Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who would buy a carbon steel Pioneer?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Who would buy a carbon steel Pioneer?
Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 07:38:05 PM
5160, D2, A2, 52100, CPM M4 just to name a few.  I might very well be wrong but Carbon doesn't have to mean rusting is guaranteed or high level of care must be taken.  Steels have come a long way since 1095 or whatever from days past.

True, but when someone states "carbon" without stating the actual alloy, I automatically think 1095.  D2, for example, is not what I think of at all.

One thing I love about Vic steel is the ease of sharpening, and their knifes aren't designed to be hard-use cutters.  D2 is in another category.
- Terry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 08:00:30 PM
Totally agree.   :tu:

I was more prompting some further thought/conversation.  Lots of good Carbon Steel out there.  Vic steel is very easily maintained no question.  We have had some members tho struggle with getting theirs up to snuff.  I think as some move to other steels they also move to other means of maintaining their edges.  It kind of goes hand in hand in my mind  :dunno:

Saying for example,  X steel is hard to sharpen so I wont try it, seems off.  As knife people I'd imagine as the interest in steel choices grows so does the understanding of how to care for the edge.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 08:33:37 PM
Good point.  I've been sharpening Vic SS for a very long time, so it's second nature, and 1095 is similar enough.

I'll admit I still haven't become proficient at sharpening D2....
- Terry

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 08:34:47 PM
When I got my Fallkniven U2 I had to get the DC4 as well, because the knife wouldn´t sharpen on a whetstone.  8)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:01 PM
When I got my Fallkniven U2 I had to get the DC4 as well, because the knife wouldn´t sharpen on a whetstone.  8)

a most excellent stone  :gimme:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Who would buy a carbon steel Pioneer?
Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 01:46:58 PM
I would like to make one point. SAK steel and a good heat treated 1095, lets say, do not have near the same edge retention for me. I can wear down a SAK whittling or carving much quicker than a 1095 blade, in harder material such as hardwood or animal skin I think 1095 or similar steel wins every time. When you are cutting easier, softer stuff, it does not matter as much and is not as noticeable of a difference. Also, I do not push my SAKs to the point of snapping the blade, but carbon steel is supposed to me much more resilient to torque and other things than stainless. I think the SAK steel is great, but would love a 1095 option as well for harder use and cool factor. I feel that a Pioneer is constructed just as sturdily as any other slip joint, so I would not hesitate to use one hard if i needed to. Maybe one of us needs to do some kind of comparison if we can find a comparable carbon blade of good quality :think:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:50:56 PM by gdoolittle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD