Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New AXEM 4.0 from Steel Life

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New AXEM 4.0 from Steel Life
on: September 18, 2018, 02:52:00 PM
Some time ago I was contacted by a multitool manufacturer in Italy that was looking for better coverage in North America.  They were a company called Steel Life and they had just released a new flagship tool they called the AXEM 4.0. 

You can see the AXEM 4.0 here:

https://youtu.be/RPG3eSBQV8s

In short, it is a survival card that boasts 20 different features, including:

Box Opener
Wire Stripper
Flathead Screwdriver
Survival Axe
Oxygen Wrench
Saw
Can Opener
Set of Wrenches
Spear Tip
Bottle Opener
Rope Cutter
Eyelet Screws
Double Bit Driver

What can I say?  I was intrigued, especially as we don't see a lot of Italian multitools out there, and so I agreed to handle North American distribution for them through the Multitool.org Store, at least initially.

I have yet to review the product, so I can't say much about it other than I am honored to help a company try and get a foothold in the lucrative NA market, and while I wonder how tough this tool is (an axe?  Really?  I am looking forward to testing that!) I recall how many people and companies contributed to making a little website known as Multitool.org into something notable, and it seems like it would be rude of me not to give something back to the industry, especially when I receive a message like this one:

I'm Vincenzo Mancinelli and I'm the CEO of the Steel Life company that own the Axem4.0 - Machine for Survival trademark.  I've visionated your portal http://www.multitool.org/ and I'm really impressed about the great community you created.

(It) Is a landmark for all those that are passionate about the multitools. I like it!

Since Vincenzo asked so nicely, I have decided to give them as much help as we can to get off the ground- to help launch this new product, I am offering a 15% pre-order discount on the first AXEM 4.0 Survival Tools that are sold through The Multitool.org Store when you use the code MTOAXEM.  This offer is valid through to the end of September, and is a Multitool.org Store exclusive price!

Let’s all make sure we give the fine folks at Steel Life a warm Multitool.org welcome, and let’s do our part to help get them noticed!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: New AXEM 4.0 from Steel Life
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:09:20 PM
All I can say is it puts that pile of garbage "credit card tool" with a roughly similar load out you'll find in a dollar store or bookstore's gift section to shame. Seems every thing on this is actually usable, although as usual, the wrenches are in a weird place

What's the size--credit card, or bigger?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 03:20:51 PM
That is my understanding.  I will have more info when they arrive.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:04:29 PM
How much those cost estimate and whats shipping costs to Finland?

Only Tools Matters

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:14:23 PM
How much those cost estimate and whats shipping costs to Finland?

Only Tools Matters

They are 34 Euros (roughly) and minus 15% is 5.10 so you'd be looking at 28.90 Euros and just over 7 euros for shipping to Finland.

Subject to change due to various currency conversion factors of course.  :D  I used XE.com for the exchange between Euros and Canadian Loonies, but I know Paypal uses their own conversion.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:18:49 PM
All I can say is it puts that pile of garbage "credit card tool" with a roughly similar load out you'll find in a dollar store or bookstore's gift section to shame. Seems every thing on this is actually usable, although as usual, the wrenches are in a weird place

What's the size--credit card, or bigger?

I have received a response regarding this from Steel Life:

You can answer that our multitool is 2,5mm of thickenss. This is a really important point. The similiar multitools that you can find right now on the market, first of all haven't all that functionalities, and most important is that they are only 0,7mm of thickenss. This different of thickenss makes our multitool much more robust and suitable for the functionality which it was engineered for. Other is the kind of steel we used. We've chosen the most suitable kind of steel for a tool like that. The final satin finish serves to make it less vulnerable to scratches.

SPECIFICATIONS
Length: 103 mm
Width: 75 mm
Thickness: 2,5 mm
Tool weight: 110g

Bits included: PH2
Steel used: stainless
Construction: stainless steel worked with laser cutting and CNC machines
Finish: satin steel

For those metrically challenged, that's a smidge over 4 inches long, a smidge under three inches wide and just over an eighth of an inch thick.  So, a little bigger than a standard credit card size, which is good because you'll want a bit more heft if you use it as an axe.

Def

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:07:56 PM
First, an MTO welcome to a new (to NA) vendor.  I wish you good luck in your new market.

Second, a little nit picking.  That 2.5mm thickness is a hair under 3/32".  For those that are both metric and dimensionally challenged, that's between 1/16" and 1/8".

I have never found a credit card size tool that really fit in a wallet, and this one isn't close to fitting into a credit card slot.  At best you might sandwich it in a bifold wallet, but it likely will shift around, and there are sharp corners and edges everywhere on one of these tools.  I'm not sure why you would choose the CC format and then not keep to the industry size.  Weight wise this comes in-between a Farmer and a Trekker both excellent EDC (although neither will fit in a wallet either).
- Steve

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:17 PM
Second, a little nit picking.  That 2.5mm thickness is a hair under 3/32".  For those that are both metric and dimensionally challenged, that's between 1/16" and 1/8".

I see your nitpick and will offer a nitpick to your nitpick: 2.5mm is thicker than 3/32", as 3/32 is equal to 2.38mm. I mention that to not further confuse those who are already dimensionally challenged enough.. :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 10:56:24 PM
'Ain't Imperial units fun?  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 11:53:57 PM
No. And there's a fraction too many of them for my liking.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 12:01:23 AM
I can see how you might be able to use this tool as a (really) small light duty axe with an appropriate handle. :think:

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 12:07:55 AM
Not my personal choice of tool style (I tend to go for more of the multifunction knife and pliers tool type carry), but this seems a lot more practical than many other credit card sized offerings. In this format, I think the 2.5mm thickness will add a lot more durability and usability than the typical 1mm thick "survival tools" out there. There seems to have been some thought gone into this, and nobody has mentioned yet...

... Pozidriv  :ahhh :ahhh

A multitool manufacturer has recognised that more than one type of crosshead screw exists  :woohoo: :clap:

I look forward to seeing someone put one of these through its paces.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 12:10:08 AM
I can see how you might be able to use this tool as a (really) small light duty axe with an appropriate handle. :think:

... and they give you the means of acquiring that handle too. This isn't the first "pocket axe head" tool that's emerged, but the others tend to overlook the issue of where the handle is going to come from.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 02:10:04 AM

I see your nitpick and will offer a nitpick to your nitpick: 2.5mm is thicker than 3/32", as 3/32 is equal to 2.38mm. I mention that to not further confuse those who are already dimensionally challenged enough.. :cheers:
He who lives by the nitpick, dies by the nitpick. :oops:   2.5mm is indeed a hair thicker than 3/32".
- Steve

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 02:10:30 AM
:twak:
- Steve

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 02:14:29 AM
:twak:
:pommel:  :D

You will find that sentiment is a denominator of many metric-based countries.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:21:50 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 02:44:40 AM

Def

Firstly, welcome Vincenzo and more power to you. This looks like a robust and thoughtful entry into the flat card multitool world.

Def, if you will permit me, chief...

If I am understanding this right, you've not yet had a chance to get your hands one one of these tools (unless you do have one but just havent actually reviewed one...?) and they are not yet in stock?

Do you anticipate that they will be in stock and properly reviewed before the September deal ends?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 05:17:29 AM
He who lives by the nitpick, dies by the nitpick. :oops:   2.5mm is indeed a hair thicker than 3/32".

I was just kind of happy to see that for once it wasn't me :cheers: A nitpick actually sounds like a historical tool of some kind? A tiny tweezer? Jewelers tool? Some kind of pick maybe? :facepalm:

... Pozidriv  :ahhh :ahhh

A multitool manufacturer has recognised that more than one type of crosshead screw exists  :woohoo: :clap:

Just looking at the renders/ pictures both ends of that bit seems to be PH2 though? (Typically making a pozidrive head takes twice as many cuts or a form tool. Either way that process leaves both parallell flanks and the typical telltale tapered edges in between the main flanks. I can't see neither on either end?)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:26:52 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 05:25:51 AM
I think the 2.5mm thickness will add a lot more durability and usability than the typical 1mm thick "survival tools" out there.

+1

Totally agree with that.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 05:35:59 AM
Im thinking that this might be expensives scraper i ever gonna buy. I might first wanna see review and actual user video before buying this.
Idea is good but those sharp edges allaround and size of it might be one of those factors it might not get popular

Only Tools Matters

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 12:18:14 PM

Def

Firstly, welcome Vincenzo and more power to you. This looks like a robust and thoughtful entry into the flat card multitool world.

If I am understanding this right, you've not yet had a chance to get your hands one one of these tools (unless you do have one but just havent actually reviewed one...?) and they are not yet in stock?

Do you anticipate that they will be in stock and properly reviewed before the September deal ends?

Permit you?

You have been around long enough to know I encourage you rather than permit you!  :D

Full disclosure... I do not have one of these yet, and I have not handled or tested it.  I have an initial order in with them, bought and paid for and should be shipped to me any time now.  I may have them in hand/stock prior to the end of September, or I may not, that depends on the shipping company.  I can almost guarantee that it won't be reviewed by the end of September since I usually like to actually use a tool before writing a review rather than that silly unboxing smurf you see everywhere nowadays.  This is largely the point of the introductory price- since folks are taking a risk buying an unknown tool, there's a small compensation.

I may consider extending the introductory price, but first I need to see what taxes, import charges and other bullsmurf I am going to have to deal with.  There's a good chance that between all of that and the shipping costs that I will end up losing money at that price, but I feel like it's worth the risk.  :D

Im thinking that this might be expensives scraper i ever gonna buy. I might first wanna see review and actual user video before buying this.
Idea is good but those sharp edges allaround and size of it might be one of those factors it might not get popular

Only Tools Matters

As you know, this is my concern as well with tools that have this form factor.  Judging by how many are still produced like that, it seems that you and I are in the minority though!   :ahhh

Still, this is a survival oriented tool, and I think we need to take that into consideration as well.  If it gets me out of a dangerous situation alive, I am willing to risk a few scratches to do what needs to be done.  I think if this were an EDC oriented tool, then yes, I may be a bit more concerned about cutting open my hands every time I tried opening a bottle or tightening a screw.

Def

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 12:31:25 PM

Def

Permit you?

You have been around long enough to know I encourage you rather than permit you!  :D

Full disclosure... I do not have one of these yet, and I have not handled or tested it.  I have an initial order in with them, bought and paid for and should be shipped to me any time now.  I may have them in hand/stock prior to the end of September, or I may not, that depends on the shipping company.  I can almost guarantee that it won't be reviewed by the end of September since I usually like to actually use a tool before writing a review rather than that silly unboxing smurf you see everywhere nowadays.  This is largely the point of the introductory price- since folks are taking a risk buying an unknown tool, there's a small compensation.

I may consider extending the introductory price, but first I need to see what taxes, import charges and other bullsmurf I am going to have to deal with.  There's a good chance that between all of that and the shipping costs that I will end up losing money at that price, but I feel like it's worth the risk.  :D

Only Tools Matters

As you know, this is my concern as well with tools that have this form factor.  Judging by how many are still produced like that, it seems that you and I are in the minority though!   :ahhh

Still, this is a survival oriented tool, and I think we need to take that into consideration as well.  If it gets me out of a dangerous situation alive, I am willing to risk a few scratches to do what needs to be done.  I think if this were an EDC oriented tool, then yes, I may be a bit more concerned about cutting open my hands every time I tried opening a bottle or tightening a screw.

Def

Well it seems gotta take risk to buy it and try to see how usefull or useless this tool gonna be. I like tho those ideas on tool but i need to find way to carry this tool without making extra scratches but still fast acces to it when needed.

Only Tools Matters

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 12:45:01 PM
See, now this is what I love about dealing with Europeans- because of the time differences they have answered questions before I even roll out of bed in the morning!  :D 

It seems Vincenzo is checking in on us and he has already provided some in use photos and videos that I hadn't seen yet when I made my comments above.  That's what I get for checking the forum before I check my email I guess!   :facepalm:

Here are the photos he has sent:

And here are the videos.  I haven't watched them myself yet, I wanted to get them posted ASAP.

1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCayzOeKHQ
2- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCh-NcyPjqI
3- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_fL1GDtCIw

Def

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:37 PM
Well i made my order on that tool.

Only Tools Matters

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 12:57:04 PM
Now i looked those videos, it seems that tool is way larger than credit card or that man has small hands.

Only Tools Matters

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 01:01:58 PM
Posted by Grant earlier:
You can answer that our multitool is 2,5mm of thickenss. This is a really important point. The similiar multitools that you can find right now on the market, first of all haven't all that functionalities, and most important is that they are only 0,7mm of thickenss. This different of thickenss makes our multitool much more robust and suitable for the functionality which it was engineered for. Other is the kind of steel we used. We've chosen the most suitable kind of steel for a tool like that. The final satin finish serves to make it less vulnerable to scratches.

SPECIFICATIONS

Bits included: PH2
Steel used: stainless
Construction: stainless steel worked with laser cutting and CNC machines
Finish: satin steel

So 10.3 cm by 7.5 cm.

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 01:05:58 PM
Yes, if you look at the dimensions posted above you will see that it is much larger than a credit card.  I think that's a good thing, as I find the only thing credit card sized tools are good for is destroying your wallet.   :facepalm:

It is the same form factor as a credit card tool, but made big enough to be useful.  The top video showing the axe being used I think shows it is more effective than I thought it might be.  I think I am really looking forward to testing these now.  :D

Def

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 01:07:02 PM
It just looks so huge but gonna see myself soon as i get  tool here and in my hands

Only Tools Matters

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:40 PM
Posted by Grant earlier:
SPECIFICATIONS

So 10.3 cm by 7.5 cm.