Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me Choose a new SAK!

Poll

Which new SAK?

Climber (stayglo scales)
4 (15.4%)
Explorer
9 (34.6%)
Compact
4 (15.4%)
Mountaineer
5 (19.2%)
Others
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Help me Choose a new SAK!
on: September 19, 2018, 05:18:18 AM
Well gang, I've done a lot of hiking and exploring this summer and from.all my experiences I decided I need to re-evaluate my SAK loadout.

Common themes: I use scissors alot, and need something slimmer that feels comfortable to carry. I prefer to belt carry my SAKs as I don't like a ton of pocket clutter, so to that end my new SAK will ride in a Zermatt pouch. I don't really need a saw, I usually carry my Sierra saw on longer hikes. Lastly, I prefer to keep it to 5 layers.

So gurus, voice your opinions, let me know what you think!  :hatsoff:
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Help me Choose a new SAK!
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:39:01 AM
Hercules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline boatman422

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:41:28 AM
Gotta keep advocating the Troubleshooter (Deluxe Tinker + metal saw). 5 layers of a great tool set (including the pliers).

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:57:53 AM
I vote stayglo, but the Explore is a close 2nd.  I might suggest a Wenger Traveler -  They're slim and have scissors and nail file, and awl, which is hard to find around that size. You can find them used for dirt cheap on the bay.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:59:25 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:10 AM
I'd say a Climber. Has all the basics and none of the redundant stuff. You might wanna need a magnifying glass on hikes for to see the thrones that get stuck in your skin etc but IMHO the magnifying glasses -even the glass ones- on SAKs are not that good. A credit-card-sized and -thin magnifying glass would do just fine.

You also don't need a file as far as I can see, so no Mountaineer. Locking SAKs are safe but big and bulky so I'd advise against them. Huntersman was the first model that came to my mind but you say you do not need a saw, so that option is dust. BTW SAK saws are pretty good. I do not know the size of the saw you are carrying but for thesake of reducing weight maybe you wanna ditch that saw and carry a SAK with a saw insteed?  :think:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:27:26 AM
With both Climber and Compact on your list, I´m surprised you left out the PX. Do you really need corkscrew and hook?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 07:32:02 AM
When in doubt I go with the Explorer.  Truth is tho on my hikes I like my Swisschamp. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:41:54 AM
EXPLORER!

I personally like the Camper on hikes, but you say you don't need a saw, and you want scissors. Camper is not on your list anyway...

Mountaineer is great, I have a pretty old one, but why would you need a metal saw and file out in the wild?

The Explorer has the basics, and the scissors you want, with the added benefit of a small mag glass to see splinters or, yes, start fires at noon. Or inspect little bugs. And it is under 5 layers, isn't it?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:55:30 AM by ThundahBeagle »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:46:15 AM
Magnifier is kind of pointless, IMO.  I see better without it.  If you must have a screwdriver, get a Cybertool 34/M.  The pliers make superb giant tweezers too.  Otherwise, Climber/Super Tinker/Pioneer X

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:54:50 AM
Interestingly, and you may have already seen me type this, but I carried only a Super Tinker for like 25 years. Still carry it sometimes, 30 years after buying it. No saw, but for camp firewood, I never really used a saw so much as I gathered fallen sticks and just broke them over my leg if necessary.  For bigger wood, we went right to the hatchet, unless we found enough blowdown.

But today, I much prefer having the saw for my outdoors SAKs and scissors for my indoor SAKs.

Really though, the Huntsman or Fieldmaster - depending where you land on the corkscrew vs Philips debate - have everything you *need*, in case those may be a consideration.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:32:21 AM
Based on your needs - Go really light and slim and go Compact
The openers layer is not too useful in the bush

But for me and these requirements it would be a Huntsman - I like a saw in the bush.

Or if you really like the Explorer/Mag Glass go Woodsman - But this model is retired

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:25:33 PM
Pioneer X. I think it would be the slimmest 3 layer with scissors.   :think:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 02:58:21 AM
I voted Compact.  I'd suggest that you try it in your pocket.  Two layers is comfortable enough for pocket carry.
If you really insist on belt carry then a Climber is a good choice, as is the wonderful Pioneer X.
- Steve

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 03:17:07 AM
To update everyone, this SAK won't just be for hiking, but for EDC as well. Thank you for your opinions, I'll keep this going for a few more days, do some more info gathering and then I will decide.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 04:08:05 AM
Master Craftsman or Ranger depending on Phillips or corkscrew.  The Ranger is probably easier to find and therefore less expensive.  The newer ones have the new metal file and all of the back layers are tooled.  A lot of bang for the buck.  If you can find one, an older Champion (pre-magnifier) is only 6 layers, with the extra layer being the fish scaler.  Bonus is the long nail file on the back.  Luck in your search....... :cheers:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 07:26:33 AM
I voted Compact.  I'd suggest that you try it in your pocket.  Two layers is comfortable enough for pocket carry.
If you really insist on belt carry then a Climber is a good choice, as is the wonderful Pioneer X.

Wow, I just looked it up and yeah, that model does look attractive and suitable for the aforementioned needs! And that thing is thin, too! Plus, the inline awl is just :dd:

I've never been an alox fan but this model is quite intriguing.  :tu:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 09:12:52 PM

Wow, I just looked it up and yeah, that model does look attractive and suitable for the aforementioned needs! And that thing is thin, too! Plus, the inline awl is just :dd:

The Pioneer X has a lot going for it.  It's been my EDC ever since it was introduced.  Just be warned, once you go alox, you'll never go back.
- Steve

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:56 PM

The Pioneer X has a lot going for it.  It's been my EDC ever since it was introduced.  Just be warned, once you go alox, you'll never go back.
I hope not, so many nice knives out there.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:58 PM
What I love about the Farmer and Pioneer X:

Easy to clean!

Open all tools and you'll find NO liners that can junk up stuff or prevent reach with a brush.

Now open up a Climber and check again. You'll see what I mean...

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 09:31:21 PM
What I love about the Farmer and Pioneer X:

Easy to clean!

Open all tools and you'll find NO liners that can junk up stuff or prevent reach with a brush.

Now open up a Climber and check again. You'll see what I mean...
:sa:
What! I never noticed that. Thanks!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 09:31:53 PM
:hatsoff:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 10:57:39 PM
Voted Explorer, carried one for years. Would have said Climber, but Stay Glo?  :think: Nah.  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 11:28:10 PM
To me, the Climber tool set is the foundation upon which all successful Swiss knives are built, and that is what got my vote.

For general carry however, I tend to favour the Wenger Traveller for the smaller frame, and addition of the nail file in place of the redundant second blade. It's the only Swiss knife I keep multiples of, and I have three versions, plus a modded version which adds a Phillips and carabiner.

In fact today's carry was one of them with a Sideclip.

If I'm going out on a walk, and am not going "fully loaded" with tools, the Climber Small is what comes with me. The KF4 comes along too, but is very rarely needed, as the Vic handles all the regular tasks.

IMG_20180920_221539_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20180920_221539_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 41.03 KB)
IMG_20180920_220413_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20180920_220413_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 37.43 KB)
IMG_20180920_221703_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20180920_221703_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 27.75 KB)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:31:07 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 04:48:22 PM
To me, the Climber tool set is the foundation upon which all successful Swiss knives are built, and that is what got my vote.

For general carry however, I tend to favour the Wenger Traveller for the smaller frame, and addition of the nail file in place of the redundant second blade. It's the only Swiss knife I keep multiples of, and I have three versions, plus a modded version which adds a Phillips and carabiner.

(Image removed from quote.)

In fact today's carry was one of them with a Sideclip.

If I'm going out on a walk, and am not going "fully loaded" with tools, the Climber Small is what comes with me. The KF4 comes along too, but is very rarely needed, as the Vic handles all the regular tasks.

Redundant second blade? The more blades the merrier, my friend.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 11:17:21 PM

I don't mind secondary blades if they add something different, such as serrations, or hawkbill pruner. The Original Outdoorsman is one of my favourite 91mm knives for that reason. I've never found much benefit to having two spearpoint blades.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 01:19:23 AM

I don't mind secondary blades if they add something different, such as serrations, or hawkbill pruner. The Original Outdoorsman is one of my favourite 91mm knives for that reason. I've never found much benefit to having two spearpoint blades.
I guess for me if I’m honest it depends on what Else I have. I have always been taught that a pocketknife should have at least two blades, but no more than three. Of course you get away from that with modern oho knives. Its nice to have a backup blade in case one breaks. I also normally have two different edge angles, one for every day, one thin almost like a razor if I can get it that way.

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 02:47:32 AM
Well I did a 180 on my thinking and after doing a trade with another member, I will be getting a Champion. I never use the pliers on my Swisschamp, so I think the Champion will be nice. I still plan on getting a Compact too......

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 07:23:12 AM
Well I did a 180 on my thinking and after doing a trade with another member, I will be getting a Champion. I never use the pliers on my Swisschamp, so I think the Champion will be nice. I still plan on getting a Compact too......

I've got a Champion C Plus. No plyers but everything else. I got it used in OK condition. It cleaned up well and I rescaled it. It lives in the small pocket of my day pack (which I use for work and for day hikes). Great beater knife.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 07:31:06 AM
Champion plus Compact sounds like a good "fully loaded" vs "bare essentials" pair of options to me  :tu:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 07:33:56 AM

I've got a Champion C Plus. No plyers but everything else. I got it used in OK condition. It cleaned up well and I rescaled it. It lives in the small pocket of my day pack (which I use for work and for day hikes). Great beater knife.

If I carried 4+ layered SAKs, a Champion + is what I'd sport
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%