Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Project: Hobby Desk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Project: Hobby Desk
Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 12:10:31 AM
Thanks buddy  :cheers:

Just don't be getting me in trouble with Sabrina, if you get ideas of expanding your little domain from this thread :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 12:44:30 AM

Just don't be getting me in trouble with Sabrina, if you get ideas of expanding your little domain from this thread :D
Lol, well I did kinda get a new toy today :whistle:
Me and the little guy hit a few tagsales and I found a Flexible Shaft Rotary Tool, kinda like a Dremel, but a little more umph, heck it was only $4.. heck the case she threw I alone was more..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 01:21:56 AM

Me and the little guy hit a few tagsales and I found a Flexible Shaft Rotary Tool, kinda like a Dremel, but a little more umph, heck it was only $4.. heck the case she threw I alone was more..
JR

:tu: that looks useful mate.

Does it take dremel tools... and have you got any? :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 01:56:13 AM

JR

:tu: that looks useful mate.

Does it take dremel tools... and have you got any? :D
I’m guessing it will, it has a mini adjustable chuck just like a drill just smaller, yet it doesn’t have a key, but I don’t think you can cheat by squeezing the chuck with your hand and reving the drill to tighten or loosen,
   I do have a Dremel with a few tools, here’s my little setup, all in one box including a workstation!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 02:08:27 AM
Excellent. At least you've got something to use with it. I'd track down a mini chuck key if I was you, relying on that engine to do it will probably end in tears... yours :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 02:14:15 AM
Very nice so far, 50ft!  :like:

You are inspiring me to do something with mine. All my stuff is where I sat it when I first got it. And like yours, it got chaotic very quickly. I have some divider cubbies sitting on the floor right now and that would be perfect for sorting some of the rotary tool stuff.
I have a couple days off Mon and Tue, so might have to make my workbenches practical once more. It'll be like the Phoenix Rising to get them sorted. :facepalm:

I like how you are thinking through what you need with it as well. I have kicked myself for bolting a second vise to the same table for eons(it looked cool though), so that would be a good starting point (to make the secondary vise removable). :)

Cheers, 50ft!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: September 30, 2018, 02:21:27 AM
Excellent. At least you've got something to use with it. I'd track down a mini chuck key if I was you, relying on that engine to do it will probably end in tears... yours :D
Probably, especially when the Mrs cleans it with alcohol! I’ll have to give it a good look down tomorrow, of corse after giving it a good cleaning, but the Mrs wants to do something and the little guy wants to break down my old r/c cars especially now since he’s in robotics. But he’s wanted at them for ages.
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: September 30, 2018, 03:03:37 AM
I like how you are thinking through what you need with it as well. I have kicked myself for bolting a second vise to the same table for eons(it looked cool though), so that would be a good starting point (to make the secondary vise removable). :)

I'm a bugger for overplanning stuff. Always have been. Some of the mods that I'm hoping to do, are stuff I've been thinking about for years. Seriously, four or five years in some cases. Also, I don't just want it to be a modding bench. I want to be able to do leatherwork, or dabble with artsy stuff, or even do paperwork or use my laptop there, so it needs to still be usable as a desk. There's going to be a lot of function happening in a very small space, and it does take thought to ensure the versatility... but having designed a narrowboat interior, I'm quite used to that  :D

It also gives me a reason to sort through all my tools. Since I got ill, everything has just sat there unused, and it makes good sense to sort what I can use from what I can't, and decide whether to sell the stuff that's too heavy for me now, or whether I can repurpose it in some way. There's other stuff just lurking too (that back bedroom is a dumping ground for stuff), and as I need more space, it's forcing me to deal with stuff that's just (metaphorically) festering away.

Good to hear it's motivating for you. I hoped it might get motivating later on, but didn't expect anyone to catch the bug quite so quick  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: September 30, 2018, 04:31:34 AM
Thanks, 50ft! :cheers:

Ehh, spent some time working on the two main spaces. What a mess.  :facepalm:

I'll do some more Monday. That little bit wore me out. I did clean two of them off, but only did some minor rearranging. :ahhh

I hope your project is going well, 50ft!  :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: September 30, 2018, 04:56:01 AM
Looking good 50!  I like that you are keeping it a multipurpose works space.  When the mood strikes you can do leather or mod or whatever.  I am inspired yet I'd like to plan mine out as well.  I've got a ways to go yet.  Ahh where to begin?  I see this thread has inspired a few of us  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: September 30, 2018, 12:31:12 PM
Thanks guys. If you feel like throwing up some pics of your own workspaces, go for it  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: September 30, 2018, 10:28:54 PM
The desk area is a long way from finished, but at least it's now functional. I had a little mod to do from my sales thread, and this will be going out to its new owner tomorrow.
IMG_20180930_212513_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20180930_212513_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 67.48 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: September 30, 2018, 10:48:37 PM
Tomorrow, I've got to clear it all of completely, and catch up on some important paperwork - or at least start it. I've been spending too long doing other things, and there's probably a few days work for me, depending how well the brain is functioning.

