Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Style scissors on a Signal

us Offline tommywp

Style scissors on a Signal
on: September 19, 2018, 03:13:07 AM
What’s up fellas. Have a proof of concept for adding Style scissors to a Signal and want to ask for some advice before I make some irreversible changes to the Signal.

Tore apart a Style CS, put the blade and small driver together in the silver arm (hopefully there is still room for the small driver when I replace the blade with Style PS scissors), cut the bottom off of the silver arm and removed the big scissor’s springs, left a few pieces of metal to hold the file (its actually a really snug fit), carved/filed the top of the plastic bit and some notch’s underneath.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:30:30 AM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Re: Style scissors on a Signal
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:14:04 AM
I was originally hoping that having the Style arm ride on the file would work out, since it allows for attachment without modifying the Signal, but it sits too high.

Now I’m thinking that I’d be better off  getting rid of the file, grinding off the compartment that housed the big scissor’s springs (where the file now sits), and then attaching just the part of the Style arm that stores the tools directly to the spot in the Signal where the file sits. This will let the arm sit 50% lower and I’m optimistic that the  ergonomics will be pretty good.

I’d need to remove the nub on the Signal that the file connects too, which is a permanent change to an expensive tool but I’m willing to do it if the rest of the plan seems sound.

There are three big question before I can remove the nub:

1. Will the Style scissors and small driver both fit in the silver arm?
2. How do I shorten the Style pivot that’s sticking out in the pictures? Can I just hit it with a Dremmel, and if so how do I keep such a small piece from jumping?
3. How can I attach the remaining Style arm (which has a smooth back) to the Signal. My default is to try VHB tape and i might do that here too, but I’d love to hear suggestion for a stronger metal-to-metal connection. Whatever the solution is, it will need to account for the screw head on the back of the pivot (which won’t sit flush). There’s not enough room to bring the nub in to compartment that stores the Style tools.

Any one have any advice? I think this has a lot of potential.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:47:10 AM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:57 AM
So the little piece of metal that is stamped Leatherman will be removed and it would sit kind of like this
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:44:05 AM by tommywp »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:12:57 AM
With all due respect and  :salute: to this mod, I think many like me will tell u to chose perhaps another scissors to do it. The spring on the style scissors tends to break for no reasons...  :salute: :salute:

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:54:00 AM
With all due respect and  :salute: to this mod, I think many like me will tell u to chose perhaps another scissors to do it. The spring on the style scissors tends to break for no reasons...  :salute: :salute:

I wouldn't say they break for no reason ... It's either bad design or poor quality manufacture, possibly both. :P

But I agree with Sam - use a different pair of scissors.  Or (heresy, perhaps) keep a Style on your keys and leave the Signal as is.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 02:18:33 PM
Interesting idea and "proof of concept"...

...in for more updates  :popcorn:
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00