Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SAK

tjb · 9 · 911

Offline tjb

New SAK
on: September 08, 2018, 11:50:05 PM
Hey all. Lurker here.

My brother sent me this as a birthday gift - my first SAK in many many years. It’s the same classic we both had when we were little (except ours were red). Brings back memories.

Seems I remember a SAK with a different scissor mechanism - more robust, not just a flimsy piece of metal to snap with use. Any thoughts?

Anyway, thought I’d share my newest SAK with you folks. My normal EDC knives are full pocket knives - flippers (a Bestech, a Zero Tolerance, or a Ferrum Forge).

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: New SAK
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:12:42 AM
Wengers are slightly larger, and have a "spring" that instead works on backspring tension, meaning there is no tiny spring to break. I have never really had an SAK scissor spring break on me, other than some older, secondhand knives that had seen a lot of abuse. For me, it's only bad with the pliers on 91mm knives, I guess because they get twisted a lot.

The Classic is an excellent pocketknife, in that it is inexpensive and gets the job done. A blade, Phililps-size screwdriver, and scissors can do 3/4 of what I need. It's small size means it's legal by just about every country's policies.  I usually get a few in secondhand lots, and stockpile them in case I give some away or lose them. As a teen, I never really cared for the Classic, and gave the only one I had (bought at Lowe's when most stores carried SAKs here locally) to my great-uncle.   When I started buying used knives online at about age 16, Classics often came in lots, and I gained a newfound appreciation for it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:21:37 AM by cody6268 »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:30:49 AM
My guess is that the OP had, indeed, a Wenger Esquire back in the days.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:58:57 AM
Seems I remember a SAK with a different scissor mechanism - more robust, not just a flimsy piece of metal to snap with use. Any thoughts?
Did it look like the one on this Wenger?
PTC - 1.jpg
* PTC - 1.jpg (Filesize: 144.36 KB)
- Steve

Offline tjb

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 01:31:00 AM
The scissors was that style yes. Rest of the knife was different. But my first SAK was indeed the classic. Glad to hear they don’t seem to break.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:45:57 AM
Welcome, tjb!

You've got a very compact and very capable toolset.  :tu:  Congratulations!

I have a few Classics scattered about. Super handy on a keyring. I like to buy used ones to give away. The scissors are fantastic. As already mentioned, the screwdriver also fits common #2 Phillips screws - but do take care with the torque, of course.  :)

I broke a spring on a 91mm scissor from being careless in closing it. Man, did I kick myself!  :twak:  Fortunately, they're easily replaced.
Rambler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 09:54:01 AM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 04:21:05 PM
Hey all. Lurker here.

My brother sent me this as a birthday gift - my first SAK in many many years. It’s the same classic we both had when we were little (except ours were red). Brings back memories.

Anyway, thought I’d share my newest SAK with you folks.

Happy Birthday  tjb! :cheers:

Nice Classic! :like: :tu:

I love knives that bring back memories!  :D

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 07:51:48 PM
That SAK looks very familiar to me. Where have I seen it before? :think:

:like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!