Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Karl Elsener Gedenkmünze-Set 2018

CeHo · 119 · 5472

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Karl Elsener Gedenkmünze-Set 2018
Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 01:20:33 PM
Again, Mac, I completely agree.

But sadly, economicaly seen it are still rather rough times.

Profit is needed to survive.
Investments can be needed, but are more risky.

Right now it seems to me that they are making a safe bet.

Do I approve?
No...

Can I understand it?
Yes.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 02:58:57 PM
 :iagree:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 04:15:39 PM
To be honest, I wanted that Elsener commemorative knife and coin very much. And I was very disappointed when I couldn't get one. But after reading Mac's opinions I am not disappointed anymore. Mac is right: 100 Euro'sis way too much for an ordinary knife plus a silver coin. If I can buy one now, it's only as an investment (Maybe a bad investment - time will tell.)
I also understand why Victorinox is making and selling these LE's. It's BECAUSE the knives sell as hell and make good profit.
It still would be a smart thing if Victorinox would invest a little bit more in innovation. Why don't they have diamond files, or something like the Swiza Tick Tool?

so Offline maxt

Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 04:30:33 PM
I do not understand the rant. If you are a user - buy a SAK to use, why even bother reading the threads about limited editions. Every product has it's own market niche, you can buy a 'user' knife in hundreds of thousands retail shops, they are all standard. All 500 millions of them )

Now to buy a collection piece will require searching, reading, following social networks etc. Collection pieces are more expensive and are not destined for a user like yourself. Now why you blame Victorinox for making high-end collection models, when they have already made perfect products to use?

So when you speak about innovations - you have to stay away from collectors threads and start user threads where users will exchange the views. Probably we will not have much to discuss: innovation-wise Victorinox has always been slow. For the last 5 years I can name just a handful of changes (Skipper, new nail-file for Cadet, Wine-master, could be more, I can't recall). It will be another 5 years when they come up with 1-2 minor changes and probably a new implement. This is not the reason to shame collection pieces.

I am collector and a user. As a user I have 3-4 different SAKs (SwissChamp, CT41, Gardner and Rescue stored in the car) plus SwissTool XL for work. I do not even need any new implements and tools.

But as a collector I can say that the more LE models are out there - the better for me. It is a hobby of buying new things of the same kind. It is the market segment where grown-up boys shop for shiny little toys for the sake of amusement only. They do not care if the tools are practical. They care to get more toys into collection.

Now when I finished about the rant, I would like to keep to the subject of the thread and share my opinion.
What I - as a collector - dislike is the new concept of Victorinox to make LE models that are sold in a special box and that must be stored or displayed in the box. All Chinese New year series, Dragons and now this Gedenkmünze. They did special boxing in the past (Damast series, Battle set and separate Battle knives, Cantonmesser,100th, 125 anniv), the same did Wenger with Wood edition, Life, Porche and Giant, all these are quoted as examples. They all were stored in special cases, but besides Cantonmesser and Battle set, each knive can be stored and displayed independently.

Now the box becomes a part of the knife. You can't display or store the knife without it as it is part of the design and composition.
This new trend is troubling me, as apparently we collectors now have to think about special box storage and display.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:31:55 PM by maxt »
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 06:47:43 PM
I do not understand the rant. If you are a user - buy a SAK to use, why even bother reading the threads about limited editions. Every product has it's own market niche, you can buy a 'user' knife in hundreds of thousands retail shops, they are all standard. All 500 millions of them )

Now to buy a collection piece will require searching, reading, following social networks etc. Collection pieces are more expensive and are not destined for a user like yourself. Now why you blame Victorinox for making high-end collection models, when they have already made perfect products to use?

Siighhh.....  :facepalm:

Mate.... (..."deep breath"...)

First: I wasn't having a "rant"... or at least that wasn't my intention...

Second: I'll bother to read what i want, and i'll bother to comment or give my opinion about what i want...

Third: As you may have figured, i'm not, nor was i ever a collector (of anything). The concept itself is meaningless and uninteresting to me, yet as i've said on many times before, i can respect and empathize with those who collect, and have a passion for it. I can certainly empathize with that, even if i don't really understand a lot of it. There for i have no "beef" with collectors.

Fourth: As a Sak user and buyer for the last 30 years, i think i'm entitled to have an opinion of weather i like the course the company is taking (as a customer), even if i understand to a point but don't agree with it.

And Fifth: I do not blame Victorinox for making high-end collection models, i'm saying they are putting much more emphasis on that than on what the company was initially created for, and has grown up through the years and best known for. For me it's a product not a brand. All i said was that aside all the "collectible" LE/SE's they make, in the molds they make them, why not make also some LE's or SE's of actual different materials and functions at reasonable prices, that would work for both collectors and users, i figure...  :think:
Oh wait.... but that would cost a bit more for them to make than just slaping on printed fancy cellidor scales on standard ordinary models and making fancy cardboard boxes and charging a small fortune for it.... And profit wouldn't be as big too.... got it...   :oops:

Now why you blame Victorinox for making high-end collection models, when they have already made perfect products to use?

So when you speak about innovations - you have to stay away from collectors threads and start user threads where users will exchange the views. Probably we will not have much to discuss: innovation-wise Victorinox has always been slow. For the last 5 years I can name just a handful of changes (Skipper, new nail-file for Cadet, Wine-master, could be more, I can't recall). It will be another 5 years when they come up with 1-2 minor changes and probably a new implement. This is not the reason to shame collection pieces.

Again, i don't "have to" stay away from any threads, or anybody else for that matter. If you came to a user thread and give a similar opinion as mine but about "user" saks, i would certainly not hold it against you... Why would I...? It's your opinion.... I have no problem with it... And certainly wouldn't get defensive or gotten annoyed by your views on it...

My point was Vic should dedicate at least the same amount of time to R&D of new stuff or even SE's of improved stuff as much as they do to the LE/SE's, in the current molds that they do. That would please everybody: users, collectors, and user-collectors  ;)

They don't have to make any big investments or changes to improve small things, or make one or two new models. I've already given examples of it on previous posts.

As a side note, can you give any example where i've tried to "shame" collectors "pieces" like you've said...?  Or perhaps you perhaps you meant "prices" instead...?

I am collector and a user. As a user I have 3-4 different SAKs (SwissChamp, CT41, Gardner and Rescue stored in the car) plus SwissTool XL for work. I do not even need any new implements and tools.

Cool..., but that's what you need, not what everybody else might need, or want... Everybody's different.

But as a collector I can say that the more LE models are out there - the better for me. It is a hobby of buying new things of the same kind. It is the market segment where grown-up boys shop for shiny little toys for the sake of amusement only. They do not care if the tools are practical. They care to get more toys into collection.

That's fine, i've nothing to say against that. If that's what you like and makes you happy than go for it, i respect that, even if i don't share the same interest.  :tu:
However, you wouldn't find a different (even LE/SE) new or improved model of an existing sak equally collectable...?

Anyway... my apologies to everyone if you feel like i've gotten too off topic with my comments.
 :b2t:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:52:16 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 06:58:19 PM
For me, it´s about the product, not the brand, as well. And even though I own about 75 SAKs I would call myself a user, not a collector. I have an equal number of tools by other brands. And that´s what counts from a user point of view. If Victorinox can´t (or doesn´t) provide what I need, I´ll switch to another brand (or buy mods). Complaining that Vx isn´t doing right is useless IMO.

Edit: after all, as others said before me,  Vx are there to make money, not to suit my individual needs (or yours).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:23:04 PM by Ron Who »

so Offline maxt

Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 08:10:06 PM
they are putting much more emphasis on that than on what the company was initially created for, and has grown up through the years and best known for.

The company was initially created to make profit. Through years Victorinox has developed in an absolutely conservative way and it is best know for it. SwissChamp is 33 years old, besides minor improvements (mag glass, file) and rare short-lived deviations (Supertimer) it is the same old model. It has been repacked into vast variety of scales of all kinds of materials but still it is nearly the same.
R&D is expensive, releasing new models is risky.
Marketing new scales and new Alox color costs less, but brings guaranteed profits.

Wenger was about innovations and it left enormous heritage of infinite models, modifications and specifications. But where is Wenger today? Right, it is history. Even the name vanished for good.

You can discuss Victorinox business as you like and advise them whatever, but to me (or anybody slightly related to management) they are an example of success and they have been a story to learn for 100 years now.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:01 PM
they are putting much more emphasis on that than on what the company was initially created for, and has grown up through the years and best known for.

The company was initially created to make profit.

Ohhh... silly me.... and here i was thinking that it was created to make pocket knives for the Swiss army all along....  ::)   :whistle:

The company was initially created to make profit. Through years Victorinox has developed in an absolutely conservative way and it is best know for it. SwissChamp is 33 years old, besides minor improvements (mag glass, file) and rare short-lived deviations (Supertimer) it is the same old model. It has been repacked into vast variety of scales of all kinds of materials but still it is nearly the same.
R&D is expensive, releasing new models is risky.
Marketing new scales and new Alox color costs less, but brings guaranteed profits.

Wenger was about innovations and it left enormous heritage of infinite models, modifications and specifications. But where is Wenger today? Right, it is history. Even the name vanished for good.

