Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber multi tools compared to other makes

Offline mtoolman

Gerber multi tools compared to other makes
on: September 07, 2018, 11:29:30 AM
I am a newbie in multitools, and adter reading about diffrent mt makes such as Leatherman, Vict, Gerber, and went for the Leatherman surge.

But I see posts about the Gerber, and passonate fans and users and collectors of Gerber.
I have never owned or used Gerber tools, and they look cheaply made than LM or Vict.

But maybe they are as strong, reliable and good working tools as others? I am not sure.

What are the some strong points and attractions of Gerber tools? Could gerber be compared to LM or Vict?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:35:32 AM by mtoolman »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Gerber multi tools compared to other makes
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:03:03 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: !

The first multi I had was a Vic Spirit - pretty much perfect in every way  :D Only problem was here in the UK locking blades are illegal to carry.

Kev Davey senmt me a Gerber MP400 and Toolslinger sent me a '600. The tolerances are looser for the Gerbers over the Vic and LM, but this can be an advantage - They rattle and move but don't get clogged up. They are very tough and well made and the one hand opening with a flick of the wrist is both satisfying and handy.

The best thing about the Gerber though IMO is that they are easily modded. I have 3 MP400's now and all of them are bladeless -I can take them anywhere  :ahhh

Also, the philips driver can accept a bit adaptor and increase your options for driver capability.

I still have my Spirit (in fact I've just used it to cut some wire coathangers down) but the Gerber, particularly the '400 is my fave. It's the AK47 of the multitool world.

Hope this helps!  :cheers:

Pics:
20171012_131726.jpg
* 20171012_131726.jpg (Filesize: 278.6 KB)
20180130_115727.jpg
* 20180130_115727.jpg (Filesize: 194.71 KB)
20180906_151425.jpg
* 20180906_151425.jpg (Filesize: 139 KB)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:04:11 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline mtoolman

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:24:45 PM
Great info. Thanks.

Yes, I am also getting interested in the Gerbers.

I also have SWISSTOOL X, which I love, but the plier opening is not large. I Was trying to work on the seized handle of my magnifying glass with leaked batteries in it, and the SWISSTOOL X was not able to grab it due to too small opening on the pliers.

I had to go downstairs and get the Leatherman Surge, and it grabbed OK, and turned the handle to open seized part.

I feel maybe the Gerber MP600 would have done better.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 01:53:36 PM
Here's the Spirit against the '400 and BN '600:
20180907_124950.jpg
* 20180907_124950.jpg (Filesize: 266.94 KB)
20180907_125022.jpg
* 20180907_125022.jpg (Filesize: 277.01 KB)

Offline mtoolman

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:01:47 PM
My SWISSTOOL X was useless for this morning's job due to not large enough openings on the pliers.

It made me to go downstairs and search for the Leatherman, which was a pain.

I think I will order a couple of Gerber MP models, whatever is the best price, because they all seem capable and strong and lower priced than other makes.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:04:09 PM
The 600 seems a lot larger plier opening than the 400 ?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 02:06:07 PM
The only thing to watch out for is the replaceable cutters on the MP600 - they are terrible and will shatter very easily. If you have the option of going for an older, used '600 without the cutters I'd do that.

Might be worth putting a wanted ad on this forum  - it's where I got all of mine.  :salute:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 02:08:24 PM
The '600 is quite a lot bigger than the '400:
20180907_130653.jpg
* 20180907_130653.jpg (Filesize: 275.77 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:10:41 PM
I am a newbie in multitools, and adter reading about diffrent mt makes such as Leatherman, Vict, Gerber, and went for the Leatherman surge.

But I see posts about the Gerber, and passonate fans and users and collectors of Gerber.
I have never owned or used Gerber tools, and they look cheaply made than LM or Vict.

But maybe they are as strong, reliable and good working tools as others? I am not sure.

What are the some strong points and attractions of Gerber tools? Could gerber be compared to LM or Vict?

