Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP600 vs Leatherman grip strength

Offline mtoolman

Gerber MP600 vs Leatherman grip strength
on: September 08, 2018, 09:08:45 PM
Interesting video on youtube about the MP600 vs. LM Surge

I had the similar problem, hence got into the Gerbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KuUkJ9vAHg&t=900s

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Gerber MP600 vs Leatherman grip strength
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:39:56 PM
I've argued that for years. Leatherman sucks in terms of ergonomics.

In fact I did a whole thread on that very issue,comparing a wide range of different pliers from different manufacturers. Unfortunately photobucket killed the thread. I took photos of pretty much every pliers multitool I had, all gripping on the same diameter item. The best of the bunch was actually the Gerber Diesel. In fact I can do heavier work with apair of MP400 pliers than I can a ST300 the or this reason. My grip is not enough to break either tool, but I can exert far more grip with the Gerber

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:20:32 PM
Aside from the fact that I wouldn't use a multi (or pliers, really) on plumbing fittings, unless for some reason I was left with absolutely no choice - I suppose my question is - how does the Gerber compare to a set of Knipex (or your brand of choice) dedicated professional pliers?

seems useful to have some kind of datum, rather than just comparing two compromise options against an arbitrary (and I believe ill advised) task.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:31:23 AM
Aside from the fact that I wouldn't use a multi (or pliers, really) on plumbing fittings, unless for some reason I was left with absolutely no choice - I suppose my question is - how does the Gerber compare to a set of Knipex (or your brand of choice) dedicated professional pliers?

seems useful to have some kind of datum, rather than just comparing two compromise options against an arbitrary (and I believe ill advised) task.

Well against dedicated tools, multitools will almost always come up short - but when people compare different multitool screwdrivers to each other, they don't have to compare them against Wera. Or multitool saws against Bahco....  :pok:

If a job crops up and a multitool is all you have, you use it. Much of my plier usage was always with the main gripping area - at least as much as with the tips, and certainly more than the cutters. i've run into this problem on many occasion (though not necessarily with nuts), and that's why i've just sold my ST300, and never bought a Surge, OHT, MUT and so on. For a while, I had a Core at the boat, but it failed me ergonomically too many times. Not to mention the interrupted radius in that area. It was just too unwieldy to get the job done, and other tools worked better.

Could I have used dedicated tools instead? Eventually, yes, but there wasn't room in my engine bay for me and a full toolbox, so it was far quicker with a multitool than having to climb out every time I needed a new tool - so long as it did the job - and the Core struggled. In an engineering environment, I could walk 200m to go and fetch a dedicated tool... or I could reach in my pocket.

The gripping area is there to be used, and it works better on Gerbers than on Leatherman in my experience. Leathermans either slip because the cutters stop you gripping properly, or you can't get a decent purchase because the handles are too splayed - Gerbers don't tend to have that problem. Simple as that.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:44:41 AM
I used to have a Leatherman Rebar. I gave it to my sister after a while and got myself a Bluntnose 600 and a Center Drive. I don't miss the Leatherman at all. These Gerbers are excellent tools and seem to last forever.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 09:11:31 PM
Great video, pretty much what I always expected.
Yeah, LM are made to exacting tolerances, but their pliers really suck, as do the Vic MT's too. It's a shame really, because aside the crap plier head LM are great, easy access to tools, much much easier than Gerber MP series both 400 and 600, that's the real reason why I dont carry either Gerber. The Center Drive may change that...and if they bring out a blunt nosed version, will definately change that.
But, if lazy leatherman could just for once get over themselves and give us the paying customer a choice between needlnose and blunt nosed plier heads I honestly think they would be untouchable. But, like Victorinox, leatherman are hell bent on drip feeding cost cutting gadgetry crap for the desk jockeys and mall ninjas of this world. and thats the reason why I don't carry leathermans either.

The tragedy is, I would pay a lot of money for a well specified multitool, that I knew could deliver if needed. As of yet, there isn't a single MT out there worthy of carry as far as I'm concerned
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:28:57 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Offline mtoolman

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 12:12:07 AM
Solution is, like  the video presenter, perhaps carry two MTs?
One for the plier like Gerber MP600s, and one for other tools accessible from outside such as LM Surge or Victorinox?

I found that many times I needed two pliers for doing jobs such as when I was tightening nuts on the bolt, I had to grab the bolt head with one plier, and then turn the nut on the bolt with another plier to tighten it hard. Couldn't have done it with just one plier.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%