Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rice and Beans and a badge request

Nix · 27 · 2655

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Rice and Beans and a badge request
on: September 29, 2018, 06:55:06 PM
By now, you guys probably know I like to cook. Most of my 30-day challenges are peppered (sorry, couldn't resist.  :facepalm:) with cooking dishes at home. I'm a bit less creative when I got out camping or hiking. Often I just munch some jerky or trail mix or a snack bar.

But man cannot live by snack bars alone, or at least not for long and still maintain the will to eat. So I offer up this humble go to recipe and technique for your consideration:

1/2 cup Instant Rice
1/2 cup dehydrated refried beans
1 big pinch chili powder
1 small pinch salt or 1/2 teaspoon chicken bullion powder
2 cups boiling water

Mix the dry ingredients together in an insulating bowl. Add hot water. Let sit for 3-5 minutes to rehydrate. (Even better simmer on your stove for a couple of minutes.)

Obviously, some substitutions could be made. I occasionally mix up a batch of Cajun Seasoning, and this is even better in this dish. Beef or Vegetable bullion powder works, too.
And, one can make additions if they are available: cut up cured sausage, cut up veggies, even some cheese. I tend not to have these things with me, but I know they would work nicely.
A little hot sauce can kick this up, too.

I buy the rice and the dehydrated beans in bulk at a local natural food store, then package the mixture of rice, beans, and spices in zip-lock bags before a trip.

I was out camping a few days ago and took a few bags of this mix with me. Easy to make with a small camp stove:

The stove here is a tiny BRS burner. (Amazon: BRS) It is ridiculously light and small, but it has worked for me quite reliably and is darned cheap. It's the sort of thing I think about keeping in the car with a canister of isobutane for an impromptu cup of tea.

I use my foam seat pad as a wind break and small heat shield, I think it helps the performance of this little stove. The silicone bowl is light and can be squashed down, so it takes up little space. It is a fair insulator. Not great, but better than my metal cup.

While the rice and beans were rehydrating with warm water, I use the foam seat pad to cover the bowl, adds a little insulation and serves as a wind break.

I should add that the fuel canister, stove, bic lighter, and small silicone bowl all fit in the metal cup. The metal cup nests in the large silicone bowl, and the whole kit fits in that small blue stuff sack. It makes a really small, light, and versatile cooking kit. I could omit the small silicone cup/bowl, but I enjoy using it, so I bring it along. (Amazon: Guyot Silicone bowl set)

This meal is cheap, easy, and pretty tasty. It's easy to adjust to suit individual tastes. I'm thinking of going with some curry powder next outing for a South Asian vibe. Hope you guys enjoy it, if you give it a shot.  :tu:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:04:17 PM by Nix »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Rice and Beans and a badge
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:42:05 PM
Excellent post Nix.  :salute: What about some cumin in there... or is that just wrong?

Edit: What the smurf, there isn't a single knife or tool in either of those pics!?!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:43:31 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:00:17 PM
In the recipe above, I mentioned using a pinch of Cajun seasoning in the rice and beans. While there are myriad rice and bean dishes around the world, when I hear 'rice and beans' my mind instantly conjures up image of the iconic New Orleans dish 'Red beans and Rice'. So a big pinch of this stuff works really well for beans and rice. And just about anything else.  :D

The recipe below is based off a recipe from New Orleans Chef Donnie Link. I've tweaked it a tad to suit my palate, but I think it is still pretty true to Cajun cuisine. Make it in small batches so  it stays fresh. Store in an airtight jar, preferably in a cool dark spot. I keep some in a little plastic jar that can go camping or traveling.

Humbly, I offer my take on a Cajun seasoning blend:

4 Tablespoons chili powder (I use my own blend, but a good commercial blend should do nicely here.)
2 Tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon ground white pepper
1 Tablespoon dried garlic powder
1 Tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried onion powder

I grind the peppercorns in a little grinder, then add the other stuff and grind it all together. I've found cayenne pepper in two different heat ratings; I use the milder version to accommodate Mrs Nix's tolerance. You could also lower the cayenne and up the paprika a bit. But, let's face it, Cajun cuisine is known for having a bit of kick. I also prefer using smoked paprika for an interesting little back note, but sweet is probably great here.

This mix can be used in all sorts of way, think of it as the multitool of the spice rack: great for grilled chicken or pork, works wonderfully for fried Perch, adds spice to scrambled eggs, super for soups and stews, sprinkle on corn on the cob, and perfect for rice and beans.

This stuff will keep you smiling, virile, and strong. Definitely worth trying a batch.  :tu:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:02:36 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:01:22 PM
Excellent post Nix.  :salute: What about some cumin in there... or is that just wrong?

Edit: What the smurf, there isn't a single knife or tool in either of those pics!?!

