Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Locking blades

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Locking blades
on: September 20, 2018, 09:43:26 PM
I was helping my brother out and as I was getting ready to leave, he says “Look what I found at a yard sale.” A brand new Atlas! I noticed the side button to unlock the main blade and that’s what got me to thinking, how many different locking blade versions are there. I am thinking 3. My OHT has the traditional bar on the inside that you move and swing the blade to close. The side lever like on the Atlas and the 3rd is a lever that sticks up a little on the tool selection. Is there any others? Good points, bad points? Thanks

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: Locking blades
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 10:25:32 PM
There are certainly more than three.

Here's a link that will help.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+111mm
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 10:32:49 PM
There are three different locks on the 111mm series, that´s correct.

The slide lock (with the button on the scale) is the oldest.

A newer generation of 111mm introduced the liner lock. The latest versions of these new knives have a larger unlock area with the text PRESS stamped on it.

Edit:  From the OP I gather that the OHT is the early liner lock. The blade should then have a less round and more oval thumb hole than the current 111mm.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:43:13 PM by Ron Who »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:35:51 PM
Is he asking about the different locking mechanisms or the number of versions of the locking blade models?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:35 PM
Thanks...your link lead to another and I found the information I was after. Which was how many different systems to lock the blade. The sakwiki is saying for Victorinox there is two and for Wenger there is five...wow. Thanks

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 11:30:42 PM
Thanks...your link lead to another and I found the information I was after. Which was how many different systems to lock the blade. The sakwiki is saying for Victorinox there is two and for Wenger there is five...wow. Thanks

You're welcome.

There are two locking mechanisms.The side-lock which I believe,is a modified back-lock.Then there is the liner-lock which may or may not have PRESS stamped into the top of the liner.

As you can see from the link,there are many variations of the 111 series,with either one  or both of these locking mechanisms.The side-lock models appear to have been supplanted with the liner lock.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:46:09 PM
 :cheers:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 12:28:32 AM
I think it depends on how many hairs you want to split.

Off the top of my head:
Vic:
1) slide lock
2) liner lock
3) back lock (hunter pro)
4) slide lock(?) style used on swisstool and spirit

Wenger/Vic Delemont
1) pak lock (I believe that's what the lock on the 85mm line is called)
2) liner lock (shield release used on 120 and 130mm and the titanium line)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:29:55 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 12:51:47 AM
Examples of each (except the 65 mm interlock)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 12:53:23 AM
I’ll never forget one time at the store they were selling the displays and this one lady picks up one knife with a liner lock opens it and can’t close it, so this other guy say here give it to me I’ll close it, so she hands it over and he goes to push the lock, but on the back, :think: then he looks it over and can’t figure it out, so I said here, he hands it over and I closed it one handed and both of them drop their jaws, and I said here, here you go. Both of them go wait, back it up, how did you do that. So I snapped it open quickly and closed it quickly, you mean that? Yeah yeah, how? I hand it to the guy and he looks this knife over and over, he pulls it open then looks it over again and I point at the one little piece (the lock) and said right there, just pinch, and he does, and his face just drops like OMG that is so freaking cool!
   Funny part was the lady’s like dude, I was the one looking at that.. so he hands it over, turns to me and asks if there’s any other knives like that in this collection, and the lady looks at me asking me if I could show her what I showed him, so I do and she’s like oh forget that I’ll cut myself and the guy just snatches it, it was so funny..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 05:06:03 AM
Examples of each (except the 65 mm interlock)(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the photo! Nice set you have there!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 05:06:45 AM
I’ll never forget one time at the store they were selling the displays and this one lady picks up one knife with a liner lock opens it and can’t close it, so this other guy say here give it to me I’ll close it, so she hands it over and he goes to push the lock, but on the back, :think: then he looks it over and can’t figure it out, so I said here, he hands it over and I closed it one handed and both of them drop their jaws, and I said here, here you go. Both of them go wait, back it up, how did you do that. So I snapped it open quickly and closed it quickly, you mean that? Yeah yeah, how? I hand it to the guy and he looks this knife over and over, he pulls it open then looks it over again and I point at the one little piece (the lock) and said right there, just pinch, and he does, and his face just drops like OMG that is so freaking cool!
   Funny part was the lady’s like dude, I was the one looking at that.. so he hands it over, turns to me and asks if there’s any other knives like that in this collection, and the lady looks at me asking me if I could show her what I showed him, so I do and she’s like oh forget that I’ll cut myself and the guy just snatches it, it was so funny..
JR
That’s funny.  :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:37:24 AM
JR
That’s funny.  :rofl:
I fig someone would get a kick out of it, I did, that totally made my day back then!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 05:39:13 AM
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41