You can discuss Victorinox business as you like and advise them whatever, but to me (or anybody slightly related to management) they are an example of success and they have been a story to learn for 100 years now.

.... well...as far as i'm aware off Wenger didn't made a ton of LE/SE's at huge prices for collectors per year, and then increase their profit... Heey... maybe that's why they went under...  :think:
You learn something new everyday, gota love it...  >:D

Seriously though.... if you still didn't understood my point after all this discussion, there is no point in trying to explain it to you any further, really...

You are right about the "anybody slightly related to management" part though... I majored in Engineering, so the engineering side of things is way more interesting to me than the management, that's for sure.  Heck, the ideas i mentioned early, heaven forbid, if they made any would probably even drive the company to bankruptcy....  :facepalm:

But anyway, and again....  :b2t:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:32:13 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

so Offline maxt

Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 08:57:39 PM
No, please, don't explain anything to me. Since you are obviously balancing between being rude and sarcastic, I will further restrain myself from this discussion.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 09:25:29 PM
No, please, don't explain anything to me. Since you are obviously balancing between being rude and sarcastic, I will further restrain myself from this discussion.

Rude and sarcastic??

When have you seen me being rude to you or anyone else in this post...?
I would advise you to read your first post again, carefully, and then decide who was being... shall i say... "biting"... in the first place

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #40 on: September 16, 2018, 10:00:53 PM
And this is exactly why I'm spending less time here now than I used to do 5 years ago ... 

But please, don't mind melancholic old me ...

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: September 16, 2018, 10:32:30 PM
 :b2t:
How are you gentlemen finding out about the special editions. I see stuff I didn’t even know existed. This forum is great for sharing. I have seen and learned a lot in the 1st month I have been here. So how are you finding out???

be Offline Chips

Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 06:28:29 PM
@Rapidray, I just check out the Victorinox official website now en then.

And guess what?  :mail: :woohoo:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: September 17, 2018, 06:34:30 PM
 :popcorn:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: September 17, 2018, 06:57:04 PM

That’s great! I have one on hold myself. Just not in the mail yet! Photos when you get yours in!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #45 on: September 17, 2018, 07:28:43 PM
It's a nice set, but I don't particularly love the Huntsman pattern. If it was a Climber I'd be more interested.  :climber:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:52 PM

Nice!

Today one was sold on eBay:
131 Euro

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 09:33:01 PM
That’s about the going rate on eBay...$150.00

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 12:48:52 PM

Really?! Ohhh... I was enjoying this so much...

:cry: :cry:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 12:50:12 PM

Just so you know, this was an atempt at sarcasm... I tried being rude, but didn't manage to succeed.

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 12:52:39 PM

Just so you know, this was an atempt at sarcasm... I tried being rude, but didn't manage to succeed.

This one, too, was a sarcastic comment. But you awlready figured that out, right?

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 12:53:25 PM

This one, too, was a sarcastic comment. But you awlready figured that out, right?

8) 8)

:hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 18, 2018, 01:33:49 PM
 :rofl:

Oh Santos, com'on... Don't put more wood into that fire...  >:D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: September 18, 2018, 01:36:30 PM

Wood, moi?! If you'd be listening to what she says, you wouldn't be saying that...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 18, 2018, 01:39:24 PM

Wood, moi?! If you'd be listening to what she says, you wouldn't be saying that...

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: September 18, 2018, 01:52:08 PM
 :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

fr Offline Régis-Joël Charnay

Reply #56 on: September 18, 2018, 04:06:08 PM

Now when I finished about the rant, I would like to keep to the subject of the thread and share my opinion.
What I - as a collector - dislike is the new concept of Victorinox to make LE models that are sold in a special box and that must be stored or displayed in the box. All Chinese New year series, Dragons and now this Gedenkmünze. They did special boxing in the past (Damast series, Battle set and separate Battle knives, Cantonmesser,100th, 125 anniv), the same did Wenger with Wood edition, Life, Porche and Giant, all these are quoted as examples. They all were stored in special cases, but besides Cantonmesser and Battle set, each knive can be stored and displayed independently.

Now the box becomes a part of the knife. You can't display or store the knife without it as it is part of the design and composition.
This new trend is troubling me, as apparently we collectors now have to think about special box storage and display.
+ 1  :salute:

Victorinox, Wenger, Swiza

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 20, 2018, 08:53:12 PM

Nice!

Today one was sold on eBay:
131 Euro

Next one on eBay for 152 Euro...

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 09:03:22 PM
Oh boy, next Wednesday can’t get here quick enough!

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: September 22, 2018, 11:10:04 AM
After a short research - there are 3 different products:

1. Knife with the coin
2. coin (limited to 30.000 pieces)
3. coin (limited to 5.000 pieces, with box and certificate)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%