Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is that file stuff?

cbl51 · 23 · 1833

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
What is that file stuff?
on: September 10, 2018, 04:03:30 AM
For about 20 years I carried a classic on my keyring and got pretty used to the file. That weird ruff stuff that seems to be bonded with plating to the tool. But for the past month and a half I've been carrying my new executive and have become a new convert to the 74mm SAK. Of course thes is my first experience with the kind of real cut file that is on the executive, as my classic and my cadet is the rough stuff that I'm used to. I think I may like the new kind of file a bit better, but I'm curious. Can someone tell me just what is, and how the stuff on the classic nail file is and how it's made?

I'm curious as to the why and how Victorinox used the rough stuff for so long and if it's a more expensive kind of nail file to make, since it appears to be a more wide spread kind of file than the cut file on the executive.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:04:43 AM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: What is that file stuff?
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:46:43 AM
That cut file is actually an old design that's coming back (new Cadets have them).  Everything old is new again.
I don't know how they are made.  I've thought they might just be an EDM'ed surface on the steel. (ellectrical discharge machining)
- Steve

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:18:25 AM
Yep, it's made by EDM.  It's a slow process, but I expect it's cheaper when done to a large batch of files than cutting the file texture.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:35:26 PM
I'd always assumed it was peened, like hundreds of little indentations had been pressed in. It would make more sense to EDM a press tool, rather than each nail file...  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:50:12 PM
True. But wouldn’t you see quite a big variation in roughness with tool wear?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 02:33:50 PM
Good question.... but you'd regularly switch tooling at a point that would give consistent results. I don't know how many impressions such a tool would make before it started losing definition...  :think: in fact, you could probably monitor it with a simple load cell - when pressure increases beyond a certain limit to press at the required depth because the tips are blunt, index the tooling. That would retain efficiency in automation, and ensure consistent results.

A nail file doesn't need to be that hard, even with a SD tip, so there'd be a fair difference in hardness between that and the tooling. Plus the tooling could be ground and recut, so you wouldn't have extortionate consumable costs, and you could automate tooling production/refurb too.

The classic file is such a low cost component, produced in enormous batches, so the cycle time must be tiny. I'm struggling to see EDM as a viable process route :shrug:

I'm just thinking out load here
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:35:45 PM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 03:00:27 PM
Okay, what's a EDM and is it depositing material or just roughing/pitting up the surface thats already there?

I understand the cut file process, but the elm is an unknown to me. The file on the classic seems durable as I've had a classic for several years and used the file not only as a nail file, but on plastic, some softer metals like brass and copper with no ill results.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 03:08:55 PM
Okay, what's a EDM and is it depositing material or just roughing/pitting up the surface thats already there?

I understand the cut file process, but the elm is an unknown to me. The file on the classic seems durable as I've had a classic for several years and used the file not only as a nail file, but on plastic, some softer metals like brass and copper with no ill results.

EDM is electrodischarge machining. Metal removal by spark erosion

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 03:50:41 PM
You may very well be right Al. Hadn’t considered pressing the EDM pattern into the file blank, but it does make sense. After all, that’s how Victorinox make the nail nicks and tang stamps.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 03:57:49 PM
You may very well be right Al. Hadn’t considered pressing the EDM pattern into the file blank, but it does make sense. After all, that’s how Victorinox make the nail nicks and tang stamps.

I didn't realize the nail nicks were pressed. I always assumed they were machined. Learned something new.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 04:06:12 PM

I didn't realize the nail nicks were pressed. I always assumed they were machined. Learned something new.

I believe the blade taper from spine to edge is pressed too, so the only machining needed is the pivot hole and final edge grind.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 04:25:28 PM

I believe the blade taper from spine to edge is pressed too, so the only machining needed is the pivot hole and final edge grind.

Huh. I'm at a loss for how that works. Seems like different areas of the blade would have odd internal compression forces. But, I have no idea about that kind of stuff.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 04:36:14 PM
The discussion about nail nicks and grinds got me curious. I just rewatched this how it's made. At the 0:47 mark they say the nail nicks are stamped in when the blade blanks are stamped.

At 1:45 or so, it shows that the full flat grind is actually done by grinding.

Haven't seen anything about the original topic of nail files.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 06:37:20 PM
Huh. I'm at a loss for how that works. Seems like different areas of the blade would have odd internal compression forces. But, I have no idea about that kind of stuff.
You are correct, there is a lot of "cold work" in areas like the nail nick, but that all gets erased/evened out when the blade is heat treated.
- Steve

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 11:45:58 AM
The discussion about nail nicks and grinds got me curious. I just rewatched this how it's made. At the 0:47 mark they say the nail nicks are stamped in when the blade blanks are stamped.

At 1:45 or so, it shows that the full flat grind is actually done by grinding.

Haven't seen anything about the original topic of nail files.

Yup, looked around but didn't find anything about it. Not even a simple text explaining the process.

:-\

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 09:45:10 PM
Has anyone seen the new 2018 White Xmas? File seems to be cut. Skip to 4:20 for the file. And will the white eyeglass screwdrivers be available separately? I much preffer the white over the grey.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:48:20 PM by WWW »

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
What is that file stuff?
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 07:44:09 AM
I chatting with the Dutch Victorinox company on Instagram. Asked for the white screwdriver because I have the 2017 Christmas edition.
She's sent a mail to Switzerland, so now I have to wait. Hope they can get me a white one.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
What is that file stuff?
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 04:22:38 PM
Got a reaction today from Victorinox. The white mini screwdriver was made especially for the Christmas Sportsman and won't be sold separately.
Too bad!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:04:15 PM by Serena »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 04:23:21 PM
Did they really say Spartan?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 05:04:05 PM
No, Sportsman. My bad.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 05:38:15 PM
No, Sportsman. My bad.

Ah :) No offense BTW.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 05:39:17 PM

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:44 AM
Got a reaction today from Victorinox. The white mini screwdriver was made especially for the Christmas Sportsman and won't be sold separately.
Too bad!!!

What a pity!!! I would like to have a few.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%