Thanks

Here are some of the strengths that I find in Gerbers:

Flicky pliers.
I don't tend to flick them, rather depress the buttons on the head, and let the handles fall down into position. They are however still quicker access pliers than most other tools.

Easy to mod.
My MP400, Diesel, and two MP600s all have modified toolsets.

Unimpeded main gripping area.
Leatherman tools tens to have an interrupted radius in the main gripping area. It's worse (IMHO) on the indexable cutter versions, but even those with integral cutters suffer from it too.

Better ergonomics.
With less handle splay, and less handle hotspots, I find Gerber to be more comfortable than LM tools in use, particularly over extended periods.

Bit driver compatibility.
The bit drivers that fit over the Phillips work well, and take full sized 1/4" bits. No having to buy full sets of bespoke bits if you knacker one.

Value for money:
Tending to be slighly cheaper, but still getting the job done.

I do still own and use other brands, including Victorinox and Leatherma - but the above reasons should highlight why Gerbers have remained part of my line up, and get regular use.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline mtoolman

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 02:11:24 PM
The only thing to watch out for is the replaceable cutters on the MP600 - they are terrible and will shatter very easily. If you have the option of going for an older, used '600 without the cutters I'd do that.

Might be worth putting a wanted ad on this forum  - it's where I got all of mine.  :salute:

Yes, I saw them breaking on youtube. That was my main reason going for the Leatherman.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 03:14:51 PM

Yes, I saw them breaking on youtube. That was my main reason going for the Leatherman.

On the other hand, I find that their carbide cutter works very well for soft copper wire. They are my go to for smaller gauge when I need to do wiring. I very seldom cut hard wires...

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 03:16:08 PM
Sam! Show mtoolman some of your excellent Gerber mods!  :cheers:

Offline mtoolman

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 03:51:30 PM
Yup I have ordered an MP600 bladeless and a Pro Scout with driver bits.
My wife will be very angry with me now.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 03:53:06 PM
 :cheers: You won't regret it! Well, you might if your wife finds out!

There's a support group for that though.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 03:53:34 PM
The 400 looks nice but not much bigger opening than the Swisstool,X plier.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 05:00:38 PM

Magentus! I didnt work much on Gerbers! But they are very mod friendly and I love to use suspension tools on them. I kinda of did "something" today... Will be putting it up in the Mod squad soon.  :whistle:

Offline mtoolman

Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 05:23:39 PM
Yup, the MP600s seem good size pliers.

I was also able to get hold of the Gerber Diesel in BO.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 05:37:11 PM

I think the Diesel is an excellent tool. Some folks are unforgiving of the slim Phillips, but I think the tool is a winner. It's also the only sliding head Gerber with woodsaw

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 05:39:20 PM

Magentus! I didnt work much on Gerbers! But they are very mod friendly and I love to use suspension tools on them. I kinda of did "something" today... Will be putting it up in the Mod squad soon.  :whistle:
But the mods you did were brilliant!

Looking forward to seeing what you've done now.  :like:

Offline mtoolman

Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 06:03:08 PM

I think the Diesel is an excellent tool. Some folks are unforgiving of the slim Phillips, but I think the tool is a winner. It's also the only sliding head Gerber with woodsaw

Yeah I think Nutnfancy was very critical to the Gerber Diesel in his video review.
I thought the Diesel looks cool and seems a good tool.

I will see how it will perform when it arrives.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 06:27:17 PM
I feel that Nutnfancy's table top reviews are often full of prejudice and bias based on his feeling and imagination.

I prefer tool reviews done out in the field by real users and bushcrafters  and workers.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 07:55:30 PM

This is a negative review of the Diesel.
Could it been lemon Diesel?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 02:19:13 AM

Flicky pliers.
I don't tend to flick them, rather depress the buttons on the head, and let the handles fall down into position. They are however still quicker access pliers than most other tools.

Easy to mod.

Leatherman tools tens to have an interrupted radius in the main gripping area. It's worse (IMHO) on the indexable cutter versions, but even those with integral cutters suffer from it too.

Better ergonomics.
With less handle splay, and less handle hotspots, I find Gerber to be more comfortable than LM tools in use, particularly over extended periods.

The bit drivers that fit over the Phillips work well, and take full sized 1/4" bits. No having to buy full sets of bespoke bits if you knacker one.

Value for money:

I do still own and use other brands, including Victorinox and Leatherma - but the above reasons should highlight why Gerbers have remained part of my line up, and get regular use.
:iagree: One of the best sets of outlined reasons I have read for Gerber tools.

My first MT was a Multi-Plier (the pinchy one), and it served me well for over ten years. Only after it started having issues, I decided to find "something better". Now, with about 225 MTs and counting, I don't really think I found anything "better". Of course, saying that, I don't mean it literally. More so in the way I feel about it. No brand MT or model of MT has satisfied my usage requirements like the Pinchy did. I guess I am just smurf-spoiled rotten now. Too much of a good things isn't necessarily good.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant, mtoolman!
I hope you enjoy your Gerbers as much as I enjoy mine (ones I use and the copious shelf queens). :cheers:

Edit: typo.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:22:59 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 02:34:56 AM

The Diesel has good geometry for effortless cutting on copper wire, but that more acute blade would make it weaker for harder metal cutting such as coathangers. It's not that the tool was a lemon, but it wasn't really set up for that task. As you see from the vid, it does do the task, but that "sharper" cutting geometry makes it a little more prone to bruising. Filing an inner section of the cutters to make a less acute harder wire cutting section would minimise this - or simply just repeating that task, and filing off the bruising on the inside, would produce a harder wire cutting area.

So it's not that the tool is a lemon, it's that the reviewer doesn't seem to recognise what effects different cutting geometries have. Just my opinion.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 02:37:14 AM

Thank you, GLBM  :salute:

Offline mtoolman

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 02:44:04 AM

The Diesel has good geometry for effortless cutting on copper wire, but that more acute blade would make it weaker for harder metal cutting such as coathangers. It's not that the tool was a lemon, but it wasn't really set up for that task. As you see from the vid, it does do the task, but that "sharper" cutting geometry makes it a little more prone to bruising. Filing an inner section of the cutters to make a less acute harder wire cutting section would minimise this - or simply just repeating that task, and filing off the bruising on the inside, would produce a harder wire cutting area.

So it's not that the tool is a lemon, it's that the reviewer doesn't seem to recognise what effects different cutting geometries have. Just my opinion.

Excellent points !!!
Yes, I think you are right. And I do see your points.  :like: :iagree:

I have seen now many Youtube videos on the reviews for Gerber Diesels.
Most of them are very positive.

I look forward to using the Gerbers when they arrive.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 02:49:05 AM

Flicky pliers.

Easy to mod.

Better ergonomics.

Value for money:

My first MT was a Multi-Plier (the pinchy one), and it served me well for over ten years. Only after it started having issues, I decided to find "something better". Now, with about 225 MTs and counting, I don't really think I found anything "better". Of course, saying that, I don't mean it literally. More so in the way I feel about it. No brand MT or model of MT has satisfied my usage requirements like the Pinchy did. I guess I am just smurf-spoiled rotten now. Too much of a good things isn't necessarily good.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant, mtoolman!
I hope you enjoy your Gerbers as much as I enjoy mine (ones I use and the copious shelf queens). :cheers:

Edit: typo.

I liked your stories about the MPs. No problems at all.  :like: :like: :like:

Thank you for your best wishes :)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 03:05:53 AM
Quote from: 50ft-trad

Thank you, GLBM  :salute:
You're welcome, 50ft! :cheers:

I liked your stories about the MPs. No problems at all.  :like: :like: :like:

Thank you for your best wishes :)
Thank you and you're welcome, mtoolman! :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 03:40:29 PM

This vid seems confirming your points regarding wire cutters.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%