Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

POLL: VICS (Combo tool) or (can+bottle opener)???

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Re: POLL: VICS (Combo tool) or (can+bottle opener)???
Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 07:36:07 PM
I love the space the combo saves on my Hunter and Bantom but it's the worse bottle and can oppener I've ever used.

You can simply pry by the side with the combo tool, is it difficult for you?  :oops:

Pry the side? Not sure what you mean? The combo tool works it's just it doesn't work any where near as well as the oppener layer. But I do like the space it saves.

Take a screwdriver like this, and pry the same way:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 02, 2018, 07:49:35 PM

Why not just use the combo tool as it was meant to be used?
- Terry

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #33 on: October 02, 2018, 08:05:54 PM

But then I would have to carry a second tool for prying.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: October 02, 2018, 08:10:44 PM

Well, there are some very nice key chain pry bars out there.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #35 on: October 02, 2018, 08:14:37 PM

I'm not sure what you mean here...  I was referring to alexTOOL's suggestion to use the combo tool to pry off a bottle cap like a screwdriver.  Why use the screwdriver method when the intended method works just fine?

And, as far as second tools go, that's exactly what I was referring to with my prior post.  Many of us carry other tools with our SAK, so the combo tool fits the bill for our overall toolset.  If you need one tool (a SAK) to have an awl, turn phillips screws, pry, etc., by all means carry one with an opener layer.

I personally love the fact that I can choose if I want to carry a combo tool or an opener layer depending on what else I'm carrying and not have to carry the extra bulk of redundant tools.  :SAKnight:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:22:37 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: October 02, 2018, 08:22:36 PM
 :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #37 on: October 02, 2018, 08:31:34 PM

I just realized the combo I'm carrying today is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Why do I need an opener layer on my SAK?  I don't really need a combo tool for that matter, and I have a bottle opener on the Rambler on my keychain.  But for me it's nice to have a bottle opener more accessible on my knife rather than having to unfold the Paratool when I need it.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:46:57 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
POLL: VICS (Combo tool) or (can+bottle opener)???
Reply #38 on: October 02, 2018, 11:23:08 PM
:iagree:

So much so......

(Image removed from quote.)
:like: very nice!
What is that thing called? Methinks it is a perfect rebar pair.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 02, 2018, 11:40:39 PM

I just realized the combo I'm carrying today is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Why do I need an opener layer on my SAK?  I don't really need a combo tool for that matter, and I have a bottle opener on the Rambler on my keychain.  But for me it's nice to have a bottle opener more accessible on my knife rather than having to unfold the Paratool when I need it.

I agree with your point, and understand it. But it will always depend from person to person, and needs/uses. I just carry a Sak with me. no MT's or any other stuff, so even tho i tried to like the Compact, and considered if it was worth it getting one or not, i keep getting that feeling that i'd be better off carrying an Executive instead (in that context), because the capabilities for what i need out of what it offers would be the same but in a smaller package. Basically the Compact would give me a blade and a scissors (same as the Execuitve), the combo tool would have roughly about the same amount of efficiency/sturdiness as a screwdriver as the orange peeler on the Executive, and i would even gain a file... The hook and CS are totally irrelevant for the point here (for me).

Compared to a sak with opening layers, i would loose (like you said earlier) the two dedicated opening (sturdy) tools, not really relevant to me for their primary function like i've said before, but for all the other uses i can get out f them; the small blade (which incidentally is usually my main blade); and the awl. For me that's way too much function too loose right there for one layer thinner, and to keep the scissors. It makes more sense to me to loose the scissors if i want to slim down to two layers, i will still have two blades to cut stuff with...  :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 01:40:55 AM

I agree with your point, and understand it. But it will always depend from person to person, and needs/uses. I just carry a Sak with me.

Absolutely it does, and as I stated, "If you need one tool (a SAK) to have an awl, turn phillips screws, pry, etc., by all means carry one with an opener layer."  Everyone is going to have a different opinion here, there is no right or wrong...

You make a great point about the Executive, and I think people sometimes overlook the great amount of functionality it has for daily usage.  Frequently it would satisfy my needs but I pick the Compact instead simply because I like the 91mm form-factor better. I consider smaller-frame knives unsafe to a point because I can't get a good enough grip on them for many jobs.

Even though I often carry more than one tool, I want the vast majority of my required functionality in my knife as a convenience, not in a plier-based tool.  So, I tend to pick the SAK I need for my uses and supplement it with a plier-based tool if I think I might need one.  More often than not I only carry a SAK, but if so I will usually carry one with more functionality than a Compact, even though that doesn't necessarily mean that I will need the opener layer and an awl for my uses.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:12:14 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: October 03, 2018, 01:50:27 AM
The hook and CS are totally irrelevant for the point here (for me).

You seem to be faulty. Please report to the Mothership for reprogramming.

:assimilate:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #42 on: October 03, 2018, 04:50:10 AM
It's like asking if you prefer flip flops or boots... Depends on the situation. Both have advantages
I like them awl.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 07:36:17 AM
The hook and CS are totally irrelevant for the point here (for me).

You seem to be faulty. Please report to the Mothership for reprogramming.

:assimilate:

Lol  :rofl:

What i meant was its irrelevant to the Compact vs Executive discussion (for my use) Id certainly wouldn't base my decision on the lack or not of a CS, even less a hook. I have them and use them because they're kind of "there" on a lot of my sak's, but there not in the least priority tools,for me.

And even less the plus scales, as the only benefit is the pen, and they increase the sak thickness....
I've put plus scales on my explorer a while ago, and made an already thick sak, thicker... Unnecessary, for me.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline undertaker99

Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 02:06:25 AM
How well does the combo tool work on phillips screws?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 02:13:37 AM
Not awl that well IMO
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #46 on: October 15, 2018, 02:45:14 AM
Not awl that well IMO

:iagree:

It's not a problem for me, as I usually rely on my accompanying pliers based tool to handle Phillips screws, but if all you have is the combo tool, you could be in for a tedious time

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 05:50:52 AM
Typically I'm going to carry either the 84 or 91 Golfer.  The combo tool works just fine for what it's designed to do.   :cheers:

But if I'm doing some activity where I think the opener layer would be more useful, then the Golfer stays in the bowl and either the SuperTinker, Explorer, or Yeoman gets pocket time. :dunno: :salute:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: October 15, 2018, 01:22:34 PM
I prefer the can + bottle opener.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #49 on: October 15, 2018, 01:32:55 PM
But if I'm doing some activity where I think the opener layer would be more useful, then the Golfer stays in the bowl and either the SuperTinker, Explorer, or Yeoman gets pocket time. :dunno: :salute:

:think:  A Yeoman isn't going to help you much with an opener layer, unless it's a BSA Yeoman (Explorer)...
- Terry

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: October 15, 2018, 11:26:04 PM
Two opener layer all the way.
My first SAK was a Bantam, and the combi tool snapped using it as a pry tool, replaced it with a recruit, and those openers have pried, poked, prodded, screwed, and even opened bottles and cans for over 25 years with no sign of damage  :tu:

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #51 on: October 16, 2018, 12:13:40 AM
I prefer the opener to the gimmicky fad tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%