Also... I need all your input on something...

I've thought about trying to do vids of the mods, which means smurfing around with YouTool, even though I hate anything associated with the parasitic little turds that own it. But this got me thinking about titles and such like...

You see, I don't go by the name of 50ft-trad everywhere, and I'm on another forum (a shaving forum) under the old name I've used online for many years before being 50ft-trad - AimlessWanderer. I no longer have a boat, so the 50ft-trad name isn't really relevant to me anymore, but even though I used AimlessWanderer before I developed a balance disorder, and the other neurological issues (it was more a reflection of life philosophy), it does seem even more apt now :)

So do I just use that name there (if I go ahead with it) or do I use it here too?

... and how much of a PITA is YouTool to use... or is there any other options for embedding vid clips on the forum?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #43 on: September 30, 2018, 11:49:42 PM
Uploading clips to the ‘tube is fairly painless once you find the upload button.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:42 AM
Yeah, I have provisionally set up a channel, just to secure the name, and you don't seem to get a lot of controls. I noticed there was no log out button  ::) but that didn't stop me clearing my cookies and rebooting my router...

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 01:10:18 AM
Yeah, I have provisionally set up a channel, just to secure the name, and you don't seem to get a lot of controls. I noticed there was no log out button  ::) but that didn't stop me clearing my cookies and rebooting my router...

Click on your icon (top right) and it's the fifth one down
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 01:41:33 AM

Click on your icon (top right) and it's the fifth one down

I was logged in on my phone and didn't see it, so now I know one exists, I'll only log in from my laptop now.  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 01, 2018, 02:24:27 AM
Whatever you feel is the most applicable preference of username seems to always be a good direction to take with new usernames. 'AimlessWanderer' would be easier to remember for potential viewers of the videos. To me, personally, that username would be hard to forget. That's a good thing.  :cheers:

Good luck with the paperwork, 50ft!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: October 01, 2018, 02:55:10 AM
Whatever you feel is the most applicable preference of username seems to always be a good direction to take with new usernames. 'AimlessWanderer' would be easier to remember for potential viewers of the videos. To me, personally, that username would be hard to forget. That's a good thing.  :cheers:

Good luck with the paperwork, 50ft!

Thanks GLBM  :salute:

Just there, or here too?

I thought about changing the name here when I sold the boat, but as I wasn't using different names on multiple sites, it didn't seem necessary, so I never bothered. However, now it might be more relevant, particularly if anyone viewing a vid on YouTool comes here looking for my posts (I plan on disabling comments on my videos, and directing them to MTO (or wherever the project is relevant to) for comments and discussion instead. If I'm AimlessWanderer there but not here, it might get confusing for them.

On the flip side, it might be confusing to people here, after being 50ft for so many years...  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 03:11:59 AM
So far the most frustrating part of the storage puzzle, is the issue of small tools. Here (in the attached pic) are just a few of what I want to hand. I think the pin punches and small files should be in a simple rack - a lump of wood with holes drilled in, but there are many more things that i'd prefer to have within arms reach. I'm still not quite sure how to square that circle.

For general storage, and space to put the drill press, I dragged my coffee table up from downstairs, and dug out a shelving unit which wasn't being utilised. That should round the area off nicely I think, though I do need to check the drill press has the space it needs with the shelving unit there, but that was enough heavy lifting for one day.

If that works, I need to get some brackets, and fix those shelves to the wall on a "good health day", as even though it's quite a sturdy table, I think a drill press and full shelving unit will be pushing it somewhat.
IMG_20181001_015643_edit_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20181001_015643_edit_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 76.78 KB)
IMG_20181001_020222_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20181001_020222_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 58.1 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: October 01, 2018, 03:59:26 AM
Looking good! :tu:
Me and the little guy started with the r/c cars, and since we found another table for dinning he got to other table for working on :whistle:
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 04:10:25 AM

Thanks GLBM  :salute:

Just there, or here too?

I thought about changing the name here when I sold the boat, but as I wasn't using different names on multiple sites, it didn't seem necessary, so I never bothered. However, now it might be more relevant, particularly if anyone viewing a vid on YouTool comes here looking for my posts (I plan on disabling comments on my videos, and directing them to MTO (or wherever the project is relevant to) for comments and discussion instead. If I'm AimlessWanderer there but not here, it might get confusing for them.

On the flip side, it might be confusing to people here, after being 50ft for so many years...  :think:
Ya know, that is a good way to look at the question. Honestly, I think most of us would get used to you changing your username eventually, but it would definitely be confusing to members who don't check-in often. :think:
Perhaps '50ft Aimless Wanderer' would suffice as an alternative option to the username conundrum? It hearkens back to the current username and simultaneously connects the 'Aimless Wanderer' Youtube channel and the 50ft-trad name used here(think of it like dual-inclusion).

Seems like you have it going on with the workspace.  :like:

I did a little more cleaning this morning and am excited about having some workspace(I am going to shamelessly take you up on the offer to post our inspired-workspace photos here). :woohoo:
20180929_210729.jpeg
* 20180929_210729.jpeg (Filesize: 122.06 KB)
20180929_210750.jpeg
* 20180929_210750.jpeg (Filesize: 144.52 KB)
20180929_212227.jpeg
* 20180929_212227.jpeg (Filesize: 90.22 KB)
20180929_212242.jpeg
* 20180929_212242.jpeg (Filesize: 104.81 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: October 01, 2018, 05:25:21 AM
Good looking workspace  :tu: Looks like you've got a decent bit of kit in there too, including a fair few tapping bats as well :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: October 01, 2018, 05:26:13 AM
Looks nice glbm. Hey have you ever worked with one of those motor things I posted a few posts back?
JR

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 01, 2018, 08:44:37 AM
Good looking workspace  :tu: Looks like you've got a decent bit of kit in there too, including a fair few tapping bats as well :D
Thank you,  50ft! :salute:

Looks nice glbm. Hey have you ever worked with one of those motor things I posted a few posts back?
JR
My father has a rotary tool like the one you posted, but his is much older. I am not familiar with the chuck and key system I am seeing there.

Could you post a photo 'head on' of the chuck assembly?

My older model Black and Decker rotary tool has the transformer and speed pot in the case you see on the top right in the photo with the cubbies. The wire goes to the motor assembly and chuck, but it has a keyless chuck and lock pin to stop the spindle from rotating. My backup rotaries are in the toolbox (corded and cordless).

I would like to have a hangup motor rotary tool at some point, but I haven't had the need for the higher torque and RPMs yet.
If I had one, I'd keep it plugged into the Variac(variable transformer) for some speed control. I have a bad habit of letting rotary bit jump all over the place at high speed. :ahhh
That Porter Cable rotary tool looks to be very good, JR.  :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 01, 2018, 09:21:51 AM
You guys are so lucky with all the space... This little makeshift desk is all I have for thinking and fittings... The filing and cutting work have to be done outside of the house in the common area... Shared with a lazy neighbourhood cat...
Screenshot_20181001_152003.jpg
* Screenshot_20181001_152003.jpg (Filesize: 103.04 KB)
IMG_20180830_151834-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20180830_151834-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 103.05 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 12:05:48 PM
Until recently, Sam, all my mods were done on a tray while sat in an armchair, or sat at the kitchen table. For drilling and cutting, I had go go outside and clamp stuff to the garden fence for a bit of stability, and peening was done on the doorstep. So I'm certainly familiar with building in limited space.  :D :cheers:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:07 PM
Until recently, Sam, all my mods were done on a tray while sat in an armchair, or sat at the kitchen table. For drilling and cutting, I had go go outside and clamp stuff to the garden fence for a bit of stability, and peening was done on the doorstep. So I'm certainly familiar with building in limited space.  :D :cheers:

Every thing u did sounds ultra familiar...  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:56 PM
Perhaps just stay "50ft-trad" on here (as changing may confuse a lot of MTO members) and put (or link) Aimless Wanderer on your signature.

If I do need more rigidity, all I need to do is throw on a G cramp to lock it down.
:salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 01, 2018, 12:37:52 PM
Perhaps just stay "50ft-trad" on here (as changing may confuse a lot of MTO members) and put (or link) Aimless Wanderer on your signature.

If I do need more rigidity, all I need to do is throw on a G cramp to lock it down.
:salute:

... that was probably my phone being "helpful"  ::) I was typing earlier, and noticed that it completely dropped three whole words from earlier in the sentence...  :dunno:

Thanks for the name change feedback  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44