Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will my new Spirits pliers loosen up over time?

us Offline mashguy4077

Will my new Spirits pliers loosen up over time?
on: September 25, 2018, 11:10:36 PM
So I just got my brand new Spirit today and the pliers are extra tight. Like they used to much force when they squeezed the 2 halves together.

Also it had kind of a gritty sound I can hear up to my ear when opening and closing it.

I have already oiled it but that made no change. Will it loosen up over time if I keep working it back and forth?

Thanks in advance.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Will my new Spirits pliers loosen up over time?
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:18:33 PM
So I just got my brand new Spirit today and the pliers are extra tight. Like they used to much force when they squeezed the 2 halves together.

Also it had kind of a gritty sound I can hear up to my ear when opening and closing it.

I have already oiled it but that made no change. Will it loosen up over time if I keep working it back and forth?

Thanks in advance.
My spirit nor any other one I have held have been like that. I would consider sending it back if I were you. There shouldn’t really be any grit on any of the tools brand new on a Spirit.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:41:55 PM

Thanks in advance.
My spirit nor any other one I have held have been like that. I would consider sending it back if I were you. There shouldn’t really be any grit on any of the tools brand new on a Spirit.

Agreed!  :tu:

If they were just a little tight, I'd say they'd loosen up, but gritty sounds shouldn't be happening

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 11:45:14 PM
Send them back. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:50:11 PM
THe problem is that it is already a replacement for my old worn out Swisstool.

This one almost every tool on it locks up rock solid. I would be afraid I would get a replacement that had some up and down play in the tools.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:57:55 PM

This one almost every tool on it locks up rock solid. I would be afraid I would get a replacement that had some up and down play in the tools.

In my experience, Spirits lock up better than Swisstool's anyway, so don't worry too much about that. If you have access to an ultrsconic cleaner, that might be worth a try, but otherwise you need to send them in.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:07:53 AM

In my experience, Spirits lock up better than Swisstool's anyway, so don't worry too much about that. If you have access to an ultrsconic cleaner, that might be worth a try, but otherwise you need to send them in.

That’s a great idea on the ultra sonic cleaner. I know my friend used to have one. I will see if he still does :-)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:06 AM
It might be worth trying a very light penetrating oil on the plier pivot (eg nano-oil 5wt), I have loosened up some stiff pliers using this stuff and it has flushed out some gunk on a few of them.  Worth trying if you like the way the rest of the tools work.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 06:23:44 AM
It might be worth trying a very light penetrating oil on the plier pivot (eg nano-oil 5wt), I have loosened up some stiff pliers using this stuff and it has flushed out some gunk on a few of them.  Worth trying if you like the way the rest of the tools work.

I will give that a try tomorrow.

Thank you!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44