Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Drilled-thru pin/rivet to accomodate a shackle/bale?

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Drilled-thru pin/rivet to accomodate a shackle/bale?
on: September 24, 2018, 08:32:46 PM
Fellow SAK enthusiasts,

As far as anyone knows, did Victorinox ever install a bale (ie, shackle) on a Pioneer or other full-sized Alox knife by drilling through the pin/rivet?  I'm thinking usually you see these with hollow rivets that were installed at the factory specifically to accommodate a shackle. 

Here is what I'm talking about:

Thanks,

Myron

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Drilled-thru pin/rivet to accomodate a shackle/bale?
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:51:33 PM
Fellow SAK enthusiasts,

As far as anyone knows, did Victorinox ever install a bale (ie, shackle) on a Pioneer or other full-sized Alox knife by drilling through the pin/rivet?  I'm thinking usually you see these with hollow rivets that were installed at the factory specifically to accommodate a shackle. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks,

Myron

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, exactly, but here's what I've seen:

1) Vic used hollow rivets on the soldier models (with no factory bail).  I don't think these were drilled through, but used hollow pin stock to form them.
2) Wenger used hollow rivets on the SI models (with factory bail).  I don't think these were drilled through, but used hollow pin stock to form them.
3) Vic used solid rivets on the pioneer line for bails, but drilled small divots in them for the bail (this is the style in your pic).  I've attached a pic of one with the bail removed.

* index.jpg (Filesize: 28.2 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:42 PM
Exactly what I was asking, thanks Gus. 

I always assumed when I saw this that it was a modification made by the knife’s owner and not done at the factory. 

Thanks again,

Myron

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 10:38:02 PM
I thought that as well  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:32:30 AM
Fellow SAK enthusiasts,

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks,

Myron

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, exactly, but here's what I've seen:

1) Vic used hollow rivets on the soldier models (with no factory bail).  I don't think these were drilled through, but used hollow pin stock to form them.
2) Wenger used hollow rivets on the SI models (with factory bail).  I don't think these were drilled through, but used hollow pin stock to form them.
3) Vic used solid rivets on the pioneer line for bails, but drilled small divots in them for the bail (this is the style in your pic).  I've attached a pic of one with the bail removed.
Here are hollow and solid rivets for mod.1961 Soldiers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD