Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GOAT Tools Modular Multi-tool

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
on: September 21, 2018, 09:07:30 AM
Well Gents, 3D printed prototypes have been made, a provisional patent has been filed, CAD files being sent to machine shops for metal prototypes.

Things to note:
1. All the tools on the handles can be removed and replaced/swapped in just seconds! (this pivot system is what is being patented)
2. All the tools are outside accessible
3. The bottom of the pliers have been flattened to provide a large hammer/pommel area!
4. The bit driver opens to the centerline of the tool
5. The wire cutters are not only replaceable - but made to fit replaceable carbide tips from lathes
6. There will be a choice of dozens of modules/tools to choose from! Different knife steels, serrated or plain edge, flashlight, lock picks, screwdrivers, flint stick/fire starter, etc.

Any questions, comments, or concerns please don't be shy :)

Here are some of the renderings
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:03:09 AM by GOAT Tools »
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Re: GOAT Tools Modular Multi-tool
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:12:47 AM
Hello!:

Could I make any questions, please?

-Weight?
-Dimensions?
-Locking tools? if not will it be provided?
-Release date?
-Price?
-More pics-videos on real prototype?

Advertising in the forum must be paid.
Administrators will remember it  :D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 11:20:35 AM
It's all good.  GOAT Tools has a Crowdsourcing subscription. :tu:

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:48:35 AM
Hello!:

Could I make any questions, please?

-Weight?
depends on tool configuration. 9-12+ oz
-Dimensions?
110x34x22mm
-Locking tools? if not will it be provided?
yes! All tools lock into place. There is a dual purpose lever in each handle that unlocks the tools as well as releases them from the pivot (more details coming soon)
-Release date?
shooting to launch campaign in spring, deliver in summer 2019
-Price?
hoping to keep it under $100 USD with set of modules. It will be made in USA so margins will be tighter than having it manufacturered over seas
-More pics-videos on real prototype?
we are currently working on a video to showcase the modular pivot functionality. I don't have a timeline and n it's release yet, check back soon!

Advertising in the forum must be paid.
Administrators will remember it  :D

I gladly paid my dues :) got to keep this community thriving!
!
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 11:50:54 AM
The concept is very interesting! :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 01:12:46 PM
I really like the design!

Some thoughts, feel free to ignore them.  :D

- I like the long blades on the scissors, but will the short handle provide enough leverage to use them effectively?
- I also like the X-Acto blade holder, but I am wondering if the replaceable blade and main blade position should be swapped so that the replaceable blade gets dulled faster than the main blade?
- Speaking of the X-Acto holder, should it be shorter to bring the blade closer to the handle for better control over the blade?
- I love the add-on feature for keys, USB drives etc. 
- Will the blades and other functions be user replaceable like the old SOG models were?
- It seems to be sized similar to the old Victorinox Autotool, which failed miserably largely due to the excessive size.  Does that seem like it will be a significant problem for this one?
- What carry method?  Will it come with a sheath?  I assume a pocket clip is out of the question.
- Can you also consider a blunt nosed plier version?  Needle nose type pliers don't benefit much from large, bulky handles.

It looks like an amazing tool, and I am looking forward to seeing it in person when it gets produced.  Please put me down for one of the very first ones produced!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:13 PM
Dumb question;

Will it be that the customer customises their MT on e.g. your website with the tools they want or will you have several models with different tools and then offer (like SOG) that one can order the different tools separately and add them themselves?

..Or are you guys doing something completely different?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:44:44 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 02:04:22 PM
Looks very interesting
can’t wait to see the finished product  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 02:33:23 PM

- It seems to be sized similar to the old Victorinox Autotool, which failed miserably largely due to the excessive size.  Does that seem like it will be a significant problem for this one?

I agree. One of the key things I look at with any new tool is ergonomics. I don't care that features it has if I'll be leaving it at home due to being too cumbersome or uncomfortable. Judging purely from the rendering, I think I would find that particular item too unwieldy. A slimmer half width version might be more to my liking though.

I agree on the blunt nosed plier option too.