Cumin for sure: there is cumin in the chili powder. (And that then ends up in my Cajun spice mix.  ;))

And there is a spork in one shot.  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Re: Rice and Beans and a badge request
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:21:47 PM
that looks great
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:33:40 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 09:37:36 PM
Thanks, Z.   :hatsoff:   :cheers:

True to my word, I made a grilled ham and cheese sandwich for lunch. I sprinkled the ham with the Cajun seasoning mix. It was awesome!   :tu:

Hope you guys try the Cajun spice mix, even if rice and beans isn't your thing.   :tu:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 09:45:24 PM

Cumin for sure: there is cumin in the chili powder. (And that then ends up in my Cajun spice mix.  ;))

And there is a spork in one shot.  :tu:

Ah, I've got you.  :tu:

Spork?... Spork doesn't count... especially from you of all people Nix!  :facepalm:

Excellent thread by the way.  :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 09:50:21 PM
We'll give it a go. The girls and I were discussing meal options yesterday over lunch (chili soup and noodles) while sheltering under a tarp from the norwester dust storm. They have a couple weeks off school atm so we'll be out and about exploring.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 10:08:43 PM
 :cheers:   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 10:10:06 PM

Spork?... Spork doesn't count... especially from you of all people Nix!  :facepalm:

Well, does the ginormous kukri count?

The sunlight catches it at a better angle in this shot:

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 11:05:09 PM
nice kuk

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 12:04:49 AM
Nice one Nix  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 12:10:37 AM
 :cheers:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 12:13:36 AM

Well, does the ginormous kukri count?

The sunlight catches it at a better angle in this shot:

(Image removed from quote.)

What happened to it, did you strike it down while battoning and it became more powerful than you could possibly imagine?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 12:21:47 AM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 12:27:46 AM
Well, like most kukris, it's a powerful yet subtle tool. 

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 12:48:13 AM
 :2tu:  :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 11:12:49 AM
actually which Kukri is that?

and what would happen if you were to add some beef jerky to this recipe?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 08:25:03 PM
Curry and southwest seasoning are my goto's to spice something up..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 11:19:51 PM
In the recipe above, I mentioned using a pinch of Cajun seasoning in the rice and beans. While there are myriad rice and bean dishes around the world, when I hear 'rice and beans' my mind instantly conjures up image of the iconic New Orleans dish 'Red beans and Rice'. So a big pinch of this stuff works really well for beans and rice. And just about anything else.  :D

The recipe below is based off a recipe from New Orleans Chef Donnie Link. I've tweaked it a tad to suit my palate, but I think it is still pretty true to Cajun cuisine. Make it in small batches so  it stays fresh. Store in an airtight jar, preferably in a cool dark spot. I keep some in a little plastic jar that can go camping or traveling.

(Image removed from quote.)

Humbly, I offer my take on a Cajun seasoning blend:

4 Tablespoons chili powder (I use my own blend, but a good commercial blend should do nicely here.)
2 Tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon ground white pepper
1 Tablespoon dried garlic powder
1 Tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried onion powder

I grind the peppercorns in a little grinder, then add the other stuff and grind it all together. I've found cayenne pepper in two different heat ratings; I use the milder version to accommodate Mrs Nix's tolerance. You could also lower the cayenne and up the paprika a bit. But, let's face it, Cajun cuisine is known for having a bit of kick. I also prefer using smoked paprika for an interesting little back note, but sweet is probably great here.

This mix can be used in all sorts of way, think of it as the multitool of the spice rack: great for grilled chicken or pork, works wonderfully for fried Perch, adds spice to scrambled eggs, super for soups and stews, sprinkle on corn on the cob, and perfect for rice and beans.

This stuff will keep you smiling, virile, and strong. Definitely worth trying a batch.  :tu:

I have similar mix that gets used at home & camping.  To addd extra heat I'll grind up a 1/4 teaspoon of those pepper flakes and seeds that are used to shake on to pizza.  If I am seasoning something greasy I'll use lemon pepper instead of black pepper.  I use my spice mix on all sorts of things.  Mix it with catsup, agave nectar and apple vinegar for hot & sweet sauce. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 11:58:22 PM
Sounds great!   :like:

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 03:39:04 AM
Sounds great!   :like:

Salt and pepper are for people with no imagination.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 04:10:37 AM
 :rofl:

(I couldn’t survive without my chiles)

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 01:40:34 PM
:rofl:

(I couldn’t survive without my chiles)

I guess you had better pack them in your personal survival kit then. :D

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 03:50:39 AM
Excellent post and photos...and that magical Kukri  :tu:
Congratulations on your badge even though I’m late to the party  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 03:52:24 AM
And awl the rice and beans have been eaten............  :-\

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 03:55:59 AM
And awl the rice and beans have been eaten............  :-\

When you get to cooking, you can’t even be an hour late! Great food never lasts  :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%