Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What kind of oil/lube do you use on your LM MT?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: What kind of oil/lube do you use on your LM MT?
Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 10:40:25 PM
Whatever piece of equipment I am working on is what my multi gets. Grease, diesel, 10w40......

Ha! I remember those days well  :D Unfortunately the fluids I was using weren't the cleanest, so the action could get a little "crunchy" occasionally  :P Didn't take long to flush it out though  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline mtoolman

Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 01:12:30 PM
Cooking oil will turn rancid after a period of time.  Mineral oil is food safe and won't turn rancid.

I suppose if you clean your knife thoroughly on a frequent basis, cooking oil would be fine to use.

What does "rancid" mean, when cooking oil affects the tools? What symptoms are they, and how to correct it? Because I used to use cooking oil for chain saw a few year ago. Haven't used the chain saw for a while, so a bit worried about that.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 01:18:02 PM

What does "rancid" mean, when cooking oil affects the tools? What symptoms are they, and how to correct it? Because I used to use cooking oil for chain saw a few year ago. Haven't used the chain saw for a while, so a bit worried about that.

smells bad, loses liquidity, becomes smelly and sticky, can be acidic in the tongue and also in the steel (potential for corrosion)   :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline mtoolman

Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 02:29:01 PM

smells bad, loses liquidity, becomes smelly and sticky, can be acidic in the tongue and also in the steel (potential for corrosion)   :P

Thats no good then. I must wash out the chainsaw oil compartment with alchol or something, and relubricate with normal egine oil or proper chainsaw oil.

So cooking oil should never be used for tools. Ahhh.. painful lesson.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%