Would the carbide lathe inserts render them as facepalmingly pathetic as the evaporating cutters on Gerbers? I would suggest looking to high speed steels. Not only would this be better for your tool, but your inserts might render a new MP600 or CentreDrive usable too  ;) (business opportunity increased to cover aftermarket sales for other brands, as well as your own)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 03:09:22 PM
Looks very promising.  :woohoo:

I'm looking forward to see what cunning plan you come up with for the tool unlocking/release lever thing...  :popcorn:

Any thoughts yet on marketing? I'd personally go for various pre-assembled entire tools with different implement complements and with all or most options sold separately.
Someone mentioned a pocket clip... might be interesting regardless of the size (some people have large pockets).

@Grant: I think "needle-nose" doesn't quite apply here. It's a cross that appears to include relatively narrow, yet thick tips... Gives storage advantages as it's less in the way of any (long) handle tools but retains strength. My engineer's eye likes it. One downside is that narrow spaces such as often found around nuts/bolt heads are not accessible with this...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 10:47:19 PM
I really like the design!

Some thoughts, feel free to ignore them.  :D

Ignore constructive criticism from our customers, peers, and fellow DIYers? That's not how we operate at GOAT Tools :cheers:

- I like the long blades on the scissors, but will the short handle provide enough leverage to use them effectively?
Trying to obtain as much scissor blade real estate as possible - if the prototypes prove ineffective the pivot will be moved closer to center. In our experience scissors are not usually used for tasks requiring a large amount of force
- I also like the X-Acto blade holder, but I am wondering if the replaceable blade and main blade position should be swapped so that the replaceable blade gets dulled faster than the main blade?
Yes! See images below. The long tools can be placed in any of the 4 outer slots (2 per handle)
- Speaking of the X-Acto holder, should it be shorter to bring the blade closer to the handle for better control over the blade?
See below, this design is meant to be removed and used as a traditional precision knife. We could also design a short version to be used while holding the MT
- I love the add-on feature for keys, USB drives etc. 
- Will the blades and other functions be user replaceable like the old SOG models were?
Absolutely! This is our primary mission for the multitool. Pick whichever tools you need, arrange them as you desire, and replace as needed
Certainly hope it won't be an issue. It is only a few mm larger than the ever-popular Wave. If our tester feedback reiterates your concern we will likely remove one of the available tool slots (5 on each handle instead of 6) and slim the tool
- What carry method?  Will it come with a sheath?  I assume a pocket clip is out of the question.
See image below for one of the concept sheaths. It will be an injection molded 'Holster' style for quick and easy access. Also intend to have a MOLLE style sheath. Depending on demand we might offer classic leather
- Can you also consider a blunt nosed plier version?  Needle nose type pliers don't benefit much from large, bulky handles.
If the tool is successful enough we will be offering numerous plier options. (shears, blunt nose, crimpers/strippers, etc)

It looks like an amazing tool, and I am looking forward to seeing it in person when it gets produced.  Please put me down for one of the very first ones produced!

Def
Precision blade holder v6.jpg
* Precision blade holder v6.jpg (Filesize: 39.74 KB)
2018-09-22 (4).jpg
* 2018-09-22 (4).jpg (Filesize: 54.3 KB)
2018-09-22 (3).jpg
* 2018-09-22 (3).jpg (Filesize: 64.13 KB)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:01:15 PM by GOAT Tools »
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:06 PM

Would the carbide lathe inserts render them as facepalmingly pathetic as the evaporating cutters on Gerbers? I would suggest looking to high speed steels. Not only would this be better for your tool, but your inserts might render a new MP600 or CentreDrive usable too  ;) (business opportunity increased to cover aftermarket sales for other brands, as well as your own)
I'm not sure if Gerber is making their cutters in-house or utilizing carbide inserts available elsewhere. We will be testing with industrial carbide inserts that are made for machine shops. If they prove to be too brittle, we will definitely be going a different route :tu:.
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 10:56:46 PM
Looks very promising.  :woohoo:

I'm looking forward to see what cunning plan you come up with for the tool unlocking/release lever thing...  :popcorn:

Any thoughts yet on marketing? I'd personally go for various pre-assembled entire tools with different implement complements and with all or most options sold separately.
Someone mentioned a pocket clip... might be interesting regardless of the size (some people have large pockets).
We are going to be adding a removable pocket clip that will mount externally

@Grant: I think "needle-nose" doesn't quite apply here. It's a cross that appears to include relatively narrow, yet thick tips... Gives storage advantages as it's less in the way of any (long) handle tools but retains strength. My engineer's eye likes it. One downside is that narrow spaces such as often found around nuts/bolt heads are not accessible with this...
Dumb question;

Will it be that the customer customises their MT on e.g. your website with the tools they want or will you have several models with different tools and then offer (like SOG) that one can order the different tools separately and add them themselves?

We intend to have a few 'curated' models that will be stocked with preselected tools for various markets (Outdoors, handyman, IT professional, gun range, etc). Ideally, customers will select a core (handles + pliers) and then choose just the tools they want = customized.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:59:33 PM by GOAT Tools »
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 11:10:07 PM

I'm not sure if Gerber is making their cutters in-house or utilizing carbide inserts available elsewhere. We will be testing with industrial carbide inserts that are made for machine shops. If they prove to be too brittle, we will definitely be going a different route :tu:.

I don't think the Gerber ones are turning inserts, but there was a thread a while ago where someone used lathe inserts instead of paying the elevated Gerber prices. If I remember correctly, there wasn't much improvement, even moving to a tougher grade - but it might have been a seating issue  :think:

It might be worth doing a forum search for more details  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 11:27:32 PM
I think it would be more interesting a more portable multitool. like Skeletool-Powerlitre-PPP size, with clip (9-12 oz is a brick!)

Thanks

Good luck

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 11:36:51 PM

Dumb question;

We intend to have a few 'curated' models that will be stocked with preselected tools for various markets (Outdoors, handyman, IT professional, gun range, etc). Ideally, customers will select a core (handles + pliers) and then choose just the tools they want = customized.
[/quote]

I actually really like that idea and the concept of that.

Will the bit driver be 1/4?

How many frames will you be offering or is it only the HD / large frame model you have pictured here?

Will you be shipping them internationally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 11:55:30 PM

I actually really like that idea and the concept of that.

Will the bit driver be 1/4?
The bit driver is standard 1/4". Will likely be designing another version of the bit driver that will accept other companies '2D bits' as well as standard 1/4"
How many frames will you be offering or is it only the HD / large frame model you have pictured here?
Not immediately at launch, due to the vast cost of starting a line of tools. But we have it in our long term business model to expand the frame options
Will you be shipping them internationally?
Yes! Luckily since they are customizable countries that don't allow mailing knives will be able to order (sans blades, obviously). Also means users can create TSA approved arrangements ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 11:43:19 AM
Care to give more details on the tool lock/release mechanism? That would interest me a lot. The renderings and drawing suggest a conventional PST-like passive spring-type detent and not an active lock, but I'm sure not all details of the actual mechanism are shown here.

Whatever the mechanism is that you guys came up with, it seems a far from trivial task to make this work reliably and still solid and usable enough, assuming it is not based on simply withdrawing a tool pivot pin like with all the other replaceable tools on the market.

Don't be afraid to show... Your provisional patent should be sufficient proof against copying...   ;) :D :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 12:50:19 PM
Idea of this tool is excellent, i love idea how you can swap tools needed, that also is my concern how good that mechanism works on long run, i mean does it become loosen over time. Also availability of extra tools is concern.

Only Tools Matters

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 04:22:11 PM
I hope that the tool would be sold in Germany!

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 10:31:21 PM
The concept of this multi-tool is really exciting. I hope it comes to life!

Cheers,
H.G.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 01:44:50 PM
I hope that the tool would be sold in Germany!

It would seem that international shipping is intended. Which brings me to the question of IP coverage. The term provisional patent suggests application was made only in the US. It might be advisable to extend this to other countries, including at least Canada and the European countries party to the EPC...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 11:12:00 PM
Care to give more details on the tool lock/release mechanism? That would interest me a lot. The renderings and drawing suggest a conventional PST-like passive spring-type detent and not an active lock, but I'm sure not all details of the actual mechanism are shown here.

Whatever the mechanism is that you guys came up with, it seems a far from trivial task to make this work reliably and still solid and usable enough, assuming it is not based on simply withdrawing a tool pivot pin like with all the other replaceable tools on the market.

Don't be afraid to show... Your provisional patent should be sufficient proof against copying...   ;) :D :cheers:

The provisional patent gives me filing date for coverage for 12 months with PCT and EPO  :)

This [simple] animation shows the basic functionality of the pivot system. The only thing not shown is the bottom of the handle bending as the tools are pivoting, in real life the metal is applying pressure against the tools (as well as locking the tools when they are extended). This force keeps the tools stable and in place, while being rotating through angles you might think would be unstable.

https://youtu.be/2m2Y_WowRwA
2018-09-23 (3).jpg
* 2018-09-23 (3).jpg (Filesize: 112.06 KB)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:55:58 PM by GOAT Tools »
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 11:58:12 PM
It does not look like a finished product at all. More of a prototype stage to test the interchangeable tools. The engineering may be solid, but the product design is sub par, and I seriously question how you are going to market a tool named Goat? Who on earth came up with that?
The concept is very good, but for now it is back to the drawing board for me.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 01:52:21 AM
It does not look like a finished product at all. More of a prototype stage to test the interchangeable tools. The engineering may be solid, but the product design is sub par, and I seriously question how you are going to market a tool named Goat? Who on earth came up with that?
GOAT is kind of a trend in the US right now. It means greatest of all time. It is also subtituted by the emoji at times. Example: Grant=

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 01:59:08 AM
I personally don’t mind large tools at all if their strength matches up to their size, although different frame sizes would definitely be cool. Either way, I am super excited to see this. One thing that worries me is price point. Starting something like this is hard, but starting it at a price point that will get you enough sales is harder. I don’t think that many people will pay a Charge TTI price for this tool. Not that it isn’t worth it, but it is a lot for a MT, especially for all of the “normal” people outside of this forum. Most people won’t pay Charge TTI price for, well, a Charge TTI.

I also have another question that i may have missed. Can you carry it in half-tool form?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:01:27 AM by gdoolittle »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 02:55:55 AM
GOAT is kind of a trend in the US right now. It means greatest of all time. It is also subtituted by the emoji at times. Example: Grant=

:facepalm: 
I rest my case
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 03:09:57 AM

:facepalm: 
I rest my case
I don’t disagree that the trend is somewhat silly, but companies that are trying to appeal to anyone under 30 that ignore trends will not do well right now or in the near future, at least not in the US. Naming your company after a trend though is, i agree, a bad idea. Maybe it stands for something else. Either way, as far as I go,
The company or tool name will not stop me from buying it if it a good tool. SOG is just as crude a name as GOAT (especially if goat is not intended to mimic the trend) and they do ok. Gerber shares it’s name with baby food and they do ok. And who even knows what KA-BAR stands for anymore. As long as you associate your chosen name with a reputation for best-in-class or close to it, I think you will be fine. Name is important, so in early stages like this maybe it is a good idea to change it, but if he is set or stuck with that name I don’t see anything wrong with it.

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 04:52:06 AM

You are correct, it is in the prototype stage. As we stated in the original post we are transitioning from 3D printed to metal prototypes to fine tune the fit, function, and test durability. :)

GOAT = Gentlemen Of All Trades. Because our MT was designed from the start to be modular, we are looking forward to customers of varying professions, backgrounds, and lifestyles customizing it up as it suits them.
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 04:55:10 AM

GOAT = Gentlemen Of All Trades. Because our MT was designed from the start to be modular, we are looking forward to customers of varying professions, backgrounds, and lifestyles customizing it up as it suits them.

I like that name for sure after it’s explanation!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%