Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

POLL: VICS (Combo tool) or (can+bottle opener)???

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
POLL: VICS (Combo tool) or (can+bottle opener)???
on: October 01, 2018, 07:12:56 PM
Surpringsely I prefer the combo tool.

One layer less and more practical to me  :like: :think:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: POLL: VICS (Combo tool) or (can+bottle opener)???
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:15:16 PM
Love me the opener layer  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 07:24:08 PM
I don´t need the full opener layer. Beer opener and corkscrew will do for me. So I vote combo tool.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:26:27 PM
I carried a Compact with the combo tool for a number of years.  Replaced it as my EDC with a Pioneer X when they came out. So I've used a SAK with both approaches.  I appreciate the dedicated tools, but I also appreciate the slimming effect of combining them with the combo tool.  No surprise that I would love to have an old Voyager.
Guess I didn't really answer the question. :facepalm:
- Steve

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:28:43 PM
Depends on the knife, and the intended carry situation. I have, like, and use, both configurations. I have a few mods planned, which will use both configurations too

One of the deciding factors for over of which I'd prefer on a knife, is not the openers, but the awl. From a modding perspective this can be frustrating. If I add the 93mm awl to a 91mm or 84mm knife, and keep the opener layer, I have two awls, which I don't want. If I use the combo tool opposite the main blade, and ditch the opener layer, there's no awl. I managed to conjure up a solution on the Mega84, and have another solution in mind for one of the other upcoming mods.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:29:54 PM
Opener layer is worth it to me for the phillips driver alone. Also, the dedicated bottle opener makes a better prybar. My dream SAK has an inline phillips across from both openers on the same side. By the way, I can't see where the poll is.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 07:40:27 PM
Opener layer is worth it to me for the phillips driver alone. Also, the dedicated bottle opener makes a better prybar. My dream SAK has an inline phillips across from both openers on the same side. By the way, I can't see where the poll is.

^^^^  This.

I have seen mods that had this layout and yeah that would be the best.  I too have used a Compact as well as other stock 91mm's with the opening layer and I actually prefer the opening layer as I think it is more useful but do like the slimmer designs and thought behind the combo tool.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 07:58:14 PM
For me its the opening layer all the way, no contest...

The combo tool is near useless to me. The diference in thickness of the Compact for Climber/Super Tinker is not much for me.
And if i want 2 layers id rather go scissor-less (full size at least) than to go with anything with a combo tool/scissors.

Just to gove some perspective on this however, the actual oficial functions of cap lifter and can opener are near irrelevant to me. The opening layer are my screw/bit drivers, pry bars, scraper, pusher, puller, and what ever else i can come up with uses for them.
The combo tool is too unreliable with mist of it IMO.

I would only give up a full opening layer for something identical to a Voyager, with the reverse standard bottle opener on the blade layer, and a Philips on the back (no CS)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 08:39:04 PM
Like others, for me it depends.  In a SAK with the in-line Phillips/mag layer or the bit-driver layer, I usually prefer the combo tool to keep the SAK as compact as possible.  However, I do sometimes miss the awl.

Otherwise, without the in-line Philllips layer, I prefer the opener layer because the can opener works well for Phillips screws and I always prefer the corkscrew w/mini screwdriver to the backspring Phillips.
- Terry

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:03 PM
The combo tool works fine for my needs, but I won't sacrifice the awl just to have one less layer.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 09:51:03 PM
Can+Bottle opener.  :tu: I edc a Rambler and a Pioneer duo. :dd:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 10:22:54 PM
For a long time I've liked the opener layer.
Then about a year and a half ago I threw a combo tool into a mod for kicks and giggles.

I've been keen to remake/change up my edc 91 and 93mm saks but deciding between the openers isn't easy.
The 93mm has 3 options based on the phillips, 4 layer with mag glass, 4 layer with both openers, 3 layer with bottle opener.
Is the can opener worth all the weight and size of a 4th back spring?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 11:39:01 PM
I love the space the combo saves on my Hunter and Bantom but it's the worse bottle and can oppener I've ever used.
IMG_20181001_143823.jpg
* IMG_20181001_143823.jpg (Filesize: 87.2 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 11:51:52 PM
You can't expect perfection from a tool that does both jobs, but I've never had any issue opening a bottle with one, and it's something I do frequently.  I don't really feel it's better or worse at bottles than the dedicated opener, it just takes a slightly different technique.  It's definitely not as good at cans, but it works and I rarely open a can with a SAK.
- Terry

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 12:22:04 AM
I love the space the combo saves on my Hunter and Bantom but it's the worse bottle and can oppener I've ever used.

