Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the OHT

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Thoughts on the OHT
on: September 16, 2018, 01:53:42 AM
I've been looking at getting one, I like my Center Drive, but I want all outside easy to open tools, the OHT fits the bill. My only concerns are, do all the jaws not line up at the point? Other than that, people who do own one, what say you? Thanks all!
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Thoughts on the OHT
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:07:41 AM
All tools are outside accessible, and pliers flick out easily if you remember to unlock.

Yet to fit the tools properly, the knife and saw are shorter than standard, and not practical in my humble opinion.

The plier jaws do not come together when closed, only at the tip, and will not hold a piece of paper well if not grabbed at the tip.

I bought mine at a clearance price, would not have bought at the standard price of $70 plus.

Just my .02$
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 02:23:45 AM
Can the tips be ground down so they meet?

I have an OHT and really like it even though I rarely carry it.

I do use it around the house here and there though.

I have thought about those tips but since it has never hindered me, I’ve not done anything about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Thoughts on the OHT
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:17:02 PM
I don’t t want to bash on the OHT, but I too bought one because of the one handed everything and outside accessibility, but know this; the OHT is huge and and the tools in it are tiny.

When I say “tiny” I mean, the saw is a total joke that they even included, all it can cut are small branches the thickness of your fingers.

Also the cutting hook thingy is really not that great either, I mean it does the job, but it’s nothing that the knife can’t do just as well if not better.

With that said though, the knives are small ...BUT! ...I didn’t find any problems with their shorter length.

The spring loaded pliers are a nice feature as well, but as you mentioned the jaws on the pliers doesn’t line up at all (this doesn’t affect their functionality though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:19:04 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:41:53 PM
Seems like none of them will line up..  :D neither do mine. In use, it doesnt affect anything so far. But if u are the OCD type, stay away from this type of pliers. It's a longish tool when the pliers are extended and there is very little handle splay, which is a plus. In the world of LM pliers, this is one of the more comfy and ergonomic around.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:47:31 PM by Sam Lim »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 02:05:54 PM
- I like the size, fits my hand nicely.
- The only tool that I feel suffers from being too short is the saw, the short knives aren't a problem for me.
- The plier tips on mine line up most of the time but can be pushed so that they don't align... doesn't bother me.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:30:48 PM
Seems like none of them will line up..  :D neither do mine. In use, it doesnt affect anything so far. But if u are the OCD type, stay away from this type of pliers. It's a longish tool when the pliers are extended and there is very little handle splay, which is a plus. In the world of LM pliers, this is one of the more comfy and ergonomic around.
The ones on my OHT line up perfectly ...

And like Syncop8r said, the only tool that suffers from being short is the saw, and not to a point that it's unusable.  A longer saw is always easier, but if this was so important the Wenger/Victorinox Rangers would beat almost every other multitool/pocketknife out there.

For example, the standard saw on the Surge is also quite small compared to its size and weight, yet no one seems to mind.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 03:39:05 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:24 PM
I liked mine well enough.  I carried it to work when I first got it.  I do like the slide out pliers and mine also dont align.  The tools are small but none are unusable.  I think the size and width of the tool had us all thinking the tools would be bigger.  The spring loaded pliers are a nice feature.  Here are some pictures of the tools compared to the PST and the saw as compared to the Spirit saw. 
IMG_5823.jpg
* IMG_5823.jpg (Filesize: 164.54 KB)
IMG_5824.jpg
* IMG_5824.jpg (Filesize: 174.26 KB)
IMG_5826.jpg
* IMG_5826.jpg (Filesize: 166.26 KB)
IMG_5827.jpg
* IMG_5827.jpg (Filesize: 186.49 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:16:26 PM
Thanks for all the input, after further consideration, I think I might try to find a good deal on a Wave or a Core since I've been collecting the Zytel handle variants.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

Offline aikon2014

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 06:35:12 PM
I bought one two years ago (or was it last year?) and returned it because there were side to side play in the pliers. My OCD goes crazy about stuff like that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:57:40 PM by aikon2014 »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 10:31:51 PM
I have heard some people say they are heavy. For their size, they are not heavy. They are quite light compared to a Surge. (isn't everything? ;-) )

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 12:45:49 AM
I haven't owned one, but have handled one. Personally, I'd rather have a Gerber MP400, MP600 or Diesel. While only the pliers are one hand opening on the Gerbers, I find them less cumbersome when using the pliers, and the toolset is both better suited to my preferences, and more easily modified if tweaks will make it even better suited to your needs.

Aside from the plier tip alignment (which might not be an issue for some users), I'm not familiar with any other known quality issues on this tool. It's mainly the ergonomics and limited (for me) toolset that I find offputting about it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:20 AM
Also, for this kind of design where the reach for the drivers are rather limited as compared to butterfly opening styles. The 2D Philips is the most disappointing and cheapish I have seen on a leatherman to date even though I may not have used it much.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%