Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small collection of garage-related advertising knives

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Small collection of garage-related advertising knives
on: September 08, 2018, 08:41:40 PM
I want to show off my small collection of SAK and SAK-a-like knives that are branded with automotive and tool companies. Basically stuff you'd find in a garage or auto center... It's stuff that's relevant to my history and interests. I restore old vintage motorcycles and my uncle drag raced an AMC Gremlin throughout the 70s and 80s. It's kinda in my blood, and I love pocket knives, and most of these were cheap, so hey here goes!

The box is from a Sheffield multi tool collector's set. I just tossed the original tool placeholders and added my own foam (strangely, from another vintage el-cheapo multi tool new in the box). I have another identical box, and will be making a second collection as I find knives that are interesting to me.

So, what I've got here:

The Chevron is a Victorinox alox with aluminum scales, blade file and scissors
Pennzoil has "Alexander" and "Stainless China" on the blades. Also blade, file, and (chitty) scissors
Bench Top was a K-Mart brand of tools. They were actually really decent, Craftsman quality tools. I got a big benchtop set for Christmas in college, as i was working on motorcycles and I really needed my own tools. This little knife is another china SAK-a-like, but it brings back good memories. I still have those tools, with the exception of a few missing sockets. I still use them weekly.
The Shell Rotella T knife is the Alox style knife, but it is slightly larger, and made in China. The quality, however, is very good, and the scissors are springless, and of the design which leads me to believe this was made by Coast.  It's got more attention to detail, like beveling the end of the nail file so it can be used as a nail pick, and a blade that's actually sharp. That said, while the scissors are a coast design, the nail file isn't, so who knows. I like Rotella T, and use it in my motorcycles as it is kind on wet clutches. (Most automotive oils are not)
The NAPA Gold Filters knife is a Schrade Century CN41 Pulsar. (Vic Spartan without the awl)
AC-Delco is a cheap china knife
The Pirelli is slick. It's a 1-layer, with blade and nail file. The blade is marked "INTER INOXID".  I don't know where it's made, but it doesn't look or feel like a Chinese knife. The sales are stainless, not aluminum. You can't really see, but the pattern on the knife is a tire tread pattern.

Valvoline is a Wenger with nice scissors, blade, and file
Amoco is another Chinese knife
Both Texaco and Snap-On are Schrade DL-2s, with beautiful transparent scales that really make the logos and the color look deep and rich, like it's under 20 layers of automotive clear-coat. Very beautiful little knives, with awesome springless scissors, which dare I say, cut better than either the Wenger or Victorinox scissors. (They're smaller than both, however).
Truckstops of America... I remember seeing these (vaguely) when I was a child, and we were driving to Niagara Falls. It's a Vic Tinker, and a nice little piece of vague childhood memory.
Michelin is a Victorinox Classic with the screwdriver on the end of the file... but it is also missing the attachment point for a keychain loop.
Finally the Bridgestone is a chinese knife, and also says "Firestone" on the opposide scale.

Of these, the DL-2s are my favorites. I also very much like the Chevron and Rotella knives. The Rotella a little more than the Chevron, just because it's bigger, with thicker scales and all those cool "speed holes" that feel pretty neat to touch. It's the only Chinese knife in here I actually would like to use, as it feels really cool in my hands.

Charles.
IMG_4771.jpg
* IMG_4771.jpg (Filesize: 328.14 KB)
IMG_4772.jpg
* IMG_4772.jpg (Filesize: 270.05 KB)

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Re: Small collection of garage-related advertising knives
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:08:39 PM
Nice collection...

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Small collection of garage-related advertising knives
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 06:18:16 PM
Sorry I missed this thread, Charles. :ahhh

Those are really cool and the display box is awesome. :like:

It is amazing just how many hundreds of thousands of unique knife model-versions have been produced throughout the decades. Each advertisement makes a new branch on the model tree. :)

Thank you for sharing. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%