Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Wengers are confusing...

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Old Wengers are confusing...
on: September 09, 2018, 05:23:35 AM
Ok, so I have been picking up a few Wengers lately. Thought I knew what I had but now sort of confused.

I have a red one, I think it is a serrated Highlander.  It matches most of the pics on SAKWIKI, but some show the nail file facing out, some facing in.

Then the black one. I thought it was a Classic 11, but no pics of it in black when I search.

Anyone here able to confirm?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Old Wengers are confusing...
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:30:47 AM
Another neat thing...

All these have the Wenger crest as a seperate piece pressed into the scales except the red Highlander on the right which is just painted or screened on the surface.

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 05:32:32 AM
Ok, so I have been picking up a few Wengers lately. Thought I knew what I had but now sort of confused.

I have a red one, I think it is a serrated Highlander.  It matches most of the pics on SAKWIKI, but some show the nail file facing out, some facing in.

Then the black one. I thought it was a Classic 11, but no pics of it in black when I search.

Anyone here able to confirm?

Thanks!!

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

on top you have a serrated highlander as far as I can tell. Everything I've seen shows that a highlander/commander's file can face either way.
The bottom appears to be a standard highlander in black. I have both of these as well!
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:25:59 AM
I believe they switched to the hot stamp sometime in the late 80s or early 90s instead of the metal inlay
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 01:01:42 PM
Wengers ARE confusing, there are/were so many variations on the standard models. And there are three different incompatible versions of the scales as far as the method of fixing. Also there are metal inlay, plastic inlay, hot stamped and screen printed logos.
The knife that brought me to these forums is a large (6 layer) Wenger that nobody has been able to definitively identify, the closest we can get is a "pre magnifier Tool Chest" dating from the dogleg can opener era. BUT I have a modern version with the same toolset which also defies being given a name or model number.
From what I have read/herd, Wenger were far more likely to do special runs for customers who wanted to order a custom toolset.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 02:56:33 AM

From what I have read/herd, Wenger were far more likely to do special runs for customers who wanted to order a custom toolset.

Exactly, and I think that's what makes them so interesting.  Like my SwissBuck collaboration made with Wenger.

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%