Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question(s) about the Victorinox Soldier Swiss Army Knife

MMR · 18 · 1056

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Question(s) about the Victorinox Soldier Swiss Army Knife
on: September 25, 2018, 12:27:14 PM
Hi,

Just a few questions about the "Victorinox Soldier Swiss Army Knife", both me and my dad are looking for a good knife based multi tool for hunting, but I would also be bringing it camping and hiking, won't be an EDC mainly due to Irish law about carrying knives in public.

Link: https://www.swiss-store.co.uk/large-pocket-knives-c84/victorinox-soldier-swiss-army-knife-p629

- Is it really the case that you have to buy a sheath separately? ...it says "Fabric pouch for lock blade series (2-3 layer) (sold separately)"

- What's peoples experience with the "breadknife" like knife it has?

- Question for the shooters: are the flat blades the right size for adjusting a rifle scope, or are they too small / large?

- What's peoples experience with how it holds up against wet & muddy forrest conditions and also dry & dusty conditions?

Apologies on a forehand if above are dumb / already answered questions, I just couldn't find any write ups / reviews / youtube videos on field testing the knife and how it holds up over time.
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Question(s) about the Victorinox Soldier Swiss Army Knife
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:37:49 PM
Have you looked at the Outrider? :dd:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:07:43 PM
Have you looked at the Outrider? :dd:

Oh I have looked at many  :)

You see, the reason for the "Soldier Swiss Army Knife" is that my dad has a round birthday coming up next year and we will be on a hunting trip during his birthday, so I wanted it so I wanted something in that theme to make it more memorable for the old man too.

Also I don't want one with the cork screw
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:41:42 PM
Is there really no one who have anything to say or add about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:52:14 PM
Well, I’m guessing that it handles water and dirt just like every other SAK?
Why not get a Pioneer? :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 03:56:26 PM
Your post has only been up a couple of hours and you're asking questions of members who own guns so that's a very specific and probably small (for the time of day) group of people. Patience young padawen  :pok:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 03:56:50 PM
I would go with the Huntsman, even though it has the cork screw tool. And because of your location I think I would go with the current Elsener set with the silver coin. Which has been discussed pretty well here. When your dad can’t carry the knife, he will have the coin and still have the memories of the trip!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 04:31:26 PM
- Is it really the case that you have to buy a sheath separately? ...it says "Fabric pouch for lock blade series (2-3 layer) (sold separately)"

Yes

- What's peoples experience with the "breadknife" like knife it has?

Serrated blades cut better then a plain edge when turning dull, but are harder to sharpen when completely dull.

They cut really well, but make for a little less smooth cuts compared to PE blades.

- Question for the shooters: are the flat blades the right size for adjusting a rifle scope, or are they too small / large?

I'm European. 'Nough said.

- What's peoples experience with how it holds up against wet & muddy forrest conditions and also dry & dusty conditions?

Like any SAK.
Doesn't rust, easy to sharpen.
Rinse, wash and oil when needed.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 04:35:28 PM
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 04:41:52 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 04:57:46 PM
I'll try to help.  As far as durability of the Soldier for the money is very durable and we'll handle most tasks with no problem just remember it's a folding knife and it's not going to preform as well as a fixed blade at tasks like batoning. The 70 30 serrated blade is a great utility blade and should handle most outdoor tasks.It's week points would be it's not the best at wood carving and it wouldn't be my first choice for dressing game. If you're dressing game and can't use a fixed blade I would recommend a plane edge One Hand Trailmaster.

Assuming that Rifle scope screws are the same as here in the States the SD well fit it fine.

I'll sum up my feeling on the Soldier like this.  If I where in a "survival situation"I would feel very happy about having my Vic Soldier with me.

IMG_20180903_082548.jpg
* IMG_20180903_082548.jpg (Filesize: 98.78 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04:42 PM
I say that alox is better because you can get dirt and gunk stuck under celidor and nylon scales.  ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 05:10:19 PM
I say that alox is better because you can get dirt and gunk stuck under celidor and nylon scales.  ;)

That would be true except the "Gripper Scales" on the Soldier make a huge difference in the knife not slipping in your hand when wet or when you were gloves.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 01:44:04 AM
I'm not a hunter, but the 111mm series are great outdoors/survival knives.  Can't testify to how well suited for skinning/gutting etc.
If you measure the width of the screws on your firearm I would be happy to measure the screwdriver on any size SAK for you.
But the 111 has the biggest of the drivers, so I'd guess it isn't too small, but could be too wide.
- Steve

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 10:18:51 AM
I'll try to help.  As far as durability of the Soldier for the money is very durable and we'll handle most tasks with no problem just remember it's a folding knife and it's not going to preform as well as a fixed blade at tasks like batoning. The 70 30 serrated blade is a great utility blade and should handle most outdoor tasks.It's week points would be it's not the best at wood carving and it wouldn't be my first choice for dressing game. If you're dressing game and can't use a fixed blade I would recommend a plane edge One Hand Trailmaster.

Assuming that Rifle scope screws are the same as here in the States the SD well fit it fine.

I'll sum up my feeling on the Soldier like this.  If I where in a "survival situation"I would feel very happy about having my Vic Soldier with me.

That was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you kind sir!  :cheers:

My scope is a Cabelas brand scope I bought last time I was in the states (not the best quality scope to be honest), and my dad has a Tasco scope on his rifle, I have a bushnell and an older Tasco scope as well, just not mounted, but yeah screw size wise they all seem to be the same. So should be good.

I'm not a hunter, but the 111mm series are great outdoors/survival knives.  Can't testify to how well suited for skinning/gutting etc.
If you measure the width of the screws on your firearm I would be happy to measure the screwdriver on any size SAK for you.
But the 111 has the biggest of the drivers, so I'd guess it isn't too small, but could be too wide.

I wouldn't be using the knife for skinning/gutting as I have a special kit for that, the knife would mainly be used for bushcraft and small field repairs and adjustments, mainly around a hide or campsite.  :)
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 10:23:40 AM
The cap lifter screwdriver will adjust any rifle scope that I have.
Being a typical SAK style... it will feel gritty pretty fast because the back springs trap dirt and need a good washing to remove. However, if you can shake or rinse out the knife, it will be more of an annoyance than a true handicap.  Should handle water just fine. It takes a long time to make a victorinox knife corrode. So clean, dry, and oil once you get home.... and it'll be just dandy.
I'm not a fan of serrated blades unless working with rope, but that's just me. I have a serrated Skipper and it cuts just fine. It simply isn't my preference for general utility use.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 07:00:59 PM
It occurred to me that I don't have to have your screw dimensions to measure the SAK drivers.
Here's the 91, 93 and 111mm drivers, I make them as 6mm, 7mm, and 8mm wide.
3SD - 1.jpg
* 3SD - 1.jpg (Filesize: 159.73 KB)
- Steve

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 05:32:41 AM
I had a one hand Soldier and it was a great knife. All the tools worked well. Only thing I wished for was a locking feature for the saw. 
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD