Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar Carry - OldBoy Style

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Rebar Carry - OldBoy Style
on: September 28, 2018, 05:10:17 PM
This post will wander a bit.
I felt sorry about the employees, but when Orchard Supply had an out of business sale I recently grabbed the Rebar as low as it can go before it disappeared ($47, initially 5% off, then 10, 15, etc.)), I was eyeing this and the Rebar Heritage in Lowes ($45) and decided it was worth the few bucks to get the nylon sheath. Believe me I hustled out of the driveway when it went down 20%.
I plan to use this for hiking and knew from experience that the leather sheath was a bit heavier and higher maintenance (for me at least, I would have babied the leather to keep it's shine!!). I've tried using my other MTs and also based on everyone's wonderful input in this forum I knew the Rebar would be perfect as I needed something minimal but heavy duty.

I really really like it! I've been house carrying it to get a feel for it and have fixed my son's desk already as well as some minor tasks. Handle movements is stiff, already bit the web between thumb and finger and drew blood but it will loosen up in time. Loosened slightly when I lubed it. If anything what does bother me is the slight play in the tools at lock up. Not used to having the Phillips jiggle a bit when I use it. My other MTs (Wave, Gerber MP600) have the same thing but a lesser degree. But I feel that the tools are still secure. All in all a great purchase and a wonderful tool.

If anyone has any feedback on the tool play please feel free to share.

Anyways the pic shows how I will carry this. Once I go hiking I'll probably modify further, maybe even just go back to it's original state.

I prefer scout carry as it stays out of the way when I crouch or sit so I put vertical paracords and tied them around the original strap. From there I can turn the sheath sideways and slip my belt through the paracord. An easy draw with either hand. The red plastic straw has a short chain inside with both ends looped in to the paracords. That's to keep the paracord straps separate and not bunch together on my belt.

I nested the CRKT Viva underneath the entire strap arrangement. It's been there secure and snug and relatively easy to pull out. I kept it there as I didn't want to cram it in the sheath and fall out when I pull out the Rebar.

I had a broken Swiss Card clone with decent scissors. So I salvaged the scissors and cut a large diameter straw to length as a sheath. This goes into the sheath with the Rebar with that sharp bottom holding it in place inside the sheath so it doesn't fall out when I use the tool. If you like the straw you can get them Asian restaurants that sell Bolba ice tea. I live in California so the food is really diverse.

Lastly I noticed that the side seam of the sheath was not heat sealed, so I threaded 3 zip ties for future use.

To be honest, I don't think I need the Viva and scissors so I may just remove it. Like I said I wanted to go light and minimal. The zip tie mod I will definitely keep, I've had to use them before to secure poles and such and I barely notice it in the sheath.

Well, hopefully you enjoyed my post. This is my first time I shared my carry and obviously I am not a professional photographer. I also have my office carry and emergency kits I can show sometime in the future. I appreciate everyone's interest on whoever clicked on this.

Have a great weekend!!
Rebar.jpg
* Rebar.jpg (Filesize: 77.08 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Rebar Carry - OldBoy Style
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:29:24 PM
Great write up  :tu: Thanks for taking the time to write this  and hope the Rebar serves you well  :salute: :like:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 11:32:01 PM
Great write up  :tu: Thanks for taking the time to write this  and hope the Rebar serves you well  :salute: :like:

Thank you Sir. I actually fiddled around some more and took the straw out and used the Viva as the separator.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 11:34:39 PM
Good post and pic mate.   :tu:   :like:

I also quite like using horizontal carry. Scissors check, PM2 check, flashlight?

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:42:17 PM
Good post and pic mate.   :tu:   :like:

I also quite like using horizontal carry. Scissors check, PM2 check, flashlight?

Thanks!!! For hiking I use a headlamp 😀

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 08:03:44 AM
Nice setup!

I had a Rebar once (which was stolen from my rucksack by some smurfhole  :poh: ) and I loved it a lot! Don't remember any tools having any play, frankly... This was maybe 4 years ago, so the LM manufacturing quality may have changed in the mean time maybe... :think: :think: :shrug:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 11:14:58 AM
Nice carry option OldBoy2016 :like:

For things that don't easily pocket carry I also prefer horizontal carry in most situations, like when on the road. First time I've heard it referred to as 'scout carry' though ;). Either that, or vertical but with relatively easily removable options such as a Skinth's metal belt clip... or a Molle attachment. (Yes, afraid to unintentionally drop my pants  :rofl:). I've converted a large LM sheath that has horizontal carry, meant for the Surge or ST300, for use with Wave-sized tools.

Re tool play, can't say I can confirm it on my Rebars, but then again I've worked on them. Maybe the tool pivots are just a bit loose. If that applies, the knurled pivot heads can be undone (best way to do this is with fellow forum member loki-mobile's wrenches) and re-tightened with some loctite to your heart's desires.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 04:18:33 PM
Thanks for everyone’s input!! Well maybe I got “lucky” on the tool play. I’ve been meaning to get Loki’s wrenches.
So far it’s not bothersome so I am on the fence. Just never experienced it before and I thought someone mention the same thing on the Rebar club thread.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%