Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Post a pic of your favorite auto-knife.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Post a pic of your favorite auto-knife.
on: September 10, 2018, 05:47:22 AM
Here's a side-opener, I added a few years back.  It's a Masters-of-Defense Point Man.

Size comparison to a ZT 303:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:49:45 AM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Re: Post a pic of your favorite auto-knife.
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:19:45 AM
Press Button Knife Co.one armed man's knife.Fancy aluminum handles(when this was made aluminum was as pricey as gold)with a three tined fork blade tip.Etch(barely visible)is for a company:"Compliments of A.A.Marks Makers of Artificial Limbs and other Specialties New York." Supposedly given away to Spanish American War veterans who had lost a hand or an arm in the war.Circa 1890's-early 1900's.
AAMarksPressButton1.jpg
* AAMarksPressButton1.jpg (Filesize: 75.21 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:26:52 AM
My small collection of Eagle Gravity pen knives.
IMG_0365.JPG
* IMG_0365.JPG (Filesize: 119.21 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:36:14 AM
Press Button Knife Co.one armed man's knife.Fancy aluminum handles(when this was made aluminum was as pricey as gold)with a three tined fork blade tip.Etch(barely visible)is for a company:"Compliments of A.A.Marks Makers of Artificial Limbs and other Specialties New York." Supposedly given away to Spanish American War veterans who had lost a hand or an arm in the war.Circa 1890's-early 1900's.

Historical, antique, and classic!  Great post, Ray. :like:
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:37:53 AM
My small collection of Eagle Gravity pen knives.

Wow!  Those are cool, Yadda!  Great stuff, guys. :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:55:30 AM
That MoD Point Man is pretty awesome looking, eTrip! :like:

I have a couple of cheap junk autos(like a lightning OTF and Boker Magnum), but most of what I have, close to auto, is assisted. :dunno:
Do those count?

My favorite assisted knife is the Kershaw Knockout OD/Blk.
20180912_212910-1.jpeg
* 20180912_212910-1.jpeg (Filesize: 53 KB)
20180912_212932-1.jpeg
* 20180912_212932-1.jpeg (Filesize: 47.47 KB)
20180912_212955-1.jpeg
* 20180912_212955-1.jpeg (Filesize: 71.71 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 11:18:57 AM
Fantastic Ray  :salute: There's something new to learn every day on this forum!  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 04:35:42 PM

I have a couple of cheap junk autos(like a lightning OTF and Boker Magnum), but most of what I have, close to auto, is assisted. :dunno:
Do those count?

well, A/O was partly developed by Ken to find a way through the strict laws on Autos and Gravity knives, and make what essentially is an automatic folder in action, without the legal definition of automatic affecting it.

Here in Spain for instance all automatic knives are forbidden, they can't be sold, owned, imported, manufactured, bought, or carried. But assisted openings are fine. Same happens to many other US states and other countries.  :think:

They are fun to play with but awkward to close.  :ahhh
I have a few, the Kershaw OSO Sweet, HARNDS Nyx, some TEKUT and TONIFE, a Ganzo, and a CRKT Ripple  :whistle:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 09:33:15 PM
I have only one auto, so without question it´s my favorite auto. Usually black or grey, this Protech TR-1 in Hunter Green is a limited edition made for Böker. This one is #16 of 100. Owning it is not a problem, but carrying this knife is illegal where I live.
protech-s.jpg
* protech-s.jpg (Filesize: 210.15 KB)
DSC08218-protech.jpg
* DSC08218-protech.jpg (Filesize: 501.38 KB)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:52:17 PM by Ron Who »

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 10:25:24 PM

Do those count?

Yep, assisted-openers can technically, be considered autos.  My ZT's, in the 300-series are equally fast.  Many states, like mine have eliminated the anachronistic 'switchblade' ban.  Some jurisdictions allow those with a CPL, to also carry a 'switch' if they desire one.  Kind of dumb, to allow licensed 'concealed-carry', and ban certain knives.  It was an inane, and very silly law.  Put in place, way-back in the fifties; when the politicos watched too many Blackboard Jungle and James Dean movies.  Assisted-blades and flippers are just as fast, with a slight-edge going to the OTF's by Microtech.  Mayhem was predicted, if the ban was lifted.  In reality, nothing happened. Most blade-owners are law-abiding, and responsible citizens.  Knife Rights Organization has notched almost 29 victories, in 21 states.  Send them a few bucks, they are worthy of it, and support lawful knife ownership, and the repeal of cumbersome laws that do nothing in regard to public-safety. 

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 10:29:08 PM
I have only one auto, so without question it´s my favorite auto. Usually black or grey, this Protech TR-1 in Hunter Green is a limited edition made for Böker. This one is #16 of 100. Owning it is not a problem, but carrying this knife is illegal where I live.

Great-looking little Boker.  I have a few 'autos' (e.g., Benchmade AFO) that; I couldn't legally-carry for awhile.  Never could understand why 'big knives' like the SOG Fatcat and Cold Steel 4 Max could be carried, and no-one would bat-an-eye.  Yet, a 'switchblade' made you into a wanton, mercenary on-the-prowl.  But our politicos moved into the 21st Century, and they rescinded the ridiculous ban.  I'm looking forward to buying a Benchmade Adamas auto.  Fully ambidextrous, as I'm a southpaw. :like:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:40:32 PM by eTripper »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:30 AM
Thank you for the info, eTrip! :cheers:

Yeah, not getting political, I must agree. A huge proportion of knife crime is committed with kitchen knives, so the bans are just silly for the most part. I remember when I lived in NYC for four years, I hid all my auto and assisted knives in my computer case, because of how serious the laws were there. Now, back in Alabama, I enjoy carrying whatever I want. :)

Do those count?

well, A/O was partly developed by Ken to find a way through the strict laws on Autos and Gravity knives, and make what essentially is an automatic folder in action, without the legal definition of automatic affecting it.

Here in Spain for instance all automatic knives are forbidden, they can't be sold, owned, imported, manufactured, bought, or carried. But assisted openings are fine. Same happens to many other US states and other countries.  :think:

They are fun to play with but awkward to close.  :ahhh
I have a few, the Kershaw OSO Sweet, HARNDS Nyx, some TEKUT and TONIFE, a Ganzo, and a CRKT Ripple  :whistle:
Thank you for the info, TP! :cheers:
The OSO is just fantastic for the money. It is also one of the strongest A/O knives I have ever messed with. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:19:02 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 03:16:47 AM
So, even though most of my "fast knives" are assisted, I do have an auto I do like a lot. It is a secret shame of mine, but I like the Lightning OTF. It has always performed well and the blade keeps a fair edge. I also wouldn't be too broken up if it walked off during a work day.  :)
20180912_213121-1.jpeg
* 20180912_213121-1.jpeg (Filesize: 54.66 KB)
20180912_213134-1.jpeg
* 20180912_213134-1.jpeg (Filesize: 50.8 KB)
20180912_213144-1.jpeg
* 20180912_213144-1.jpeg (Filesize: 70.53 KB)

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 03:44:07 AM

Yeah, not getting political, I must agree. A huge proportion of knife crime is committed with kitchen knives, so the bans are just silly for the most part. I remember when I lived in NYC for four years, I hid all my auto and assisted knives in my computer case, because of how serious the laws were there. Now, back in Alabama, I enjoy carrying whatever I want. :)

Glad you made-it back to a 'free-state' GLBM.  Liberty is a beautiful thing, is it not? :tu: :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 04:08:04 AM

Glad you made-it back to a 'free-state' GLBM.  Liberty is a beautiful thing, is it not? :tu: :salute:
It is nice to not worry about being arrested for having nice tools and protection on hand.  :cheers: :salute:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 05:35:20 AM
Great-looking little Boker

Thanks. It´s not that little though.
DSC03676-protech-solo-snow.jpg
* DSC03676-protech-solo-snow.jpg (Filesize: 174.47 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 01:30:39 PM

The OSO is just fantastic for the money. It is also one of the strongest A/O knives I have ever messed with. :)

ah, yes  ::)  in fact it has flown out of my hand two times that I recall  :whistle: :facepalm:

On the topic, it's amazing how stupid knife laws are. Especially nowadays, where smooth as glass flippers, knives on bearings, assisted openers, and especially the Waved folding knives are all-present, and arguably as fast (or faster in case of the Wave) as autos.  :dunno:
And also, when knives that are arguably much deadlier (bigger, longer, etc. that the classic stilettos that inspired these archaic laws) are readily available to purchase from shops, retailers and manufacturers  :facepalm:

Old impressions and senseless fear unfortunately last for long.  ???
Nice that you moved to a more permissive state, GLBM  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:31:54 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 03:34:14 PM
Thank you, TP!  :cheers:

My state has some laws about "Bowie" knives that are contradictory at best. They can even call a machete a Bowie knife. :ahhh
With that said, there are no other restrictions to speak of. Guess I need to rethink the machete that is wedged between my driver seat and console.  :rofl:

Glad you can carry some of your nicer knives, where you're at, TP!  :)
I've always felt that the best approach to knife crime would be extremely severe penalties for such behavior. 99.99%(or more) of us knife carrying folk would never use our edged tools for anything nefarious. We wouldn't throw a tractor-trailor full of apples away if one had gone bad. :ahhh

Oh, one more cheap auto in my collection. Another beater. Boker licensed(budget line) Magnum. :)
20180912_213023-1.jpeg
* 20180912_213023-1.jpeg (Filesize: 49.93 KB)
20180912_213033-1.jpeg
* 20180912_213033-1.jpeg (Filesize: 51.92 KB)
20180912_213057-1.jpeg
* 20180912_213057-1.jpeg (Filesize: 70.94 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 10:41:41 PM
Without trying to politicize the conversation my take on it is that if the knife laws were UNIFORM from state to state it would be much easier for all.The sad thing is that not only do laws vary from state to state but even within a state.What may be totally legal in one jurisdiction may constitute a felony in another.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 03:04:41 AM
Without trying to politicize the conversation my take on it is that if the knife laws were UNIFORM from state to state it would be much easier for all.The sad thing is that not only do laws vary from state to state but even within a state.What may be totally legal in one jurisdiction may constitute a felony in another.
Indeed. I always forget that. Strange to think, one knife that is cool in one county can get jail time, in another county. :ahhh

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 06:41:40 AM
That is why "preemption laws" at the state-level are a good thing.  It eliminates the patchwork quilt of statutes enacted by local municipalities, and county ordinances with a deference to only the state law.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 01:46:08 PM
That would definitely alleviate a lot of confusion and subsequent charges. Also, it would be imperative for law enforcement to respect a person's state of residence, as to avoid throwing 'out-of-state" people under a beaurocrat bus when they are caught with their(being local authorities) idea of "illegal knives." Not to mention, it would allow local state law-enforcement to concentrate more on actual crime taking place. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 01:47:18 PM by gerleatherberman »

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 12:51:24 AM
A good example is a situation a friend of mine went through awhile back.He is very much a law abiding citizen and was a passenger in a car that was going through a nearby town and was stopped for having a burnt out tail light bulb. This town can be really difficult if it happens to be near the end of the month and the ticket quota hasn't been met.
Anyway in the course of the stop the officer asked if there were any illegal drugs or weapons in the car. My friend mentions that he has a pocket knife(relatively small one) and well within the framework of the law which here is 3 inches.He was polite and respectful to the officer and long story short he was detained for carrying a concealed weapon which is a felony! Not sure about this part but supposedly if he had been walking down the street with it in his pocket it would not have been a problem but being in a car with it constitutes carrying a concealed weapon. This is supposedly a city ordinance. He will be fighting it in court but knowing the area he may not be in good shape. I wonder just how many people are actually aware of this ordinance. Rant over;sorry if it sounds political.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 01:24:16 AM
Good discussion fellas and thanks for not letting it get too political.  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 03:39:26 AM
Good discussion fellas and thanks for not letting it get too political.  :tu:
:cheers:

A good example is a situation a friend of mine went through awhile back.He is very much a law abiding citizen and was a passenger in a car that was going through a nearby town and was stopped for having a burnt out tail light bulb. This town can be really difficult if it happens to be near the end of the month and the ticket quota hasn't been met.
Anyway in the course of the stop the officer asked if there were any illegal drugs or weapons in the car. My friend mentions that he has a pocket knife(relatively small one) and well within the framework of the law which here is 3 inches.He was polite and respectful to the officer and long story short he was detained for carrying a concealed weapon which is a felony! Not sure about this part but supposedly if he had been walking down the street with it in his pocket it would not have been a problem but being in a car with it constitutes carrying a concealed weapon. This is supposedly a city ordinance. He will be fighting it in court but knowing the area he may not be in good shape. I wonder just how many people are actually aware of this ordinance. Rant over;sorry if it sounds political.
Thank you for sharing that, Ray! Definitely something that people should know about. I sure hope he can get that felony charge thrown out.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%