You can simply pry by the side with the combo tool, is it difficult for you?  :oops:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 12:49:52 AM

You can simply pry by the side with the combo tool, is it difficult for you?  :oops:

Pry the side? Not sure what you mean? The combo tool works it's just it doesn't work any where near as well as the oppener layer. But I do like the space it saves.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 01:30:55 AM
I've found that different cans prefer different openers. If i'm at home and either type seems to be struggling, switching to the other type sorts it out. If i'm not at home, and I have either with me, I know I'll not go hungry. As to the cap lifter function, I think the combo tool does an excellent job.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 01:54:18 AM
Where's the Poll?   :rant:

Opener lay rocks. And provides more options.

Combo tool......is OK.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 02:28:56 AM
 :iagree: no poll

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 02:31:29 AM
If alex asks nicely then a mod can post up some poll options.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 08:15:41 AM
I have just one combo tool. I've never used it and really only bought the knife it's on for collecting's sake.

Everyone has different needs and the opener layer fits mine very well. Without it, a SK is naked - not in a sexy way! :o

The can opener is my favourite of any kind and I use the Phillips tip often. It's also the best tool ever for removing broken spitter connectors in irrigation lines. :tu:

The flat screwdriver makes a fine flat SD :P as well as pry tool or whatever. On the 111mm liner locks it's a pleasingly substantial tool (that locks!). I don't refer to it as a cap lifter or bottle opener because I'm not much of a drinker, thus only rarely needing to open bottles.  :cheers:
Rambler

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:53 PM
The combo tool is never the right answer.  It works just fine as a tool but you miss out on so much more: the robust cap lifter, excellent can opener, lovely poky awl and the wonderful small blade.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 02:49:04 PM
The combo tool is never the right answer.  It works just fine as a tool but you miss out on so much more: the robust cap lifter, excellent can opener, lovely poky awl and the wonderful small blade.

:iagree:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 02:55:49 PM
Where's the Poll?  I prefer the two separate tools. The combo tool is about useless.
Perception is reality

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 02:56:28 PM
I really wanted to like the combo tool.  I really did.  Just isnt for me.  The can and bottle opener are so versatile in their own right.  I have never opened a bottle but I've pried and scraped and turned my fair share.  The can opener is used several times a week in the kitchen.  I have also used the sharp edge to scrape and cut tapped boxes open.  The little drive on the tip is pretty terrific too. 

My 84mm Golfer has become a shelf queen because the combo tool.  I tried to like the combo tool, I really did.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 03:18:48 PM

+2  :iagree:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 03:24:49 PM
I never tried to use a knife with combo tool as EDC. I don't know, I like the idea of having different size screwdrivers. A 84-91mm with openers layer and a corkscrew with mini screwdriver (+ a 58mm signature as keychain) and i have more then enough, i guess. :D
I also love the small blade  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 03:29:59 PM
I've EDC'd the Compact. It makes a great EDC.

....if you can live without the openers.   ;)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 06:40:14 PM
 :iagree:, but you're not really living without openers with the combo tool, you're living without a small screwdriver, blade and an awl.

The compact and other combo-tool SAKs are excellent to pair up with other multitools for lightweight carry.  I'm guessing that most people who feel they have to have the opener layer carry a SAK exclusively, and I get that.  I used to do that years ago, and at that time I always preferred the opener layer.

Also, I use multitools--including SAKs--as backup or convenience tools.  If I'm in the kitchen I grab a proper can opener, cap lifter or knife and don't typically use the one on my SAK.  Likewise, if I have proper tools nearby I use them (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.) and not the ones on my multi-tools.  As a backup opener, the combo tool works just fine but I wouldn't use it every day.  I don't consider it "about useless" by any means.  I've opened many bottles and cans with one and turned many screws with success.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:08:58 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 07:33:14 PM

So much so......

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56