Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 days of GEC

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
30 days of GEC
on: September 10, 2018, 04:22:18 PM
I am looking to carry my most recent acquisition, the GEC 48 improved trapper, for 30 days. I want to use it for all of my (reasonable, no batoning) cutting tasks. I figure this way, I will use the knife, rather than just keep it in my pocket. Anyone who wants to join me with their GEC of any model is more than welcome. I will start tomorrow, so that everyone has a chance to join if they want. I already have the traditional badge, so I’m not sure if there is anything I can add from this :think: . But either we can make a new badge or all of the other participants can get a traditional folder badge. I hope i have some company in my challenge!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:23:19 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: 30 days of GEC
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:27:42 PM
I'll be following.  Such a lovely knife IMO has to be used so enjoy  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 04:35:25 PM
I might be willing to do this one with you.  If I do, it will likely be my Calf Roper but right now I'm having a hard time getting my new Case stockman out of my pocket!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:36:38 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:00:15 PM
I might be willing to do this one with you.  If I do, it will likely be my Calf Roper but right now I'm having a hard time getting my new Case stockman out of my pocket!

(Image removed from quote.)
You can do it ;) your calf roper is begging for attention.

us Offline David

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 06:41:25 PM
I've never done a challenge cause i dont like to be locked into a certain type of carry for a month. Is this challenge for one only GEC knife for a month?

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:51:42 PM
Closest award is the 30 day trad challenge which does allow you to swap knives. So as long as you stick with GECs for the duration I guess you’ll be ok to switch between different models.

I’m tempted to take part, even though I only have two GEC knives now: a Calf Roper and a Crown Lifter.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 06:54:02 PM
I've never done a challenge cause i dont like to be locked into a certain type of carry for a month. Is this challenge for one only GEC knife for a month?
I will most likely be using just the one GEC, but we could make the rules so that you can rotate different GECs if you want! Also, I will be carrying another blade for emergencies that cannot be handled by the gec such as a car crash, physical attack, things like that. I just wont use the second knife unless there is an emergency.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:56:16 PM
Closest award is the 30 day trad challenge which does allow you to swap knives. So as long as you stick with GECs for the duration I guess you’ll be ok to switch between different models.

I’m tempted to take part, even though I only have two GEC knives now: a Calf Roper and a Crown Lifter.
Do it! *peer pressure activate* maybe we can convince one of the mods that this deserves its own badge ;)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 07:49:27 PM
I'm thinking I will limit my carry to my Calf Roper and one plier-based MT...

I already have the Trad badge as well (the ONLY one I have!), so it will just be for fun.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:51:20 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 01:43:37 AM
I'll be following.. this looks like a good time!!
Barry

us Offline David

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 02:10:02 AM
I'm going to pass on the challenge. I'll follow yawls fun!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 01:09:22 PM
Ok, let's give this a go...

Day 1/30

Calf Roper

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 03:27:35 PM
Day 1/30 also Calf Roper!

- Terry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 03:30:40 PM
This will be interesting  :like:

But if I recall the Trad Badge correctly you can swap out daily as long g as it is a traditional knife  :think: I carried a different knife everyday when I did this challenge :shrug:

Since this is specified as a GEC challenge I wouldn't see why it would have to be the same one for the whole month as long as it is a GEC :think: But you can have whatever rules you want with it though  :salute:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 03:42:11 PM
It's gdoolittle's challenge.  I'll follow whatever rules he thinks are appropriate.
- Terry

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 03:50:57 PM
Yep.  Like I said, my only other GEC is a Crown Lifter - but the one I could carry all month is the Calf Roper, so that's what I started with.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 03:51:45 PM
maybe we can convince one of the mods that this deserves its own badge ;)

Badge is in the works. :tu:  You just need to come up with the rules. :pok:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 03:52:43 PM
Day 1/30 also Calf Roper!

And a Spirit! :dd:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 04:18:22 PM
I've decided that I'm going to try to only carry a GEC knife-wise for the challenge, and not carry any SAKs except for the Rambler on my keychain.  You don't really need a SAK when you carry a Spirit!  So, I would imagine I'll be carrying that through most of the challenge as well.

The only time this should be difficult for me is when I go on vacation to CO later in the month.  I'll be doing some hiking and I'll want to carry a larger blade, but I will try to resist.

EDIT: On second thought, I might carry another GEC for the larger blade...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:19:57 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
30 days of GEC
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 06:07:55 PM
Ok here are the rules: any suggestions are welcome

Lets say no swapping, but you can supplement your main GEC with another GEC if you desire. Just don’t stop carrying the main one and use it when you can.

30 days consecutive posts

You must use the GEC for all cutting tasks, unless you are doing something that counts as abuse or just something the GEC simply cannot handle(ex would be chopping down a small tree ) On a hike or something like that if you want to carry a different branded, bigger knife for those type of situations I see no problem with that. Just carry your GEC as well and use it when it is reasonable. Also, silverware at dinner is fine. Don’t want anyone kicked out of a nice restaurant

I will not be carrying a SAK, but a plier based tool. If we want to make that a rule, thats fine. If not, so be it.

In use photos are encouraged, but so are beauty shots.

Post a picture at the end comparing the patina/wear you had to what you have now.

I am open to any other rule suggestions. I will get my picture up this afternoon/evening.

Beautiful day 1 posts by the way. Those Calf Ropers are gorgeous.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:46:48 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 06:43:03 PM
 :popcorn:
This will be fun to watch but I'm afraid I can't join in.
I already tried a 30 day carbon challenge and failed   :shrug: To much of a stainless junkie aka slut to stay loyal for 30 days.  :facepalm:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
30 days of GEC
Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 06:45:02 PM
I already tried a 30 day carbon challenge and failed   :shrug: To much of a stainless junkie aka slut to stay loyal for 30 days.  :facepalm:
“If once you don’t succeed, try, try again.”
-someone smart

;)

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:53 PM
-someone smart

;)
Didn't someone smart say "the defination of stupid is doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results."

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 07:22:48 PM
-someone smart

;)
Didn't someone smart say "the defination of stupid is doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results."
Ah yes, but someone smart also said:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 08:13:51 PM
The rules look good to me.  Maybe we can use this set of rules with other brands of traditional slipjoints as well.

I'll just supplement the #66 with a #73 Scout when the need arises.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:15:57 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 09:47:32 PM
-someone smart

;)
Ah yes, but someone smart also said:
(Image removed from quote.)
:think: so true.
I haven't seen that one before.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 11:40:57 PM
Day 1!!!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 12:06:29 AM
Day 1 writeup:
I a very much looking forward to this challenge. This knife and the #42 are my first GECs. The quality is absolutely incredible on my specimens. the fit is seamless and the snap and pull are perfect. I have never held a traditional with such quality, and that includes some pretty nice old Camillus, Craftsman, and Boker knives as well as modern Case and Buck knives. I would say that on my models, the fit and finish is even better than that of Victorinox, which has been the king in my book until now. As I have said earlier, the #48 Improved Trapper will be my main cutting tool for the next 30 days, and hopefully more after the challenge is over. I have had a Case Trapper for some time and I love it, but have always wished that the spey blade was something else. It's great as a hunting knife but it could be more useful for "edc", since you already have a kind-of similar blade in the clip point. I actually was wishing that it was wharncliffe, for the straight edge and better utility type usage. This creates a more rounded knife for "edc" in my opinion. you have your clip point for any game/food prep/normal knife use and you have the wharncliffe that really digs in on a draw cut (great at opening boxes) and has that needle-like point for extreme detail or removing splinters. There are plenty of other uses for both blades, but the point is that it just seems like a more rounded knife. So I knew I wanted an "improved trapper," but I did not yet know that an "improved trapper" was a real thing. Well, I had been on another search for a back pocket locking blade and was fortunate to stumble across a GEC #42 Northfield in stag. It is a beautiful knife. The fit and finish astounded me and ended up really turning me on to GEC so I thought I would look at their other offerings. Lo and behold, there it was. An "Improved Trapper," made by the company that had impressed the dickens out of me in such short notice. I knew immediately that I had to have it, and took some time deciding on handle material. I decided on a Northfield with Sambar Stag and I am glad that I did. The pair look great together (see first post of this thread). I have not used the knife for a whole lot yet, as I have had it for two days, but I am certainly looking forward to our journey together.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 12:40:57 AM

You're not alone, Dean. I have two carbon slippies (and one in D2) which get occasional carry, but stainless just makes life so much easier.  :D

Good luck to all taking part though  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
30 days of GEC
Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:58 AM
Update allready. Tried to sharpen it but it is not taking a very good edge. Sharpmaker is the only sharpener I have but I was matching the angle. When that did not work I reprofiled it to 30 degrees. Atill will not get nearly as sharp as a SAK will. Any suggestions? I probably spent 45 minutes on it. It is useable, but not hair popping like I get my SAKs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:44:11 AM by gdoolittle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD