Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watch Collection.

Chako · 603 · 20774

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Watch Collection.
Reply #180 on: January 27, 2019, 07:24:04 PM
Thanks.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #181 on: February 01, 2019, 01:08:51 AM
I do not think I have mentioned this one...it is a rather nice looking ABC watch from Skmei. This is the model 1418. What drew me to the watch was the simple stainless steel bezel.

There are a few things I like about this watch, and a few things I do not like so much. Wish they made this with a positive LCD as opposed to the negative one seen here. Also, the small weather symbols are way too small for my eyes to discern easily. On the plus side, There is the built in altimeter, barometer, and compass, as well as steps calculated. I also love the silicon band which is super comfortable. The downside, the band is a hair magnet...and if you live with a cat...you get the idea. Overall, a very nice watch.

Next up, just bought a few hours ago. a Rocawear RM4002.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #182 on: February 01, 2019, 02:29:47 AM
Quite an interesting watch, that Rocawear, Chako! :like:

Those silicone and soft rubber bands are some of my favorites since I began wearing Swatch time pieces.  :)
The ABC looks to be a well made watch and, even with the plethora of features, would make a good digital dress watch. :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #183 on: February 01, 2019, 03:00:19 AM
Chako--perhaps Mastermyne  has operations in Ontario? I know several mines here in the SWVA region where I live are owned by overseas companies. There was a guy locally on eBay dealing in mining collectibles, and he had several buckles for a coal firm in AU. How those got over here is beyond me too.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #184 on: February 01, 2019, 03:57:16 AM
cody6268, that is always a possibility. I could not find anything online, but that means nothing.

Gerleatherberman...agreed.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #185 on: February 03, 2019, 01:30:34 AM
Newest watch...a Fossil Grant.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #186 on: February 03, 2019, 04:16:23 AM
The crown and pusher arrangement on that Fossil is perfect. :o :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #187 on: February 03, 2019, 12:57:17 PM
Nice watch Chako  :tu: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #188 on: February 03, 2019, 02:36:02 PM
Thanks.

I just bought another 24 watch case. I thought I was going to stop at 3...but I keep finding watches locally. I think I am doomed.  :think:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #189 on: February 03, 2019, 03:28:37 PM
I think you are doomed Chako >:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #190 on: February 03, 2019, 04:36:33 PM
Yeah, Chako, you're screwed. The watch bug is a hard one to step away from.  :ahhh :like:

Looking forward to seeing which watches you acquire to fill up the next box. :popcorn:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #191 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:34 AM
Agreed. Today, there was proof...but before I get to that...first an update on that Fossil Grant...

I wore it today and found an issue I have never encountered before. The lugs on this watch are wickedly dangerous. I didn't notice this at first but when the watch moved on my wrist, I could feel some pain. Upon closer inspection, the underneath of the lugs are razor sharp. I mean like taking my skin off sharp. I took the watch off and examined it closely and I could spot a bit of blood on one of the lugs. I looked at my wrist and sure enough, I had cut myself under one of the lugs. The other 3 did its job of taking skin but hadn't done enough damage to draw blood.

This is a weird one. I got the watch on a clearance sale...all sales final. Thinking I will bring it to a jeweler to buff and shave the under-lugs so that it isn't so dangerous.

I am shocked that Fossil didn't round them sharp edges off. Not only is it razor sharp, but there is an edge point that also digs into the wrist (that is also sharp). The watch is beautiful...but I cannot recommend this this Fossil Grant model to anyone unless you have a plan of dulling them edges.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:16:16 AM by Chako »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #192 on: February 04, 2019, 12:17:43 AM
That looks very sharp indeed hopefully you can get it sorted  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #193 on: February 04, 2019, 12:31:55 AM
Now unto the second part...I made the mistake of walking into Atmosphere. I rarely go in here probably because whenever I am in the Station Mall, you have to walk through Sport Check to get to this outdoor store. It is a bit off the beaten track. Anyhow, they had two Suunto watches on sale...I believe because the models are no longer in production.  Now I had always wanted a Suunto. Back in 2009 when I was looking for an ABC watch, I gave Suunto some serious considerations. However, at that time, the only local place that sold them was a small diving shop and the prices where $$$. I ended up going online and buying a Casio Pathfinder PAW1500, and a Timex WS4. At the time, I thought that if these two watched didn't scratch the need, I would give Suunto another look. I was more than happy with both watches, and thus the Suunto was never purchased. Anyhow, today, I now have my first Suunto..and to my surprise, it isn't an ABC watch, but a sports watch model Suunto Quest. The sale was so great that I got the girlfriend one as well, a Suunto M2.

Both watches came with dead batteries. I talked to the store staff and she informed me it took CR2032 batteries and that they were easy to replace. Seeing that I had them already at the home, and the price was very handsome, the no operation at purchase wasn't much of a concern.

Pop the back off and replace the batteries and voila...a functional M2.

The Suunto M2 comes with a harness and the heart rate monitor. I found that this also took an extra CR2032 battery.

Yeah, she will be happy with this one.

The Suunto Quest they had was the orange version...once again with dead batteries.

And with a very quick and painless battery surgery.

Much like the M2, this one also comes with a harness/belt and heart rate monitor. This one did come with a Suunto Movestick Mini USB drive. I haven't played with that yet.

I am quite happy with orange...I do not have many orange accented watches.

The Quest and the M2 together.

Yes I am doomed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:38:04 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #194 on: February 04, 2019, 12:39:09 AM
Wspeed, I think a little TLC with a grinding/buffing wheel will make the watch wearable. I went back today to see the other 3 watches that the store had...and they all have the same razor sharp under-lugs.  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #195 on: February 04, 2019, 02:48:46 AM
There is usually a reason stuff goes on clearance. There are exemptions of course, but I've always found issues with normally good stuff being sold for way less than sale retail. :ahhh

The Suuntos look interesting.  :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #196 on: February 04, 2019, 07:15:11 AM
Yes, that can be the case. I just found out earlier today that they store chain is going under.  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #197 on: February 04, 2019, 07:18:46 AM
Very sad when our local gear sources dry up. Then we have to wait days for our goodies to get to us. :(

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #198 on: February 08, 2019, 01:02:07 AM
Latest watch...a Bobo Bird automatic.

Comes in a very nice wooden laser etched presentation case.

Inside, a not that bad bracelet pin remover with 3 extra pins, the watch, and the manual.

The watch is a rather nice wooden affair. The wood is very comfortable and light. It does not freeze the arm like metal bracelets tend to do until the body warms them up.

:salute:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:03:29 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #199 on: February 09, 2019, 05:55:12 PM
Update on that automatic wooden watch above. When I got it in... I found that the watch would stop whenever I pushed the crown down. The minute hand would start when I was setting the time. I then gave the crown about 20 turns and that got the watch to run. Then I took it to work and noticed the watch stopped an hour back bases on the time shown. I gave the watch another 20 crown turns and now everything is working good. I took the watch off last night and went to bed fully expecting the watch to be dead when I woke up. The watch is now working fine as it hummed all night long without fail. I guess the spring really needed winding.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:27:31 PM by Chako »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #200 on: February 09, 2019, 06:03:40 PM
Nice one Chako  :tu: :like:
I thought you were going to say that it was broken  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #201 on: February 09, 2019, 07:30:34 PM
It was a close thing. Very happy it is now working good.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #202 on: February 09, 2019, 09:11:59 PM
Excellent  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #203 on: February 10, 2019, 07:49:11 AM
Very nice, Chako! :like:
Love how light weight wood watches are. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #204 on: February 10, 2019, 09:15:00 AM
Not to mention how warm and comfortable they are.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #205 on: February 10, 2019, 10:11:00 AM
Very true.  :iagree:

My only gripe is that the one I had, made of saddle wood, developed a split in the wood case. I filled it with glue and filler, then stained it to match, but shrinking and expansion would be considerations if I were to buy another wood watch.

In the watch's defense(from the Canadian Tense Watch Co.), I had several years before any issues. And the crack formed after I left it in the windowsill of my apartment in NY during winter. It has been fine since I moved back to the SouthEast.

Edit: I still have it, so please ignore the past tense of 'had'.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:13:18 AM by gerleatherberman »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #206 on: February 12, 2019, 12:42:16 AM
Ouch. I will take note to never leave mine on a hot/cold windowsill for storage.  :tu:

Just got in 3 watches today from the friendly post office folks.

First up is a rather unusual TVG remote control watch. I already ticked off the girlfriend with this one. I was playing with it and pressed the power button...which turned her TV off. She wasn't impressed...and I didn't even set one of the codes found on the back of the instruction sheet based on the various manufacturers. Cool!

This one is a bit complicated. Depending upon the mode you are in, the 6 buttons have different functions. Thankfully, the little icons for each button does show the way in the various modes. From what I understand, I can control TVs, DVD players, Satellite stuff, etc.

I had to promise I wasn't going to play with the watch at her house in the future.  :D

Next up are two more Shark Sport Watches.

First up is the Greenland Shark II watch which features 3 rotating disks, one for the date, the day, and seconds. There is also a weird 24 hour marker located at the 12 o'clock position.

Second is the Goblin Shark II watch which features a hidden red LED which tells the time and date on the press of the yellow button. It is a hard watch to get a good photo of as the colours are very muted and dark...which makes reading the time and date via the Back LEDs all the more visible.

Slowly growing the watch collection. I am really digging these Shark Sport watches.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:36:19 AM by Chako »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #207 on: February 12, 2019, 05:34:10 AM
Those Sharks are some good looking watches. :like:
The 24H@12 is pretty cool. More of an aesthetic thing for most people I'd imagine.

The TVG looks like girlfriend repellant for sure(I like it, but it is a bit nerdy to be honest. Cool like a calculator watch. IMO). Careful with that one and her television. :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #208 on: February 12, 2019, 08:13:43 PM
Nerdy is good. I can see myself getting into plenty of mischief with this watch. Going to a friends house and turning on/off his TV, Sat box, ect. If you do it on the down low...probably could get away with it.  >:D

:rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #209 on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:58 PM
Who's gonna know? I didn't even know there was such a thing as an infrared remote transmitter in a wrist watch until your post. :ahhh

I used to cause some mischief in high school with my Compaq iPAQ and a remote program.  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%