Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger-styled pliers

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Wenger-styled pliers
on: September 23, 2018, 04:58:49 PM
I am interested in a S557 for my trip to Germany/Austria/Czech. I will likely take it and my Wenger Ranger (serrated blade and saw). All of that is just backstory though. My question is this: how good are the wenger slip joint pliers? How do they compare to the pliers on the Vics? How about LM squirt or juice? I am also thinking about a juice, but the tools on the SAKs seem more useable (never had a juice).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wenger-styled pliers
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 05:06:04 PM
The fact that they can be widened is cool!

Also, the crimper on those pliers work on the spring part, doubeling the presure on the cable shoe. This makes them far superiour to Vic's in that regard.

Just like the scissors, the spring drops it's presure and the pliers close  as soon as you start folding them close.

All in all, I think the engineering behind them is just mindblowing.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:27:31 PM
The Victorinox pliers are a bit more needlenose compared to the Wenger's.

The Victorinox pliers tip meet flat on flat, which makes it easy to grab something small with a lot of force.
The Wenger ones just meet tooth on tooth, so you may or may not grip what you want to grip. You probably will, but for example a single hair will be cut instead of just grabbed.

Also, when you press the Victorinox pliers handle, you just make the pliers close.
Because of the integrated bar, pressing the Wenger pliers handle makes the other half move as they close. This may annoy you slightly, when going ahead to grab something, only for the plier tips to move away from it.

On the Wenger pliers, more material was removed from each handle, to accommodate the other when you make them open wider. This makes the Wenger pliers be thinner for more of the handle length compared to the Victorinox pliers.

I hope these make sense. If needed I could take pictures and maybe illustrate the points better.
I personally prefer the Vic pliers. I use them for precision tasks, and I like that the tips do not shift when opening and closing the handle.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:30:17 PM
All in all, I think the engineering behind them is just mindblowing.

I still agree with this. A lot of thought went into the Wenger pliers, and would be just fine with them.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 05:45:01 PM
I like the Wenger pliers as well.Although I do wish they had up-graded their construction just as Vic did some time ago.

Vic increased the width of their pliers to 3MM in 1987,I believe.It's too bad that Wenger didn't follow suit.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 06:01:31 PM
while the Vic's pliers are more precise and better for medical jobs, precise stuff and very tiny objects (needles, hairs)

I prefer the Wenger pliers for everyday use, stronger spring (I've admittedly bent and broken Vic's pliers and scissors springs :facepalm:)  and the adjustable opening width, especially for the nuts you find on electronic stuff and PCs.  :salute:
And they look sexier...  :like:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 06:15:12 PM
while the Vic's pliers are more precise and better for medical jobs, precise stuff and very tiny objects (needles, hairs)

(Image removed from quote.)

I prefer the Wenger pliers for everyday use, stronger spring (I've admittedly bent and broken Vic's pliers and scissors springs :facepalm:)  and the adjustable opening width, especially for the nuts you find on electronic stuff and PCs.  :salute:
And they look sexier...  :like:

(Image removed from quote.)
I like that evo, sissors, saw, and adjustable pliers.  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56