Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watch Collection.

Chako · 603 · 20944

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Watch Collection.
Reply #270 on: March 20, 2019, 12:32:48 AM
Sorry to hear about that ridiculous behavior on DHL's part, Chako!

That is good, that of all the watches you possess, the Tevise is the only one she has confiscated so far.  :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #271 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:36 AM
Yes...I was not going to argue with her.  :D

Just pulled the trigger on a Vostok Amphibia watch.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #272 on: March 20, 2019, 06:52:25 AM
Very cool. You know I'm a fan of the Amphibia.  :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #273 on: March 20, 2019, 12:45:43 PM
Took apart that ball bearing watch. Those watch tools already paid for itself. After looking around inside...I found out the issue, and the fix was easy enough. There is a clear plastic disk with a rare earth magnet glued to edge. The disk has a metal pin that fits onto the center of the hour disk. In transportation, the magnet disk came off the center column. I just added preasure and now the two movements work together. The minute ball bearing resides in a seperate track above the two discs. The watch appears to be working now and hopefully will do so in the future. I did order another watch from the same seller to see if that one will be better. Time will tell.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #274 on: March 21, 2019, 02:50:50 AM
Yes...I was not going to argue with her.  :D

Just pulled the trigger on a Vostok Amphibia watch.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Been considering getting a Vostok, since I'm wanting to try a mechanical, and the Vostok seems to be the most cost-effective option. I've still got to get my great-granddad's old pocket watches fixed. Probably they just need cleaning, oiling and a spring. But, my great granddad enjoyed watch repair (and he was professionally trained) as a hobby (and I've got all his old tools) and these two very well may have been parts watches, seeing as how they were in the same box as the tools.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #275 on: March 21, 2019, 03:49:05 AM
Took apart that ball bearing watch. Those watch tools already paid for itself. After looking around inside...I found out the issue, and the fix was easy enough. There is a clear plastic disk with a rare earth magnet glued to edge. The disk has a metal pin that fits onto the center of the hour disk. In transportation, the magnet disk came off the center column. I just added preasure and now the two movements work together. The minute ball bearing resides in a seperate track above the two discs. The watch appears to be working now and hopefully will do so in the future. I did order another watch from the same seller to see if that one will be better. Time will tell.
Excellent work, Chako!  :tu:

That feeling of getting a malfunctioning watch working properly again.... :woohoo:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #276 on: March 23, 2019, 12:59:05 AM
Yes...it does feel very good.

Just came in...a Vostok Amphibia.

Funny story. I only found Russian instructions at first. I thought to self...no problem. I can do this with Google Translate. I mean...all my Syrian students use it. I downloaded the application and took my photos and watched it work on the Russian to English translation. After doing this and reading up on why I couldn't change the date using the half crown position...did I find out I would have to rotate those cute little hands 44 times to reach 22!  :facepalm:

After all of that fun...I found the English instructions. That warrants a  :facepalm:  :facepalm:   :rofl:

I just had to get one after reading a few articles on the real Russian Diver.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vostok-amphibia

https://kaminskyblog.com/2017/05/29/vostok-amphibia-150-amphibia-history-review/

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #277 on: March 23, 2019, 02:41:57 AM
Very nice, Chako! :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #278 on: March 23, 2019, 07:09:04 AM
I have a sinking feeling this will not be my last.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #279 on: March 23, 2019, 12:25:37 PM
Nice watch Chako  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #280 on: April 02, 2019, 06:08:01 AM
Got a few more watches streaming to my door.

I have a black ball bearing watch that I ordered after receiving a broken silver ball bearing watch (which I was able to fix afterwards).

I ordered two weird Oulm watches that had quite a few positive reviews on Amazon. They are also dirt cheap. I am curious to see the quality, if any, these watches have.

I also have 2 more blingy watches...a red and a black one on order. I have one of those gaudy crystal encrusted watches from Techno King that is blinding in the right light. The watch is flashy, and I am very surprised I like wearing it so much. Time to expand on my Liberacy aspect.

Also on tap is a super cheap Verizon Wear24 smart watch. For 60 something dollars, I could not resist. I guess this was a not that popular watch back in 2017 due to it's super high price attached to a 2 year contract. Verizon ditched this watch after only 4 months...meaning you can find this watch for deep discounts. For that price...it will be fun to just play with it.

I also got in contact with the sellers of that automatic watch that I sent back because DHL wanted almost the price of the watch in brokerage fee. They are going to send me another one using China post. Time will tell if this will work out.

Got 2 Tevise automatics..a black and green one. I lost the blue one to the better half a while ago. The green is for her...but the black is for me. I bought two mesh bracelets...a black and stainless one. The black mesh should go well with that black automatic. That is the plan at least for now.

I also have a watch adaptor for a Leatherman Tread...which is good as I have a spare Tread and a possible watch for it. I recently had a silicon watch strap on my Sketcher tear at the lug pin due to lack of material at that stress point. Either it goes on the Tread or I use the extra stainless mesh bracelet to replace that overly cheap silicon bracelet.

Whew...got me some gear incoming hopefully this month. I believe that is 9 watches total.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 06:26:48 AM by Chako »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #281 on: April 02, 2019, 06:53:36 PM
Oh yeah. :woohoo:

Looking forward to seeing those watches, Chako! :popcorn:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #282 on: April 02, 2019, 06:56:40 PM
+1 :popcorn: :popcorn:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #283 on: April 03, 2019, 02:37:39 AM
Got the second ball bearing watch in today. Same issue. Going to open it up soon to repair it. As it stands, I wouldn't recommend these unless you are ok with opening up the watch to repair it.

Also got the Verizon Wear24 smart watch in today as well. Charging it up as I type this. Expect more on this watch at a later date.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #284 on: April 06, 2019, 02:07:54 PM
Really loving that Verizon Wear24 watch. There are a few things I like over my other smart watch.

The biggest thing...I can always have the time shown on the watch face, but in a mute ghosted version much like my cell phone. No more having to press a button, or do a wrist gesture move to read the time. On my Kingwear KW88 Pro, that was my biggest pet peeve.

This is one difficult watch to take a good photo without glare. Here is a not that sharp photo because I had to turn off my flash in order to capture the bright mode that comes alive after a tap on the watch face. I have noticed the muted screen does get washed out in bright sunlight. Tapping the watch fixes that for a second or two.

Each complication or sub-dial is completely changeable by the user. Looks like I still may have a few files to download or update.

A last photo showing the watch in bright mode with on camera flash. This was the best I could do this morning.

Yes...so what are my thoughts on this watch...

Pros:
- Great battery life. I can get 2 days from one charge.
- Handy watch cradle that acts as a charging device. No more plugging the watch into a USB cable.
- Many watch faces...with plenty of sub options to show the data you want to have quick access to.
- Simplified menus that make navigation easier overall.
- Watch weight and size. It is only 42mm but the weight is very nice.
- Guess if you are with Verizon, you can use the watch as a phone without adding a sim card.
- Price...a steal of a deal off of Amazon.

Cons:
- Watch band is a dust magnet.
- A few Verizon only apps that cannot be deleted. I find it easy to ignore those.

Very happy with this one...so much so that I bought a second rose coloured one as well. For 59 Canadian off of Amazon...if you are looking for a smart watch...this is a good way to dip your toe if you will, into the smart watch market.  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:14:23 PM by Chako »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #285 on: April 06, 2019, 02:23:21 PM
Cool watch Chako  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #286 on: April 07, 2019, 01:44:06 AM
Thanks.

I just remembered that I had bought a watch face off of Google Play back in 2017 thinking it was to change the clock setting on my cell phone. The app is called Ultimate Watch 2. I am happy to report I can now use it as its intended purpose. I am really digging this app. You can control everything, including making your own watch faces with various complications added, etc...

Here is one of the many included watch faces that are already assembled to go. You have control over everything. How many complications, what goes into those complications, the type of face, the colour, etc...

For the curious...a link to the application info.

http://www.stefanowatches.com/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:00:52 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #287 on: April 09, 2019, 12:38:07 AM
I should have 3 more watches tomorrow. Both Techno King Soul of Stone Black and Ruby World watches as well as the rose coloured Verizon Wear24 watch are expected for delivery tomorrow.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #288 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:18 PM
They arrived on time.

My old Liberace on the far left with its two new cousins. The middle is a Soul of Stone Black Rock, and the far right is a Soul of Stone Ruby World...at least that is what the manufacturer named them.

The first watch I bought as a lark...never imagining i would be caught dead wearing it. However, plenty of the students keep asking me to wear this one. In the right light, it screams with all of its zircons.

The Black Rock will scream even louder. I shone a flashlight on it and because of the black background...this thing will blind. Ah well. this is one showy piece.

Much like the time piece I call the Liberace, this one has Zircons all the way around the wrist band.

The Ruby World isn't as flashy as the others...but will sparkle nicely in the right lighting. I love red, and this might just be my favorite of the lot...only time will tell.

The bracelet is only partially covered with the red stones.

That is enough for the bling crowd. Next up is my other Verizon Wear24 watch. I liked the first so much and for the price, I just had to have another one. This one is colored rose.

Going to wear one of the new bling watches to work today.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #289 on: April 10, 2019, 12:55:40 PM
Nice ones for your collection Chako  :cheers: :like:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #290 on: April 10, 2019, 06:02:29 PM
R U planning a rap career switch with all that bling?  :popcorn:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #291 on: April 10, 2019, 11:26:40 PM
I have no rap talent...but on the other hand...I could look the part somewhat.   :rofl:

I wore the red one today. Rather mute indoors...but let the sun hit hit any..OMG!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:32:20 PM by Chako »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #292 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:07 AM
I have no rap talent...but on the other hand...I could look the part somewhat.   :rofl:

I wore the red one today. Rather mute indoors...but let the sun hit hit any..OMG!

Coincidentally some space telescopes picked up strange red light today?
@blackdiamonds_42

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #293 on: April 11, 2019, 12:30:35 AM
 :rofl:

I can see the similarities...

Bonus photo of the gaudy crew.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #294 on: April 11, 2019, 12:38:14 AM
:rofl:

I can see the similarities...

Bonus photo of the gaudy crew.

That's Monday, Thursday, and Sunday covered.
@blackdiamonds_42

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #295 on: April 11, 2019, 12:40:54 AM
Going to wear the black one tomorrow.  >:D

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #296 on: April 11, 2019, 12:48:21 AM

:cheers:
@blackdiamonds_42

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #297 on: April 14, 2019, 10:16:24 AM
Coincidentally some space telescopes picked up strange red light today?
(Image removed from quote.)
*Mind blown* :o

That watch does appear to be capable of inducing quantum fluctuations. :ahhh

I always say, if someone has the confidence to rock what they like, even though it is not the norm, hats off to them. And to you, Chako. :hatsoff:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #298 on: April 14, 2019, 01:29:34 PM
Thanks.

I wore the black sparkly watch on Thursday. That one got a lot of attention from my students. Some hilarious conversations ensued.  :rofl:

With that said, I think that is enough of the overly sparkly bits for my collection.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #299 on: April 14, 2019, 02:21:49 PM
That is quite cool! :like:
During my time in public schools, I always appreciated educators that would interact with the students like that. The sparkly watches definitely were a good idea. :)

Some of the former educators stay in contact, which is awesome. Too bad I don't remember much education-wise. :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%