Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Project: Hobby Desk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Project: Hobby Desk
Reply #150 on: October 15, 2018, 11:41:13 AM
Al, remember, everyone thinks they sound weird through a microphone.  :pok: I thought I sounded like a squeaky annoying guy. :D  And most of them are wrong.
Why not upload a little demo clip?

It wasn't so much the playback, as just talking to an audience that wasn't there yet  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #151 on: October 15, 2018, 01:48:08 PM
Think of it as warm up. :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #152 on: October 15, 2018, 03:35:29 PM
I watched the video.  Glad you made it.  I think a script would make talking for the video flow better.  For any good video production set the parameters before hand so you know you're always in frame without relying on the viewfinder.  Music is always something viewers either like or not.  I didn't love the combination.  I always appreciate a speed up when something repetitious takes place.  We get the gist of whats happening while not needing to see the whole process.

While many comments are regarding his voice his channel is popular and has grown.  He gives some good tips IMO. 

Show content
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #153 on: October 15, 2018, 03:41:16 PM
Ok, I’m set.
The men’s three must needs at all times, knife, flashlight, and duct tape!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #154 on: October 15, 2018, 03:44:27 PM
Slick set up.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #155 on: October 15, 2018, 04:06:43 PM
  :iagree:
But it makes me realise that I need to find a way to reclaim my trusty Ti3 light from my sister. :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #156 on: October 15, 2018, 04:41:13 PM
But it makes me realise that I need to find a way to reclaim my trusty Ti3 light from my sister. :facepalm:

Let her keep it.  Get another so you both are covered  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #157 on: October 15, 2018, 04:43:47 PM
I watched the video.  Glad you made it.  I think a script would make talking for the video flow better.  For any good video production set the parameters before hand so you know you're always in frame without relying on the viewfinder.  Music is always something viewers either like or not.  I didn't love the combination.  I always appreciate a speed up when something repetitious takes place.  We get the gist of whats happening while not needing to see the whole process.

While many comments are regarding his voice his channel is popular and has grown.  He gives some good tips IMO. 

Show content

Many thanks for the feedback  :hatsoff: interesting video too  :tu:

Yes, there's much to learn from that first outing. In a way i'm glad it was so far off the mark, as that's a kick in the derriere to get some improvements made. Framing was better than I expected, but lighting, white balancing, editing, and sound choices all need serious work.

I did try scripting the commentary, but the discomfort of doing it at all made any benefits irrelevant. Hopefully that will ease though, and i'll get a bit desensitised to it.

As my vids won't be reviews, but modding vids, very often there'll only be one chance to get it right, and then that little part of the job is done. As such, I need to accept that at least in this early stage, my clips will be significantly inferior to others. I'm not out to make a "commercial" channel though, as I wouldn't be able to produce vids frequently enough for a start, but if I can make them enjoyable for you guys (and not have 90 seconds of turning a bolt), i'll call that a win for now  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #158 on: October 15, 2018, 04:44:59 PM
Think of it as warm up. :think:

Yeah, I think I just need to keep doing it until I feel more comfortable with it.  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #159 on: October 15, 2018, 04:45:05 PM

Let her keep it.  Get another so you both are covered  :salute:
:salute: already have plans along those lines. :tu:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #160 on: October 15, 2018, 04:46:20 PM
You can always voice over later.  This way you can redo any issues or explanations without a reshoot. 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #161 on: October 15, 2018, 04:49:41 PM
You can always voice over later.  This way you can redo any issues or explanations without a reshoot.
Or do multiple takes of the parts where you speak?  :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #162 on: October 15, 2018, 04:52:49 PM
You can add text to the video in addition to voice over when you want/need to point something out and not want to completely redo.

Beginning is the hard part and you've done that.  Fine tuning will occur over time.  Like I said, I'm glad you've begun and look forward to the next video.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #163 on: October 15, 2018, 04:56:31 PM
Or do multiple takes of the parts where you speak?  :think:

If it's something that I can repeat, such as describing what I'm about to do, or explaining the prep work, I don't mind talking having live audio - in fact overlaying it after would be a nightmare - but for anything that can't be repeated, such as grinding, drilling, or whatever, I'll worry about the audio later.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: October 15, 2018, 04:57:18 PM
You can add text to the video in addition to voice over when you want/need to point something out and not want to completely redo.

Beginning is the hard part and you've done that.  Fine tuning will occur over time.  Like I said, I'm glad you've begun and look forward to the next video.   

Thanks buddy  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #165 on: October 15, 2018, 04:58:22 PM

Yeah, that's the plan. Means I don't have to worry about working both my mouth and fingers at the same time  :rofl:

Some of them will be "live" commentary, but any actually modding work will have the audio added later  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #166 on: October 15, 2018, 05:03:53 PM
Sean Bean,  I like that guy.   Such a good actor.  This is a fun interview of him talking about why he always gets killed off in his movies.   

Show content
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #167 on: October 20, 2018, 10:06:20 PM
I rebuilt the lamp today, with the new G4 lamp holder that dropped through the letterbox this morning. (Cybertool  I tested it, and there's juice where there needs to be, and none where it doesn't... but both bulbs are shot, so I've got to wait for replacements of those now...

:facepalm:

*sigh*

We'll get there eventually  ::)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #168 on: October 20, 2018, 10:17:49 PM
If it makes you feel better I haven’t touched/done anything in my little hole in the wall since that tape keychain,, :-\
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #169 on: October 20, 2018, 10:36:40 PM
Well, I did that mod for Chris, and the crappy video attempt, and nothing since. Not tested the new machine. Not proof tested the concept for the mods. Nothing  :-\ I'll feel better when I get one (successful) thing made for me, and a half decent vid up on the tube.  :tu: my eyeballs haven't been working properly these last couple of days anyway, so to be honest I wouldn't have gotten anything done even if the lamp was working.  :-[

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #170 on: October 21, 2018, 06:50:31 AM

:tu: still :popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #171 on: October 24, 2018, 12:04:02 AM
Did a little something on my workstation, I broke out the sewing machine to make a unique pillow, I’ve been reading at night an kinda needed a little something to hold the book up, they have special pillows but their freaking expensive! Anyway, here’s what I came up with..
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #172 on: October 24, 2018, 12:08:52 AM
Cunning use of old jeans  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #173 on: October 24, 2018, 12:22:51 AM
Cunning use of old jeans  :tu:
The pant legs were just sitting in the storage closet,
Just had to cut the end off, stitch it, flip it, pack it, stitch it, pack the other end, and stitch it, all done.. only took like 3hrs.. and of course since I had the sewing stuff out other things needed to be done..
JR

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #174 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:04 AM
 :like: Very cool, JR!

AI,
Hope your eyes start cooperating soon. I am very shortsighted and can sympathize with bouts of vision not being 'correct.' Sometimes I get peripheral flashes as well. If I were superstitious, I might think that I was seeing ghosts. :ahhh

In the time being, we need to get JR making some how-to videos of the cool little "life hacks" he has been doing. :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #175 on: October 24, 2018, 01:37:35 AM
Thanks buddy, :salute:

I'm short sighted too, but the brainstem is the main problem, rather than the eyes themselves. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to get both eyes coordinated, and even when they are, each eye is prone to double vision, colour flashes, shadows, peripheral distractions, and other stuff that's more to do with wiring and processor faults, rather than the sensors themselves. It also screws up balance, coordination, thinking, communication.... basically, every day is a lottery as to which bits of me work, and for how long  :D

I've still yet to get shelves screwed to the wall, to give me scope for keeping crap out of the way. Hopefully by next week, i'll be able to have a play with the little machine, and make a start on some scales for the little RSK Mk5. I've been itching to make a start for ages now, but thing keep cropping up to delay things  ::)

I'll get there eventually  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #176 on: October 24, 2018, 01:54:25 AM
Err, me and video cameras don’t mix,  :cry:
JR

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #177 on: October 24, 2018, 03:07:56 AM
Thanks buddy, :salute:

I'm short sighted too, but the brainstem is the main problem, rather than the eyes themselves. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to get both eyes coordinated, and even when they are, each eye is prone to double vision, colour flashes, shadows, peripheral distractions, and other stuff that's more to do with wiring and processor faults, rather than the sensors themselves. It also screws up balance, coordination, thinking, communication.... basically, every day is a lottery as to which bits of me work, and for how long  :D

I've still yet to get shelves screwed to the wall, to give me scope for keeping crap out of the way. Hopefully by next week, i'll be able to have a play with the little machine, and make a start on some scales for the little RSK Mk5. I've been itching to make a start for ages now, but thing keep cropping up to delay things  ::)

I'll get there eventually  :tu:
:cheers:

JR

Uh huh. :pok: :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #178 on: October 24, 2018, 04:02:11 AM

JR

Uh huh. :pok: :D
Seriously, I hate being recorded, back in the day I hated just having my pic taken, some of my old pics you can see the look in my face like, OMG seriously, why?
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #179 on: December 06, 2018, 11:38:27 PM
Well after all the effort in getting this set up, I'm now stripping it all down again  :rant:

It was just when things started getting sorted that I learned the court date for one of my long running personal battles to be resolved. After that, I will probably need to relocate, and then start another long running battle (phase two of the current one). So rather than wait for the court case to conclude and then have major chaos over the festive period, I've started packing up already.

So there's going to be lots of boxes of nice goodies this christmas, but it will all be stuff I already own  :D

I'll probably be quiet for a while while all this goes through, and I'll not now "if" "where" or when" for some time, but need to be ready for when it all kicks off. I just hope I end up somewhere where I can get this project back running again.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD