Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Lansky Sharpener

ch Offline ghiekorg

Which Lansky Sharpener
on: November 04, 2018, 07:11:46 PM
Hi everyone
i know there is already a sharpening thread, But i need help on a specific problem.
I want to buy a Lansky to sharpen my vics as i bought a lot of used ones and they are pretty dull. The problem comes when i have to decide which version. As i understood there are 3 main kits:
- Stones, i would add the Sapphire Hone and maybe the Leather one (i usually use balsa to strop): https://lansky.com/index.php/products/dlx-5-stone-system/
- Diamond, as i read is "better" but i don't know if i need them for SAKs, as the steel is quite soft: https://lansky.com/index.php/products/3-stone-standard-diamond-system/
- Arkansas Stone. I have no idea of this  :( : https://lansky.com/index.php/products/natural-arkansas-system/

What would you suggest me?
Do you think i will have enough "space" to also sharpen the small blade? I know about the problem of the hone hitting the clamp  :-\

Thanks
 :cheers:

00 Offline undertaker99

Re: Which Lansky Sharpener
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 07:15:22 PM
SAKs are too small to work an any of those.  I recommend their croc stick sharpener. But make sure you get the plastic base one not the wood one.  On the wood one, the angle of the holes aren't even drilled accurately and they screwed up my bevel.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:29:23 PM
I strongly recomend the Victorinox pocket sharpener. I have the diamond Lansky & agree the lansky systems will not work well with a SAK.
I use the Vic sharpener on all my SAKs.
If the blade is in really bad shape I use an Easy Lap.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:48:55 PM by Butch »
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:46:50 PM
Thank you guys

I recommend their croc stick sharpener.
I almost bought the spyderco once (the lansky is much more difficult to find here), do you think they give similar results?

I strongly recomend the Victorinox pocket sharpener. I have the diamond Lansky & agree the lansky systems will not work well with a SAK.
I have the pocket sharpener too and i think it's really good, but even with stropping the knife afterwards i can't get to rasor sharp edges. I mean they get really sharp, but not shaving sharp.  :(

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:02:31 PM
Thank you guys

I recommend their croc stick sharpener.
I almost bought the spyderco once (the lansky is much more difficult to find here), do you think they give similar results?

I have the pocket sharpener too and i think it's really good, but even with stropping the knife afterwards i can't get to rasor sharp edges. I mean they get really sharp, but not shaving sharp.  :(

Get an old knife and practice, sharpening is as much art as science.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%