Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tell people they matter.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: Tell people they matter.
Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 10:32:47 AM
I want to kill somebody, I want to take my hands, put it around their necks and squeeze the life out of them.

Not for what was done to me, but for the affect it's had on my parents, I've watched them age before my eyes in the last two months, and for the unfair and inconsiderate manner it was done, and the effect it had.....yes, I feel like ending somebody.

I know that depression and anger, the caged animal variety, are bedfellows.  Thankfully I'm not badly depressed, but I am severely stressed, and I'm running on a very short fuse.

I've verbally lashed out at the constant and unanswerable questions from the ones I loved the most, but the one person I anticipate I'll miss the most someday soon.......that person I can't talk to and say what I need to say.......with an apology, a thank you, an I love you and many other things worked in there.......

I'm sad to say my best friend is in the same boat, even worse in fact, so at least I have somebody to talk to.

Powerfully told... Both your parents? That's incredibly hard. Respect for telling us. :salute:

A vaguely similar experience I had pales in comparison with yours, but I still have regrets because of it. It involved my dad just before he rather suddenly passed. With hindsight I might have felt it coming. The phone conversation on the occasion of his last birthday just before he passed (we lived in different countries) was eerily superficial - his replies were strangely noncommittal, and didn't invite any deeper questions. Only later, I heard from my mom that he'd seemingly lost the appetite for life. The body was degrading more quickly than the mind, and the mind apparently not willing to take it anymore. I didn't have the time to visit him and really talk face to face before he went, which I still regret.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 11:14:18 AM
Tonight I learned that another person I knew had passed away.  She’d been battling cancer, and I thought things were going well for her, but apparently not as well as I had hoped.  She was younger than me, married and a mother of two, and I didn’t know her as well as many of my friends did- we were friends of friends, having only met a few times.

Every time this happens, and it seems to happen more and more as I get older, I can’t help but wonder if I ever told that person what they meant to me, and how much I appreciated them.  Maybe in this case it isn’t so bad, as I said, I really didn’t know her well, but it is still a reminder for the rest of us to say what we usually don’t before it’s too late.

I know, this forum is largely dominated by men and men don’t have feelings.  And, if we do have feelings, we certainly don’t acknowledge them, right?  After all, it isn’t manly to tell someone that you appreciate them, or that they matter.  Hell, they will probably think you’ve gone soft, or are dying or something.

Plus, it can be awkward- I know this for a fact, as for the past few years I have been trying to let people know when I appreciate them, and how much I value them, and it isn’t always easy.  I have not traded a serious word with many of my closest friends in years, if ever.  That level of bullsmurftery is why those people have been my friends for years and telling them that they matter kind of flies in the face of every time I told them that I really needed to find a better class of friends if I was going to be seen in public with them.

But, it’s better to take a moment and write them a short note- a PM on the forum, a message on Facebook, an email or whatever, or just tell them outright to their face that they matter, and that you appreciate them being in your life.  It may seem a bit awkward at the time, and they may ride you for having little girly feelings for years to come, but the fact is, that is still better than the alternative of not being able to tell them and wishing you had.

Def

Sorry I'm late, but my better half says the same thing to me all the time, and it's spot on correct!  :iagree:

it is important to praise people, tell people that they matter to you and that you appreciate them. Wether its coworkers, family, loved ones or friends, doesn't matter!

So much negativity in todays world, and one only tends to hear about all the bad things going on, and what people doesn't like about you or has against you....which sickens me to say the least......Before I started my own company, I remember working in places where all a manager did was tell you what you did wrong and all you heard from co-workers was dumb smurf like "your computer is making too much noise" or "the strap on your bag is on my desk" blah blah blah....I mean seriously..really? ..like really? ...I also remember having to force it out of my manager to say "Well done chap, good job" or get coworkers to say nice things about you.

Some f*cking world we live in! ...I'm telling ya..
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 12:11:42 PM

Powerfully told... Both your parents? That's incredibly hard. Respect for telling us. :salute:

A vaguely similar experience I had pales in comparison with yours, but I still have regrets because of it. It involved my dad just before he rather suddenly passed. With hindsight I might have felt it coming. The phone conversation on the occasion of his last birthday just before he passed (we lived in different countries) was eerily superficial - his replies were strangely noncommittal, and didn't invite any deeper questions. Only later, I heard from my mom that he'd seemingly lost the appetite for life. The body was degrading more quickly than the mind, and the mind apparently not willing to take it anymore. I didn't have the time to visit him and really talk face to face before he went, which I still regret.

Fortunately I still have both my parents, I'm just extremely upset about the effect my latest troubles has had on them.  It's like I saw them shrink when I got the news, and I can just imagine what it must feel like as a parent when you see the odds stacked so severely against your child......

Yes, fathers and sons, never easy.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 01:43:40 PM
Yes, indeed...

I must apologise. On first reading your post I hadn't realised just what was going on with yourself, and I'm humbled at your guts and openness in telling us :salute: :salute:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 02:46:52 PM
No worries  :salute: ....I said "ones I loved".....fortunately they're still around and I still love them.

humbled at your guts and openness in telling us :salute: :salute:

....and my shame that I tell "strangers" instead of the person I should be telling.

As always, there are reasons for that as well.

Most important thing is we must always be so careful how we treat others, the damage a few words spoken in anger (or withheld) can do is unbelievable.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 02:50:56 PM
GG, its different for every parent I'm sure.  I have 3 and each is in their own stage of life.  I love each desperately and completely.  Each hurdle, each challenge, each obstacle they encounter is one I go thru too.  When they talk me thru their struggles either before ( better for me ) or after ( gut wrenching ) I feel thankful they did.  I know life packs a swift cruel and seemingly unfair smack down at times but I also know my kids never go out without a good fight.  Its really all I can ask. 

As a parent sure the road paved with gold and whatever is the one we want out kids on.  No we don't want any hurt or pain to befall them.  As long as they come to me at some point I'm good.  You'd be surprised how huge a parents shoulders are for the burdens we bare.  You'd be surprised how huge our capacity to not feel overwhelmed even in the eye of our kids worst storm.  We have chosen to be a parent.  We may not have anticipated particular or certain scenarios our kids will find themselves in BUT as parents we persevere along with them. 

GG what I'm trying to say is, as a father to girls and a boy,  you'd be surprised at what we can be hit with and while we may flinch, we fight on, for our kids sake, and for our own. 

All the best to you.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69