of amoeba...  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:00:15 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:24:02 PM
Tap water here in the UK is probably safer than bottled water, the big exception was tragedy in the 90's in a town in Cumbria called Camelford where the water company dumped/miss applied 20 tons of aluminium sulphate into the drinking water. This led to permanent brain damage in quite a few people..

Streams and rivers around here? not a chance without purifying.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:32:33 PM
Tap water here in the UK is probably safer than bottled water, the big exception was tragedy in the 90's in a town in Cumbria called Camelford where the water company dumped/miss applied 20 tons of aluminium sulphate into the drinking water. This led to permanent brain damage in quite a few people..

Streams and rivers around here? not a chance without purifying.
Just looked up that incident.
Wow, what a tragic mess, they were still investigating it a few years ago.
So much attempted cover-up.  :cry:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline RF52

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 09:35:47 PM
Pretty much the same here, cool, clear and running usually is safe

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:47:06 PM
People used to drink from rivers with dead animals upstream and were fine. Now we have water on tap, tested and purified and we worry about it, buying bottled water because we think it is better.
Too much money around the western world.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 12:38:13 PM
This summer, which was exceptionally dry and hot, we had lots of Cyanobacteria and some Botulism. Definitely not safe. During the winter most surface waters are fine, no chemicals or bacteria but boiling is recommended.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 01:10:24 PM
Varies with location but tap water is usually safe to drink, and around here better than bottled water. (Actually some of the bottled water is just tapped water from slightly worse locations than here).

Generally one can assume water from lakes, stream and springs to be safe.

People used to drink from rivers with dead animals upstream and were fine. Now we have water on tap, tested and purified and we worry about it, buying bottled water because we think it is better.
Too much money around the western world.

People wasn't really fine before. Bacteria in water was a major cause of serious diseases, included deadly ones. Having disease free water is one the major public health improvements in the parts of the world that has it. I do agree that many seem to spend money needlessly on bottled water when tap water is fine. I assume some of that is due to not knowing the local tap water, but many just seems to buy for buyings sake.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:21:22 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 01:22:28 PM
There are some minor risks with drinking untreated water in the UK: giardia, cryptosporidium and leptospirosis to name a few.  I've done it and not been affected, but I'll always try to take it from clear, running sources above human habitation and any livestock.  If in doubt, boil it first (or use a filter, but I don't own one).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 02:47:17 PM
Thanks guys...
Its what I thought. If you know what to look for, you will find clean water in many places especially if you have mountains. Of course in places like the Everglades its a good idea to bring a filter or something. I'm also not surprised that the water in the Netherlands is not too safe.

How is it with fountains? Would you recommend to drink from fountains in your part of the world?
Here I would say 99% is safe and the other 1% is easily spotted (dirty fountain / warm water).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 03:29:01 PM
Here, in my part of the UK I'd rather collect water from a puddle than from flowing water sources. There's likely too many pollutants (metals and chemicals) that wouldn't be removed by filtration and boiling. Not only is this a fairly densely populated area, but the site of a lot of industrial activity over many many years, and the rivers and the canals were often a dumping ground for unwanted materials. Even in the outer areas, where the water sources are still minor tributaries, the ground may still hold such pollutants, and the springs and streams may be infusions of stuff I'd rather not put in my body. A puddle is distilled water that hasn't yet had chance to filter through centuries old waste, and is my best chance of getting something easily made potable. I'd trust the water sources more at a greater radius from my current location, but I seldom have cause to go that far.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 01:44:04 PM
In my part of the country geography is similar to that of Switzerland so many of small creeks are OK. Tap water is also fine for drinking.  :woohoo:

:D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:45:41 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 08:15:57 AM
My cabin is quite high (6230 feet) and dry so my water is hauled from a co-op well that is 800-900 feet deep.  Lots of limestone that the water has filtered thru over the centuries so heavily mineralized (calcium).  Tested routinely and ok to drink, but I ended up with a kidney stone from the mineralization and since I would prefer not to repeat that experience I buy bottled water to drink.  The water is quite satifactory for everything else.

I suppose I could set up a distillery to remove the calcium, but if I’m going to go to all that trouble, why waste it on water....... :rofl: :rofl:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 11:46:20 PM
According to my government "water consistently meets national water quality targets."

I have no idea what that means, but I assume they want me healthy and paying taxes, and not ill and burdening our medical system.

I'm generally in one of two situations - in arid areas where there is bugger all fresh/running water, or somewhat more moist areas where there is plenty of water, but I have been cautioned against drinking it.

I don't necessarily "buy bottled water", but I sure as a sure thing have bottles of water with me.
Whether that comes out of a tap, a river, or a rainwater tank doesn't really bother me.

But, I understand I might be lucky, because I have a country where things like water quality (and healthcare) are the governments job, and failing to deliver gets you in the naughty corner.

That said, we are still occasionally at the mercy of the environment.... http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1092936.htm

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%