Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Have smartphones rendered electronic-scaled-SAKs pointless?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Have smartphones rendered electronic-scaled-SAKs pointless?
Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 05:58:09 PM
I use a pocket torch rather than depleting my phone battery.
I wear a wrist watch, rather than just using my phone.

My Voyager Lite isn't pointless yet  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 06:02:40 PM
My smartphone is a brilliant back-up device for lots of other pieces of equipment: compass, GPS, map, calculator, barometer, TV, radio, camera, clock, computer, e-book, games console, light, landline...  One is none, remember. ;)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:42 PM
:think:
To recap: a phone is able to download maps for offline use, so it doesn’t need a cellular connection if you download the maps.
And a phone connects straight to the gps satellites with its own antenna, so it doesn’t need cellular connection for that either.

You may not need maps (on or offline) to know where you are, but a lat/long coordinate on its own may not be much use to you.
AGPS (Assisted Global Positioning System) uses the phone network and the GPS network together to get a faster position fix.
Offline map will show your position on a map. That is probably enough to decide in what direction you should head.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 08:23:09 PM
No! Go outside a coverage area it’s useless. Towers go down, its useless. Solar flares hit, its useless. I never give up old school, for new. The electronic scales are independent and not tied into a support system like a cell phone.
Well, here you will have coverage almost everywhere, even in the mountains. But then Switzerland is tiny.

Sure, the phone can fail in many situations. On the other hand if it works its like magic to traditional methods. I mean try signaling emergency services with a flag, smoke or a whistle :P. If you have a twisted ankle and you have no reception, chances are still very good that you have to go less distance until you actually can use it go get help. Also, you don't need very good reception to send a SMS. And as others mentioned to get your GPS coordinates you need no net.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 08:29:24 PM
No! Go outside a coverage area it’s useless. Towers go down, its useless. Solar flares hit, its useless. I never give up old school, for new. The electronic scales are independent and not tied into a support system like a cell phone.
Well, here you will have coverage almost everywhere, even in the mountains. But then Switzerland is tiny.

Sure, the phone can fail in many situations. On the other hand if it works its like magic to traditional methods. I mean try signaling emergency services with a flag, smoke or a whistle :P. If you have a twisted ankle and you have no reception, chances are still very good that you have to go less distance until you actually can use it go get help. Also, you don't need very good reception to send a SMS. And as others mentioned to get your GPS coordinates you need no net.
When all else fails, and you are injured, hope you can press the emergency locator beacon on you. It is the number one savings thing you should have on you if you are way out there in the boonies. It does work! Last I heard, over 50% of the people saved were in Alaska alone.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 08:41:26 PM
When all else fails, and you are injured, hope you can press the emergency locator beacon on you. It is the number one savings thing you should have on you if you are way out there in the boonies. It does work! Last I heard, over 50% of the people saved were in Alaska alone.
Someone say Alaska?  :D
If you chop Alaska in half, Texas becomes the third biggest state...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:42:37 PM by Don Pablo »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31