Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GOAT Tools Modular Multi-tool

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: GOAT Tools Modular Multi-tool
Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 08:57:32 AM
Care to give more details on the tool lock/release mechanism? That would interest me a lot. The renderings and drawing suggest a conventional PST-like passive spring-type detent and not an active lock, but I'm sure not all details of the actual mechanism are shown here.

Whatever the mechanism is that you guys came up with, it seems a far from trivial task to make this work reliably and still solid and usable enough, assuming it is not based on simply withdrawing a tool pivot pin like with all the other replaceable tools on the market.

Don't be afraid to show... Your provisional patent should be sufficient proof against copying...   ;) :D :cheers:

The provisional patent gives me filing date for coverage for 12 months with PCT and EPO  :)

This [simple] animation shows the basic functionality of the pivot system. The only thing not shown is the bottom of the handle bending as the tools are pivoting, in real life the metal is applying pressure against the tools (as well as locking the tools when they are extended). This force keeps the tools stable and in place, while being rotating through angles you might think would be unstable.

https://youtu.be/2m2Y_WowRwA

Thanks very much for the explanation, this makes it rather clear what you intend to do. I've given it some thought. Kudos for the simple design - however I feel I have to draw your attention to the following issues that I see with this mechanism:
1. The tools do not actively lock in the extended state, it seems. As I surmised, it is more like a sprung detent mechanism (the spring opening is forced over the implement's lock stud by the bias of the spring, but moving the tool into the closing position makes the spring lift off the stud). Have you considered the effect of wear on the interacting surfaces of the spring opening and the studs? (Apart from the spring possibly weakening over time?) Also, it seems that adverse forces on an extended implement might easily cause it to close on a user's hand (ouch!), at least (much) more so than e.g. LM's or Vic's or SOG's active locking systems.
2. Have you considered the fact that the mechanism makes it very difficult to apply a 90°-opened locked position, which would be handy for Phillips or flat blade drivers or the bit driver? Applying a force almost, but not quite, in line with the implement opened at 90° might cause it to slip off the pivot.

Edit:
3. A half tang is less than half as strong as a full one...
4. Wear on matching pivot and tang surfaces is quite critical, I think. To make this work you'd need to use a very hard steel... hard steel is brittle... and then see previous point. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:19:38 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

GOAT = Gentlemen Of All Trades. Because our MT was designed from the start to be modular, we are looking forward to customers of varying professions, backgrounds, and lifestyles customizing it up as it suits them.

I like that name for sure after it’s explanation!

+1 - and the logo. A tie, indeed!
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 12:15:47 PM
It does not look like a finished product at all. More of a prototype stage to test the interchangeable tools. The engineering may be solid, but the product design is sub par, and I seriously question how you are going to market a tool named Goat? Who on earth came up with that?
The concept is very good, but for now it is back to the drawing board for me.

You are correct, it is in the prototype stage. As we stated in the original post we are transitioning from 3D printed to metal prototypes to fine tune the fit, function, and test durability. :)

GOAT = Gentlemen Of All Trades. Because our MT was designed from the start to be modular, we are looking forward to customers of varying professions, backgrounds, and lifestyles customizing it up as it suits them.

Ok, I was not aware it was an acronym. Now you have explained the meaning I made the connection with your post signature and your avatar of the gentleman goat wearing a tie.Thumbs up and wishing you good luck.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 09:50:55 PM
Not for women then?  ;) :pok:

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:02 PM
Thanks very much for the explanation, this makes it rather clear what you intend to do. I've given it some thought. Kudos for the simple design - however I feel I have to draw your attention to the following issues that I see with this mechanism:
1. The tools do not actively lock in the extended state, it seems. As I surmised, it is more like a sprung detent mechanism (the spring opening is forced over the implement's lock stud by the bias of the spring, but moving the tool into the closing position makes the spring lift off the stud). Have you considered the effect of wear on the interacting surfaces of the spring opening and the studs? (Apart from the spring possibly weakening over time?) Also, it seems that adverse forces on an extended implement might easily cause it to close on a user's hand (ouch!), at least (much) more so than e.g. LM's or Vic's or SOG's active locking systems.
2. Have you considered the fact that the mechanism makes it very difficult to apply a 90°-opened locked position, which would be handy for Phillips or flat blade drivers or the bit driver? Applying a force almost, but not quite, in line with the implement opened at 90° might cause it to slip off the pivot.

Edit:
4. Wear on matching pivot and tang surfaces is quite critical, I think. To make this work you'd need to use a very hard steel... hard steel is brittle... and then see previous point.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns! We greatly appreciate the insight we are gathering from people beyond ourselves in the MT world.

1. It seems my explanation and renderings are not properly representing the MT. The tools do lock (the cutouts in the tools fit into the 'spring' section of the handle once fully extended, it is not just spring tension holding them open), requiring the locking arm to be slightly depressed, the locking arm presses the spring down & out of the tool void, thus allowing the tool to be refolded. It is a very similar locking mechanism to Schrade ST1 MT. We will be able to provide real life examples once we get the prototypes back from machining.
2. We will be testing the use of the tools at 90 degrees, you are correct that it might retain less stability. We have gone through dozens of iterations on the pivot design to give it the most security when in use, and still maintain the ability to quickly swap tools. The current design has been our best balance.
3 & 4. We are making the prototypes in varying materials & heat treatments to find out what combination will provide the best possible quality and life of the tool.

Thank you all again for your input! I'm looking forward to sharing our progress with you all as we move closer to a final product!
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 11:12:04 PM
Plot twist: It was a woman that came up with the name! :tu:
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 01:47:40 PM

Edit:

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns! We greatly appreciate the insight we are gathering from people beyond ourselves in the MT world.

1. It seems my explanation and renderings are not properly representing the MT. The tools do lock (the cutouts in the tools fit into the 'spring' section of the handle once fully extended, it is not just spring tension holding them open), requiring the locking arm to be slightly depressed, the locking arm presses the spring down & out of the tool void, thus allowing the tool to be refolded. It is a very similar locking mechanism to Schrade ST1 MT. We will be able to provide real life examples once we get the prototypes back from machining.
2. We will be testing the use of the tools at 90 degrees, you are correct that it might retain less stability. We have gone through dozens of iterations on the pivot design to give it the most security when in use, and still maintain the ability to quickly swap tools. The current design has been our best balance.
3 & 4. We are making the prototypes in varying materials & heat treatments to find out what combination will provide the best possible quality and life of the tool.

Thank you all again for your input! I'm looking forward to sharing our progress with you all as we move closer to a final product!

Thanks - I've taken another look at the video (now on a 27" monitor rather than my phone :D) and can now see how the unlock lever is supposed to work (although the video does not show that the spring is lifted off the implement's studs), and in addition I somehow had the idea that you weren't turning the pivot for the tool release action but simply counteracting spring retention. But of course you are turning the pivot. Neat feature, that. (I actually thought of including that as a mod to improve my faulty picture of how your tool worked, if that makes sense, but I'd have had an outside pivot turning clip thing - your solution as combination unlocking and release arm/lever is nicer).

I'd suggest that the next iteration of your promo video should be a little clearer as to the twin unlock and release functions of the lever (the latter also clarifying the turning of the pivot). You may want to give the lever (and pivot (?)) a contrasting colour, at least in the video (and, who knows, also IRL(?)).

That means I was wrong on item 1 and in part on item 2 - please disregard. Good luck with the development, and please keep us informed!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:00:49 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 03:07:42 PM

Nor despicable men  :facepalm:

I like the acronym.  I generally think GOAT = Greatest of All Time.  Gear of Advanced Thinkers? 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 10:56:30 PM

I have been discriminated against yet again.  :facepalm:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 11:20:18 PM

I have been discriminated against yet again.  :facepalm:

Could be worse - you could have been a despicable woman...  :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 11:32:48 PM
 :rofl: True!

:b2t:  :popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 12:14:20 AM
 :rofl:

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 08:36:49 AM
I like the name too. Apart from the acronym, goats are renowned for their ability to live in rough terrain.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 09:52:03 PM
Isn't Gentlepersons the politically correct and gender inclusive version of Gentlemen?  :pok:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #44 on: September 27, 2018, 10:21:59 PM
What would be the politically correct and gender inclusive version of Ladies then?  :think:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 12:38:23 AM
Oh no, lets please not be politically correct. :facepalm:

ca Offline holder228

Reply #46 on: October 11, 2018, 03:26:32 AM
The pivots are interesting, but I have some inquiries. I'm making assumptions in my reasoning, so please correct me in places where I'm mistaken. The pivots are shown to rotate to allow the tools to be removed, correct? It looked like the pivot is attached to one of the outer tools to allow ease of access. Generally the outer tools are long ones that someone might use the most. Have you had any issues with the pivot catching on the tool cutouts when it rotates? What about tools slipping off the pivot unintentionally?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 10:53:30 PM
The basic design looks like it would be very heavy duty, and able to handle anything I would throw at it. The only criticism I have is a personal one--I hate replaceable cutters, as the milling out for them weakens the plier head.

I'm curious, what steel type will you use for the plier head? I would prefer a forged tool steel or D2.

Offline Mike Dunn

• New User
Reply #48 on: January 23, 2019, 06:58:55 AM
Wow just discovered you guys. Is my search for the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) coming to an end?
It sounds like ya'll are open to suggestions for developing stuff, from what I've read. So thought I'd throw some thoughts out there:
1. Traditionally, I think the idea with multi-tools is that they all fit very pretty inside the rectangle, and that maybe be the most popular case, but a lot of guys that belt carry on the job really don't care if you have couple of bigger thumb loops sticking out. Spyderco is a perfect example of a company that basically lives off the fact that they offer big thumb loops that some people think are ugly.
2. On that same note, I can really see a good Plier style Multi-tool w/ an EMT style pair of shears that folds out. But of course when this goes in your nylon or kydex holster that thumb loop loop for the shears would bulge out.
3. I saw that you were making a rifleman's specific multi-tool. So I'm assuming those tools will be available for the customs. I hope a good gun-smith is consulted about these tools. Leatherman makes a multi-tool like this, and i really think that their disassembly punch should be should made of brass and then it could have doubled as a carbon scraper (with a design I see in my head) and had many other uses when working the gun, but again that would be good for brain storming with a gun smith, and I really can see how it too could have been used then for the carbon scraper and many other uses as well.
$.Thanks for making them so we can hammer on them!!!!!!

Offline Mike Dunn

• New User
Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:45 PM
Wow just discovered you guys. Is my search for the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) coming to an end?
It sounds like ya'll are open to suggestions for developing stuff, from what I've read. So thought I'd throw some thoughts out there:
1. Traditionally, I think the idea with multi-tools is that they all fit very pretty inside the rectangle, and that maybe be the most popular case, but a lot of guys that belt carry on the job really don't care if you have couple of bigger thumb loops sticking out. Spyderco is a perfect example of a company that basically lives off the fact that they offer big thumb loops that some people think are ugly.
2. On that same note, I can really see a good Plier style Multi-tool w/ an EMT style pair of shears that folds out. But of course when this goes in your nylon or kydex holster that thumb loop loop for the shears would bulge out.
3. I saw that you were making a rifleman's specific multi-tool. So I'm assuming those tools will be available for the customs. I hope a good gun-smith is consulted about these tools. Leatherman makes a multi-tool like this, and i really think that their disassembly punch should be should made of brass and then it could have doubled as a carbon scraper (with a design I see in my head) and had many other uses when working the gun, but again that would be good for brain storming with a gun smith, and I really can see how it too could have been used then for the carbon scraper and many other uses as well.
$.Thanks for making them so we can hammer on them!!!!!!
Just saw that you guys are actually planning on having a body with heavy duty shears instead of pliers. THAT IS AWESOME!!! Perfect for people who need to do rescue.
I take back my other suggestion for shears... well it would be amazing, but I would be satisfied to just have shears as the body if a side tool is impossible.

Offline Mike Dunn

• New User
Reply #50 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
wow, i just realized that you can just take your knife blade off temporarily and then your GOAT is TSA approved!

Offline Mike Dunn

• New User
Reply #51 on: January 29, 2019, 05:46:20 PM
Just in case ya'll are STILL looking for tools to be inspired by. Aside from what I've already seen I just thought I would make a list of all the coolest multi-tool tools I've ever seen for you. This may take more than one post as I may think of more later. In no particular order:
1. Shears.                                                         Victorinox Ranger Grip 71 Gardener
2. Large Thumb Loop Blade.                            SpyderCo. SpydeRench ... also...
                                                                         Victorinox Ranger Grip Boatsman. Also 57, 58, 61,78, 79, 178, 179, Hunter, Alpineer, Forester
3. Ratchet Set for Bit Kit                                   Victorinox SwissTool X/XC Plus Ratchet
4. Whistle & Ferrocerium Rod                          Leatherman Signal
5. Replaceable Fire Arm Disassembly punch  Leatherman Mut        (I'd prefer a brass punch)
6. Replaceable Bronze Carbon Scraper          Leatherman Mut
7. Carbide Glass Breaker Bit  (Unique bit)       Leatherman Skeletool RX
8. Cutting hook on main blade                         Leatherman Charge+
9. Pressurized Ballpoint Pen                           Victorinox Manager
Bonus: Leatherman Raptor. Not an additional tool in itself, but its ingenuity is inspirational for future multi-tool bodies and side shears
Sheath: I'd like my sheath to be clip on. My dad had a great Leather clip on sheath when I was a child for  his large Swiss army knife. It was great because if we were heading some where, he'd ask me to go grab his stuff, and I'd grab his wallet, keys, and knife, and he'd just clip it onto his waist band. No belt needed. If he had a belt, he'd clip it there. I can't find one like it. So much better then having to undo your belt and thread it through.

I'd love to hear uncommon great tools that others have seen in different multi-tools. And I think they would be great to post for GOAT, as they are the first company that I know that are actually trying to provide what the worker wants instead of just trying to sell us additional full sets to carry.  I'm sure what I look to use is different then what other people use. I left out many cool tools because I have already seen that GOAT intends on making this or it is already incorporated into their standard body.

P.S. I read that GOAT is trying to keep it under $100, but I am more than willing to pay double... triple that if they can put everything that I want in one tool, and keep out a bunch of junk I don't need.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #52 on: February 17, 2019, 02:13:30 AM
Interesting ideas with this tool. Looking forward to some updates!  :popcorn:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: April 20, 2020, 07:18:18 PM
Sorry to bump... :whistle:

Any news  :dunno: 
They don't like it up 'em!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
GOAT Tools Modular Multi-tool
Reply #54 on: April 20, 2020, 07:37:30 PM

Just looked GOAT Tools FB page and it seems they are progressing now. 3d printing first models, update was 6 weeks ago

Only Tools Matters

us Offline GOAT Tools

• Custom & Modular
Reply #55 on: April 24, 2020, 10:22:42 PM

My apologies for the lack of updates! I don't have a dedicated public relations/social media representative yet to keep track of these things haha.

Just got off the phone with our account manager at Xometry to get some new metal parts made. It costs about $1k per metal prototype, so fingers crossed this one will be the final! Spent the last couple of months 3D printing around the clock making millimeter changes trying to fine-tune the design to perfection.

Just in case ya'll are STILL looking for tools to be inspired by. Aside from what I've already seen I just thought I would make a list of all the coolest multi-tool tools I've ever seen for you.
Thank you for all the feed back and suggestions! I'm adding all of this to a spreadsheet for reference!
Gentlemen of All Trades
www.GOAT.tools

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: April 24, 2020, 10:29:42 PM
Fingers crossed for you. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator