Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New scales 84mm Victoinox

Offline Vincent31

New scales 84mm Victoinox
on: August 28, 2018, 01:52:59 AM
Greetings all,  I'm interested  in  putting  new scales on my Victorinox 84mm knife.  I  have found  new scales to purchase  but the old  scales  currently  on the  knife  do "Not" have slots  for toothpick  and tweezers.  The new scales  do have  slots  for both. The knife  was given  to me as a gift from  a company  that had its logo  inscribed  on the scales. Does  anyone  know  if  new  scales will  fit ? Thanks  for your help. 

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Re: New scales 84mm Victoinox
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 02:07:04 AM
The new scales will fit just fine.  I do this same thing all the time. SAKs made this way make great gifts. 

Just curious — is your source of 84mm scales in the US?

Myron

Offline Vincent31

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:32:59 AM
Thank you for your response. The source I found was not in the US. It is from  eBay  via UA. Hope that helps.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:50:30 AM
Greetings all,  I'm interested  in  putting  new scales on my Victorinox 84mm knife.  I  have found  new scales to purchase  but the old  scales  currently  on the  knife  do "Not" have slots  for toothpick  and tweezers.  The new scales  do have  slots  for both. The knife  was given  to me as a gift from  a company  that had its logo  inscribed  on the scales. Does  anyone  know  if  new  scales will  fit ? Thanks  for your help.

Hi, welcome to the forum  :cheers:

Yep, the new scales will fit just fine as mentioned. You probably need to get a new tweezer and toothpick to go with  them though :D

Just out of curiosity, and if you don't mind my asking, how much did they charged you for the scales?
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline Vincent31

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:31:48 AM
That's great. Thanks.  The scales, tweezers, toothpick, pin, and tether  are $ 9.80 including  shipping.  I  can't  copy and paste item from EBAY  but  if you  search  it will  come up  quickly.  Seller is , " viktryls" . 

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:52:39 AM
Welcome to the forum Vincent! :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 01:14:02 PM
That's great. Thanks.  The scales, tweezers, toothpick, pin, and tether  are $ 9.80 including  shipping.  I  can't  copy and paste item from EBAY  but  if you  search  it will  come up  quickly.  Seller is , " viktryls" .

Thanks for the info mate  :tu:
I was just curious about prices being asked these days on eBay, i wasn't looking to buy some. I have lots off all sizes stashed away already :D
While not as expensive as I've seen before from eBay sellers, for just one pair it's still a bit expensive, at least it has everything included...  :think:

I get mine directly from the Vic national importer over here. A pair of 91/84mm scales are about 1,5€ tops, the same goes for all the other parts too. Third party sellers usually inflate the prices a lot...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 08:51:16 AM
Welcome aboard Vincent :salute:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Offline Vincent31

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 12:49:53 PM
Thank you.

Offline Vincent31

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 02:07:01 AM
I wanted to update my scale purchase .It was a mistake on my part to think I had a Victorinox 84mm knife. It is in fact a Wenger 85mm knife. So I need to purchase a set of scales for that instead. I'm not having much luck finding a set of scales that are reasonable in price. Does anyone have a link to where I can find the right scales ?  I live in the United States Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 02:34:41 AM
I wanted to update my scale purchase .It was a mistake on my part to think I had a Victorinox 84mm knife. It is in fact a Wenger 85mm knife. So I need to purchase a set of scales for that instead. I'm not having much luck finding a set of scales that are reasonable in price. Does anyone have a link to where I can find the right scales ?  I live in the United States Thanks

Unfortunately, that makes things a little more tricky, Vincent. The Wenger scales, and how they mount, have changed a few times over the years. This means not only do you have to match the knife size, but the time period and attachment method too. Your best hope might be someone who mods (modifies) knives, and see if they have a spare pair. They might be slightly used though, however they'd also need to see which type you need.

Or...

Have a go at making yourself some wooden scales instead. There's several members here who have made their own glue on scales, and they make for a great looking knife. One final option, is to pop off your existing scales, and file in the grooves to accept the scales tools, then pop them back on.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:37:06 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 05:25:27 AM
Photos when you get her done!

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 08:02:08 AM

Hi, I have a PDF file that shows the different scales attachment methods used by Wenger. Could be useful to buy the correct scales. Feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%