Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mini Vise-Grip comparison (IRWIN vs Tactix)

MMR · 13 · 3436

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Mini Vise-Grip comparison (IRWIN vs Tactix)
on: September 05, 2018, 11:45:18 AM
Background: I have been carrying a “fake” mini vise-grip from Tactix tools for about a year now. It has served me quite well in that time, but while I was in town yesterday and had an hour to spare between meetings, I stopped by a tool store and for some reason decided to buy a genuine Irwin vise-grip similar to the one I have from Tactix.

The ones in question here are 5” vise-grips, I do have the full sized vise-grips too, but I always have a pair of mini vise-grips with me, simply because I find them super handy, and they can be a life saver for most rusty nails and screws, or any annoying bolts one comes across. Plus if one need to lock two things together or simply need a weight added to something to keep it hanging straight, a mini vise-grip can be a life saver.

The one from Tactix cost around €8 in Woodies, and the one from Irwin cost €18 at a local tool store here in Cork, Ireland. So in other words; the Irwin one was pretty much twice as expensive.

As far as I can google myself to, both are manufactured in China, even though Irwin is an American company, and Tactix is a Chinese company.

Anyway; comparing the two here:

The one from Tactix is made of Cr-V (aka tool steel), which as far as I can google; is a common steel used for tools, it’s durable and fairly resistant to rust. The Irwin one is made of a type of steel as well which I can’t really find much info on, other than it’s a heat treated steel allow, which is credited as "extremely durable and tough", other sources from google suggest "Nickel Chromium Steel", which brings me th the next point...

Holding them in each hand, I notice the Irwin having a tiny bit more weight to it. Not sure if that means anything. But maybe someone who knows more about metals can add something to this?

As far as the finish goes, the Irwin one appears to be nickel plated (looks like nickel plating at least, or the previously suggested "Nickel Chromium Steel"), and the one from Tactix has a more raw metal looking finish to it, it may have a very light coating of something, but it’s very thin if that’s the case.

Moving on...

Opening wise: as you can see above; with the adjustment screw in the same location; the one from Irwin is able to open much wider than the one from Tactix...which is interesting, because the adjustment screw appears to be the same length?

While we are on the “Adjustment screw”, the one from Irwin has a 3mm hex key insert, the one from Tactix doesn’t, it just has this kind of crude looking flat back.

Next up is the spring; the one from Irwin appears to be a better made than the one from Tactix, both in terms of finish and precision, also the spring from Irwin has a lot more power to it.

And overall, will say those same principles applies several other places too.

The jaws for instance; the Tactix one has a lot of play in it, the jaws can move pretty much half a with from side to side. This is not the case with the Irwin one at all, as a matter of fact, there’s hardly any play in the jaws at all on the Irwin ones.

This isn’t necessarily a problem, unless you are griping on to something from the front and twisting it, but not exactly precision quality either.

Also, the texturing inside of the jaws is a lot more better and less crudely made on the Irwin, but in the Tactix’s defense, it has a year of usage on it in this picture, but you still get the idea.

Another observation, which isn’t necessarily important, but just my OCD that kicked in. Is the little tab holding one end of the spring inside, is a little off centered on the Tactix one, where as it is dead centered on the one from Irwin.

So overall, the one from Tactix has been with me and well used for the last year, and it has not let me down once, so I can not by any means say that it is a bad tool, but I will say that the Irwin’s built quality is far superior, but how it makes a difference in the long term only time will tell.

Is it worth paying almost double for the Irwin vise-grips?

If you plan on using them a lot, either as a professional or hobbyists, I can imagine the Irwin one will hold up better over time, it does feel a lot better made. But if you are only using your vise-grips on occasion, say a single digit number of times a year or less for that matter, I don’t see a reason to pay extra, the Tactix one will get the job done just as well.

Anyway; thanks for reading.

EDIT:
Regarding "Nickel Chromium Steel", there's a good article here describing it and what it entitles for those who want to get nearly about different steels: http://www.nickel-alloys.net/nickelalloys.html#_Nickel_Chromium_Base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT 2:

I just want to add; that this is by no means a bashing of Tactix as a brand. I have several and well used  tools and tool boxes from Tactix that I am more than pleased with, and Tactix is a great cost alternative to brands like Stanley.

In all honesty; out of all my pliers (Stanley, Irwin, Draper, Klein, Knipex), Tactix actually has the best and most comfortable grips.

(Random selection of my pliers pictured)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:22:56 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Mini Vise-Grip comparison (IRWIN vs Tactix)
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:20:24 PM
The Irwin one is made of 5WR which another type of steel that I can’t really find much info on, other than it’s a heat treated steel allow, which is extremely durable and tough.

Thanks for a detailed review  :hatsoff:

Just FYI "5WR" is the model of the tool, not the steel it is made of. 

Irwin/Vise-Grip also made some multi tools with locking pliers in conjunction with Schrade (3 different versions that I know of:  5WR, ST6 & 6LC).
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST6+Tough+Grip
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 12:22:58 PM
Great pics and write-up :cheers: I think 5WR is just the model number on the Irwin though  :think: I have a few different sizes of these and they are all great to use :like:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 12:38:50 PM
The Irwin one is made of 5WR which another type of steel that I can’t really find much info on, other than it’s a heat treated steel allow, which is extremely durable and tough.

Thanks for a detailed review  :hatsoff:

Just FYI "5WR" is the model of the tool, not the steel it is made of. 

Irwin/Vise-Grip also made some multi tools with locking pliers in conjunction with Schrade (3 different versions that I know of:  5WR, ST6 & 6LC).
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST6+Tough+Grip

Thank you for that info, and my bad, I will correct that straight away
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 01:25:08 PM
good comparison, thanks!  :tu:

To be honest I'm not that much of a Vise Grip user either so 90% of my VIse Grip needs (at home and outside) are done with my Schrade multi tool VIse Grips or the Kershaw A100  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 01:49:50 PM
Nice comparison/review        :like: :tu:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 02:26:52 PM
As added to the OP:

Just to be clear, this is not to bash on Tactix as a brand. Tactix is actually a great brand, and a great cost alternative to other name brands
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 03:04:14 AM
The Petersen manufactured Vise-Grips are even better. If you find used Petersen Vise-Grips buy them.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:02:54 PM
The Petersen manufactured Vise-Grips are even better. If you find used Petersen Vise-Grips buy them.

Only problem is that the 4 and 5 inch models are pretty pricey compared to the common 6-8 inch models.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 11:26:26 PM

Only problem is that the 4 and 5 inch models are pretty pricey compared to the common 6-8 inch models.

Understood, but that is where pawnshops, flea markets and garage sales help.  People often sell the older ones cheap not realizing that the American made items with a little rust are so much better than the shiny new Chinese made version.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 09:02:36 PM
Nice review MMR! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 09:22:31 PM

He's right.  These pre-date Irwin's acquisition [2008] of the company.  Irwin's are wholly made in China.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:25:55 PM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 11:22:55 PM
I've got several pairs of Vice Grip brand pliers, but rarely ever have used them. Usually only used them to hold something in place. That said, I have probably 30-40 pairs of Harbor Freight locking pliers. I use them for holding things together for welding. Every size from 4"  to 12" plus a lot of the big C jaws type. They get a lot of damage from  welding, when they get too bad I pitch them and buy more. 1/4th the price of Vice Grip brand.  :tu:  :whistle:
just a tired old Multi-fool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD