Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisscard - illegal UK knife carry?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Swisscard - illegal UK knife carry?
Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 02:27:29 PM
The Swiss Card is technically illegal here in Australia, or should I say Nannystralia, because it falls into the description of "Knives designed to resemble or concealed in some other object."  A rule intended to cover the likes of 'sword sticks'.

ame thing happens in Germany and other EU countries- :dunno:
no matter what the length, shape, size or sharpness is: if a blade is hidden as an everyday object or other non-blade thing (comb, belt buckle, pen, credit card) it's totally illegal and will undoubtedly get you in trouble  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 03:12:20 PM
I carry one regularly, but it is at work. I carry it in my little card wallet with my work ID card, printer access card, fresnel magnifier card and a few business cards.  Also, the little blade is supposed to be a letter opener.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 03:35:34 PM
Surely it is not concealed if the Swisscard is transparent? :P
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 03:40:15 PM
Surely it is not concealed if the Swisscard is transparent? :P

In some places it doesn't matter if it's concealed, being shaped differently than a knife (any other object, partially or totally) makes it illegal to carry, own, buy, possess or sell in many cases  :-[
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: September 26, 2018, 04:08:38 PM
I hadn't thought of the blade as concealed as something else.  Fair point since here in Cali that is a determining factor.  Again while I understand many sides to whether this tool is legal or not I'll stay on the side where its safe for me.  I really want as little or no contact with LEO or any debate as to legality of such an item. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 04:23:47 PM
As silly as it may seam its what many laws in European countries are like. If it's a fixed ou locking blade, or hidden on another object its illegal for EDC. Only possible to carry for work if justified and stored in a case, bag or something of not immediate access.
Max length size for an EDC folding blade is 10cm. IMO, its more than adequate for edc, who would actually "need" anything over 10cm for a folding pocket utility edc blade?  :think:

I figure the main problem with the Swiss card blade is that it's fixed, no matter it's size
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2018, 04:31:05 PM
10cm is fair to me as well.  I tend to carry less than on my folders tho my fixed blades are just over 10cm.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 04:42:39 PM
10cm is fair to me as well.  I tend to carry less than on my folders tho my fixed blades are just over 10cm.   

Yup..  The length of the actual blade on a 91mm sak is 70mm's ( and 65 on the 84mm's), so it falls very comfortably below the 100mm mark.  :D
Nevertheless, discretion and common sense is always advised when using a folding blade (of any size) in general public .
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 04:43:13 PM
7.6cm here in the UK, but I'd never need more than that unless I was camping, gardening, on a DIY project, out on a boat, or whatever - in which case the law lets me take the tools I need :shrug: No big deal as far as i'm concerned. Much fuss made about nothing IMHO.

Ok, so you can't carry any toy you want, but there's more than ample legal options with pocket knives, so it's not exactly restrictive. Pliers tools are slightly different, but there's still a few options available, and I've never needed pliers while pushing a trolley round the supermarket anyway.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 04:53:24 PM
7.6cm here in the UK, but I'd never need more than that unless I was camping, gardening, on a DIY project, out on a boat, or whatever - in which case the law lets me take the tools I need :shrug: No big deal as far as i'm concerned. Much fuss made about nothing IMHO.

Ok, so you can't carry any toy you want, but there's more than ample legal options with pocket knives, so it's not exactly restrictive. Pliers tools are slightly different, but there's still a few options available, and I've never needed pliers while pushing a trolley round the supermarket anyway.

+1  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 04:55:29 PM
I wonder sometimes if the grief is more about not being able by law to carry certain items more than actually wanting to?  I know some of my American brothers and sisters feel this way.  I have my moments truthfully.  Sometimes I'm defiant about stupid laws ( to my mind ) or as many Americans feel ( an infringement ) of perceived rights. 

Why I honestly ask is here in Cali we are by law allowed to carry a fixed blade openly.  I rarely see this tho  :think:.  I've been all over this state.  I'm not talking about in the back woods but in urban areas.  Sure up in the mountains and in the back country I carry a fixed blade openly.  On certain work sites I also carry my fixed blade.  I've even carried openly in my urban area.  Its not something I want broadcasted tho.  I tend to be understated and off the radar best I can.  My stunning looks and oozing sexiness however  :rofl: :rofl:.  Ok HAHAHA.  Wow  :facepalm:

Truth is, I'm sure there are those who despite the UK/EU laws carry what you want.  If we are talking about whats legal and what not is there some grey area that seems to be confusing?  I don't believe there is here in Cali  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline VictorinoxEDC

• Scotland, UK
Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 07:07:21 PM
Interesting debate, my fellow Knights. Here's another little spanner in the works for your consideration... These four Vics are my EDC - Swisstool with removed safety locks, Handyman, Minichamp and the Swisscard Quattro with the Evil letter opener blade. Which one is illegal to carry in the UK out of these four? Yes, as discussed, it's the smallest; the Swisscard letter opener shown at the bottom of the photo. Uk law says that this is categorised as a fixed blade (as it cannot fold) and is therefore illegal and you can go to jail for carrying it on your person in public. The other three are perfectly legal. How nuts is the UK???
_20180926_180442.JPG
* _20180926_180442.JPG (Filesize: 70.21 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 07:20:06 PM
Interesting debate, my fellow Knights. Here's another little spanner in the works for your consideration... These four Vics are my EDC - Swisstool with removed safety locks, Handyman, Minichamp and the Swisscard Quattro with the Evil letter opener blade. Which one is illegal to carry in the UK out of these four? Yes, as discussed, it's the smallest; the Swisscard letter opener shown at the bottom of the photo. Uk law says that this is categorised as a fixed blade (as it cannot fold) and is therefore illegal and you can go to jail for carrying it on your person in public. The other three are perfectly legal. How nuts is the UK???
It just needs a little tweak: Fixed blades under x cm are allowed. :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 07:59:59 PM
The laws at times are odd theres no debating that.  I've never owned a Swisscard but by the looks of that "fixed blade" it appears it would snap if stabbed into something  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 08:20:16 PM

So... you're carrying three legal tools which cover all the functions of the illegal one (if you put plus scales on the Handyman), which are equal to or superior to it in every way ... and you say it's the law that's nuts?  :D

While the law doesn't expressly specify permission for carrying that dinky fixed blade, it also isn't going to waste money going through all the proceedings, and finding you a space in already packed prisons, unless you are doing something ridiculously stupid with it. If you are doing anything so stupid with that card that you end up in prison, you'd end up there with any of the others anyway. If you seriously think it's a real problem for you, either take the knife out, or ditch the card altogether. :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:42 PM

So... you're carrying three legal tools which cover all the functions of the illegal one (if you put plus scales on the Handyman), which are equal to or superior to it in every way ... and you say it's the law that's nuts?  :D

While the law doesn't expressly specify permission for carrying that dinky fixed blade, it also isn't going to waste money going through all the proceedings, and finding you a space in already packed prisons, unless you are doing something ridiculously stupid with it. If you are doing anything so stupid with that card that you end up in prison, you'd end up there with any of the others anyway. If you seriously think it's a real problem for you, either take the knife out, or ditch the card altogether. :shrug:

:iagree:

I reckon in this situation the likelihood is that "opening letters" would be a lawful excuse for carrying it unless you've clearly gone out of your way to be naughty with it.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 27, 2018, 12:53:34 AM

:iagree: +10

I still fail to see how it could possibly be a problem... If we are just speculating on the laws interpretation and sense, ok... but the actual practical side of it, especially when one has 3 folding blades at disposal already..., i find it a non-issue...   :think:

• Scotland, UK
Reply #47 on: September 27, 2018, 09:14:01 PM
The UK law does not allow a fixed blade to be carried in public without very good reason. Ergo, the Swisscard knife is illegal for me to have on my person. Not because it's a deadly weapon, but because it falls within the UK Government's definition of what is an illegal knife.

Stupid, crazy, madness, frustrating... Well, yes. But I'm not planning on carrying it when a bad situation arises and I get hauled before a Judge and have to face the possibility of 4 years in jail and an unlimited fine (yes, that is the punishment for carrying it).

At the end of the day, common sense is thrown out the window and if you've broken the law and carried an illegal knife, then I believe the UK Judicial system will look to make an example of you.

I don't agree with it, but you have to play by the rules or face the consequences.

:duel:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 27, 2018, 09:40:46 PM
But do the people who arrest people want to deal with all that paperwork?

All hail the hook!

• Scotland, UK
Reply #49 on: September 27, 2018, 09:49:16 PM
Of course not, but knife crime is a huge problem in Scotland and England. More specifically London and Glasgow (my home town). The powers that be are desperate to crackdown on anyone breaking the knife laws. With an unlimited fine to be paid by 'the criminal', I'm sure they could make it worth their time.

:salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD