Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

spring on my juice pro just broke

gb Offline kingofswords

spring on my juice pro just broke
on: September 13, 2018, 08:48:31 PM
just opened one of the screwdrivers on my juice an it was all floppy and on further investigation realise the spring had snapped in half.
i havent dropped it recently or banged in fact i barely use it .

anyone have any idea why it happened?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: spring on my juice pro just broke
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:40:18 AM
It may have just been a weak spot in the metal :-\ Sorry to hear it :facepalm: can we see pics of it up close :think: may give us an idea of why it happened  :ahhh

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:25:48 PM
dont know if these show much i got it second hand so maybe it was already broken.
rsz_img_20180916_173000.jpg
* rsz_img_20180916_173000.jpg (Filesize: 70.32 KB)
rsz_img_20180916_173006.jpg
* rsz_img_20180916_173006.jpg (Filesize: 86.32 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:04:36 PM
 :oops:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:17:33 PM
Warranty. Give Whitby and Co an email:

http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/warranty

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:09:35 AM
Warranty. Give Whitby and Co an email:

http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/warranty

emailed them but dont imagine that they have juice pro in stock.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 01:19:09 AM
This is a bummer.  I wonder if another spring from a juice would be an option?  You'd have to drill out the pin and then replace it but you'd have your Juice Pro still  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 01:26:30 AM
This is a bummer.  I wonder if another spring from a juice would be an option?  You'd have to drill out the pin and then replace it but you'd have your Juice Pro still  :dunno:

IIRC Eric (Metro) had difficulties rebuilding a Juice in that way due to the strength of the springs. I believe he eventually went for pinning first, then standing the tool upright and coaxing the spring into position afterwards with a universal persuader (big smurfing hammer)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:31:44 AM
This is really a bummer   With no Pros being made and my guess no way for LM to fix it they'll offer a replacement. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 02:36:25 AM

Actually if u can get any trashed up juice for cheap, with some careful persuasion, the spring can be coaxed out without drilling out the pin.

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 08:43:16 PM

Actually if u can get any trashed up juice for cheap, with some careful persuasion, the spring can be coaxed out without drilling out the pin.

:hatsoff:  brilliant thanks so much sam, i didnt realise i presumed they were attached same way as tools.
had a look last night and took the other half of broken bit out and wiggled the spring from the small screwdriver over as i dont use that since i have sak sd in corkscrew..

ordered a sak pen but probably too  thick to fit in space but will good if it does.

whitby replied to email  said i could swap for wave/rebar or skeletool. but i cant carrying any of those.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:44:33 PM by kingofswords »

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 12:13:53 AM
I am in the same dilemma with my juice pro. But it's the corkscrew backspring on mine and I believe that spring is different to the other backsprings in that the pin actually goes through both ends of the spring. So definitely no way to repair without drilling and disassembling.

It would be such a shame to send them in only to get wave or skeletool as a replacement.

I'd be interested to know what leatherman will actually do with broken juices now that they have been discontinued. To think they probably have a pile of broken pro's somewhere just doesn't seem right. 🙈

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 01:13:09 PM
I am in the same dilemma with my juice pro. But it's the corkscrew backspring on mine and I believe that spring is different to the other backsprings in that the pin actually goes through both ends of the spring. So definitely no way to repair without drilling and disassembling.

It would be such a shame to send them in only to get wave or skeletool as a replacement.

I'd be interested to know what leatherman will actually do with broken juices now that they have been discontinued. To think they probably have a pile of broken pro's somewhere just doesn't seem right. 🙈

Try e-mailing them. I think they can advise you better than any of us. Maybe even offer a solution to the problem.

:pok: :pok: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 01:32:19 PM
I've got a more than 50 year old SAK (and might I add, a model that hasn't been made in 40 or more years) currently in repair at Vic's US office in Connecticut. Why can't Leatherman repair, as opposed to replace their retired models? You'd think they would have stockpiled the older, heavily damaged ones for parts (much like I do), but I guess they just got tossed by warranty when it's determined it will need to be replaced with a current model.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:39:07 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 01:43:01 PM

Try e-mailing them. I think they can advise you better than any of us. Maybe even offer a solution to the problem.

:pok: :pok: :salute:

Yes I already have and they said it would be replaced with either wave, rebar, or skeletool.

It's a shame, but you can't grumble really.

gb Offline RicHT

Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 01:46:59 PM
I've got a more than 50 year old SAK (and might I add, a model that hasn't been made in 40 or more years) currently in repair at Vic's US office in Connecticut. Why can't Leatherman repair, as opposed to replace their retired models? You'd think they would have stockpiled the older, heavily damaged ones for parts (much like I do), but I guess they just got tossed by warranty when it's determined it will need to be replaced with a current model.

I think it'll be purely because it's just too labour intensive to repair them due to the pins. The Vic design makes them 'easier' to repair I suppose.

In the UK, as far as I am aware, even on the screw pivots designs, there is no option to repair, only replace.

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 03:19:05 PM
its because whitby and co deal with lm warranty in uk so they have no means to repair(prob no legal right either) so they just send them back to u.s. in bulk.
guess they dont have arrangement to receive fixed items back from them.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 03:19:28 PM

A member popped up on my email to ask regarding how to remove the spring from a LM Juice without drilling out the rivet. Sorry I do not recognize your email name.... Anyway, I would like to post it up here since I am making the video.

Disclaimer.... There's always the risk of snapping the spring bar whether you are careful or not. This is for self repair purpose. Sending to LM for warranty will be the first choice, if that's possible.

Here goes. Let me know if you have other ways. It main idea is to depress the bar beyond the frame so you can tap it out.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 03:27:51 PM
 :like: :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 03:42:09 PM
+1 :like:

Thanks again Sam for the helpful tips... On another note, never realized there was a Red Juice S2...

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 04:07:10 PM
+1 :like:

Thanks again Sam for the helpful tips... On another note, never realized there was a Red Juice S2...

:hatsoff:  I realised it was NetsNJ that emailed me..  :D :D  Yes.. These are the OG juices.. There's red, blue, grey also. And a camo scale that is probably not obtainable anywhere..

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 04:11:30 PM
I shared the link to yourvid on NetsNJ’s thread...

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 09:38:58 PM
A member popped up on my email to ask regarding how to remove the spring from a LM Juice without drilling out the rivet. Sorry I do not recognize your email name.... Anyway, I would like to post it up here since I am making the video.

Disclaimer.... There's always the risk of snapping the spring bar whether you are careful or not. This is for self repair purpose. Sending to LM for warranty will be the first choice, if that's possible.

Here goes. Let me know if you have other ways. It main idea is to depress the bar beyond the frame so you can tap it out.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 03:46:16 AM
Awesome video, Sam :o Thanks for making it and great job on figuring that out :like: :like:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 04:39:45 AM
Wow THANK YOU SAM!!!
I've been buying cheap KF4s on the 'bay and two of them have broken springs, which annoyed me, but not enough to send back for refund. Really glad I can fix them without drilling. You rock :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 10:26:15 PM
Wow THANK YOU SAM!!!
I've been buying cheap KF4s on the 'bay and two of them have broken springs, which annoyed me, but not enough to send back for refund. Really glad I can fix them without drilling. You rock :cheers:

:cheers: these older juices are definitely worth saving! Glad to have helped!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%