Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for info on this one.......

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Looking for info on this one.......
on: September 23, 2018, 02:04:12 AM
Got this at an antique shop today and am a bit puzzled.Thought it might be an old ink eraser(still a possibility)due to the sheath but it is a double edged dagger blade(2 in.long)and I don't recall ever seeing one shaped like that before or having a guard and I have a bunch of them.
Stamp is:" A.Paterson Warranted Sheffield" in three lines on the tang.None of my reference books show that name(still searching the 'net). The mother of pearl handle is cracked(repaired it with CA glue)and the ferrule in back of the nickel silver guard and the crown pommel appear to be silver but display no hallmarks or a sterling stamp.
Discounting the possibility that it is a,"lady of the evening" dagger(too small).
Hoping maybe one of the UK members might recall seeing the name as I would like to try and date it's manufacture. From the lettering on the tang stamp it looks to be pre-1900.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Looking for info on this one.......
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 03:06:13 AM
Not a name I'm familiar with, Ray. However, it may be one of the myriad of "Little Mesters" who operated in the city. As to the style, it reminds me of an oyster knife. I see no other reason to make such a large elaborate knife with such a small blade.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Re: Looking for info on this one.......
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 04:26:50 AM
Not a name I'm familiar with, Ray. However, it may be one of the myriad of "Little Mesters" who operated in the city. As to the style, it reminds me of an oyster knife. I see no other reason to make such a large elaborate knife with such a small blade.
You may be onto something;I have several Henckels oyster knives and they are very similar in size and shape.Not fancy though.
KitchenKnives 018.jpg
* KitchenKnives 018.jpg (Filesize: 106.64 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%